5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
The national railway company of Austria is known as the Slovenske železnice (SŽ). Slovenia has over 1,200 km of railway network. Train tickets for trains operating in Slovenia can be booked in advance. International trains connect Slovenia with neighbouring countries such as Austria and Croatia. Book tickets to visit main cities of Slovenia by train. Slovenian cities including Ljubljana, Bled and Maribor are all served by trains.
The picturesque capital Ljubljana is Slovenia’s only city, so enjoy the eclectically influenced capital while you’re there. After admiring the beautiful architecture and the young trendy inhabitants, take the Slovenia Railjet train service to Maribor, the largest town. Here you’ll find the oldest vine in the world and plenty of shops and markets, as well as a beautiful waterfront.
Slovenia is only small, making it easy to accomplish a lot in your time there. Ski down snow-capped Alpine mountains and swim in the turquoise Adriatic on the same day. Slovenia’s modern and efficient train system gets you around the city easily.
Visit the tourist area of Postojna and the UNESCO site Škocjan to experience the caves and go crazy in the gift shop with trinkets and souvenirs. Otherwise the best shopping is in the capital, just over an hour away on the train from both sites.
Food & Drink
Slovenian food is heavy, meaty and plain. For something unique to the area try Kraški pršut, which is like Italian prosciutto, or štruklji, dumplings prepared in 70 different ways stuffed with sweet fillings, meat or vegetables. Try the Adam Ravbar beer, in Domžale, 1/2 hour on the local train from Ljubljana.
Get the adrenaline pumping with adventures in Posocje and Triglav National Park, where you can try canyoning, rafting and paragliding.
Rail Pass benefits in Slovenia
A Eurail Pass valid in Slovenia is valid with the national railway company SZ (www.slo-zeleznice.si).
If you have a Global Pass, you only need a seat reservation to board the international IC bus. Otherwise if you have a rail pass which is not valid in a country where the bus operates, you will need a reservation and a ticket. Routes are Munich-Ljublijana-Zagreb.
- MC hotel Brezice Special price starting from EUR 14.40, www.mc-hostel.si
- Bohinj Park Hotel 10% discount on aquapark access
- Hotel Park Ljubljana 15% discount
Other pass benefits
- Atlantis Water Park 25% discount; www.atlantis-vodnomesto.si/
- SZ bus Free bus service from Divaca to Skocjan Caves
- Rimske Terme (Roman Spa) 25% discount for the pool and sauna, 15% discount on spa services at the Wellness Center Amalija. www.rimske-terme.si
- Lasko Wellness Park and Zdravilisce Lasko 20% discount on use of swimming pool, sauna and both activities combined with lunch; www.thermana.si
- Terme Catez- 15% discount on access to Summer and Winter Thermal Riviera and Suana Park from Mon-Friday. (10% Sat-Sun)