BritRail Spirit of Scotland PassBritRail
- Unlimited travel in Scotland.
- Children under 5 travel for free.More details
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the most complete pass to explore Scotland. Discover breath-taking landscapes en-route to must-see destinations including Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth, and Stirling.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Discount on Heritage Railways Association’s trains, discounted ferry trips, free bus travel and more are included in your pass.
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner, the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass. Please note that residents of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
Children under 5 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 5 to 15 travel. Free travel limited to 1 child when accompanied by an adult who is a holder of a valid BritRail Pass.
As a rail pass will still be issued for the child, please make sure you include him/her in your booking.
All additional children aged 5 to 15 will benefit from a discounted fare.
How to use a rail pass?
Taking local and regional trains allows you to explore at will. Simply board with your rail pass and choose any open seat. Reservations are required on most high speed, overnight, scenic, and international trains. We recommend always checking your desired journey for any specific seat reservation requirements.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
And the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. You’ll get discounts museums & activities, and more.
With the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass, the benefits like the connections it provides - are everywhere. Whether you are an adventurous traveler or avid planner, the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is your pass to freedom and an unforgettable journey of discovery.
- 20% discount on Northlink Ferries standard fares between Scrabster / Stromness - Aberdeen / Lerwick - Aberdeen/Kirkwall/Lerwick. (Valid only on day of sailing, and applies to reclining seat fares only, not cabin inclusive.
- Up to 20% off on participating Heritage Railways Association’s trains.
- Access to Scottish Citylink bus travel between: Oban / Fort William / Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh / Uig - Inverness / Ullapool - Oban / Campbeltown - Wick / Thurso.
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Mull with Bowmans Coaches.
- Free bus travel between Thurso / Scrabster - Wick / John O’Groats - Thurso / John O’Groats with Highland Country Buses.
- Free First Edinburgh services to/from the Scottish Borders (Kelso - Melrose - Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh (No 62); and Carlisle - Langholm - Hawick - Galashiels - Edinburgh (No X95).
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Skye with Highland Country Buses.
- Free services between Kyleakin and Kyle of Lochalsh. Not valid before 09:15 a.m. Monday to Friday on all services except West Highland Line (Glasgow - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig) and Inverness - Kyle Of Lochalsh/Wick/Thurso (North of Scotland lines)
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the best way to visit and travel Scotland extensively. Discover Scotland’s historic castles, gorgeous countryside and charming cities with unlimited rail travel within Scotland.
- A. Validation of your pass is having a Rail Official at the train station stamp your pass as valid.
- A. If you are having trouble determining what is the best pass for you, click on the blue square button " Search passes ". You'll be helped, on line, to select the best pass for your trip.
- A. A consecutive-day pass provides unlimited rail travel on any day or all days for the duration of the pass. A flexipass is valid for a specific number of days within a longer period.
- A. There are no check-in before boarding a Thalys train and ticket control and passport checks will occur onboard the train. Also worth remembering that children less than 12 years old travelling alone are not accepted on board Thalys trains.
- A. From London to Paris and vice versa, Eurostar offers frequent service: every 30 minutes during peak hours and approximately once per hour during non-peak time. During the peak summer season, up to 24 trains run daily to Paris. From London to Brussels and vice versa, service is offered approximately every 2 hours. During summer, Eurostar offers daily service to Disneyland Paris. During winter, there is 1 train a week.
- A. No, there are no student discounts. Discounts are offered to youth travelers instead. A youth traveler is any traveler who is 25 years of age or younger.
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
- A. You can travel in first or second class. It depends on the classes of services which correspond to your German Rail Pass. In the ExpressBus to/from Munich to Prague, only 2nd class is available.
- A. You can make reservations to travel on TGV Lyria trains up to 3 months before your travel date. To take advantage of the best fares, always try to buy your ticket as early as possible. And when buying your TGV Lyria tickets, check what exchange and refund conditions apply. Your fare type will be clearly stated on your ticket.
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
answered | Posted by Ellie L. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
answered | Posted by Samantha Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/07/2016
answered | Posted by Pooja W. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/05/2016
answered | Posted by Gene F. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/05/2016
answered | Posted by HY L. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/04/2016