BritRail Spirit of Scotland PassBritRail
- Unlimited travel in Scotland.
- Children under 5 travel for free.More details
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the most complete pass to explore Scotland. Discover breath-taking landscapes en-route to must-see destinations including Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth, and Stirling.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Discount on Heritage Railways Association’s trains, discounted ferry trips, free bus travel and more are included in your pass.
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner, the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass. Please note that residents of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
Children under 5 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 5 to 15 travel. Free travel limited to 1 child when accompanied by an adult who is a holder of a valid BritRail Pass.
As a rail pass will still be issued for the child, please make sure you include him/her in your booking.
All additional children aged 5 to 15 will benefit from a discounted fare.
How to use a rail pass?
Taking local and regional trains allows you to explore at will. Simply board with your rail pass and choose any open seat. Reservations are required on most high speed, overnight, scenic, and international trains. We recommend always checking your desired journey for any specific seat reservation requirements.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 20% discount on Northlink Ferries standard fares between Scrabster / Stromness - Aberdeen / Lerwick - Aberdeen/Kirkwall/Lerwick. (Valid only on day of sailing, and applies to reclining seat fares only, not cabin inclusive.
- Up to 20% off on participating Heritage Railways Association’s trains.
- Access to Scottish Citylink bus travel between: Oban / Fort William / Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh / Uig - Inverness / Ullapool - Oban / Campbeltown - Wick / Thurso.
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Mull with Bowmans Coaches.
- Free bus travel between Thurso / Scrabster - Wick / John O’Groats - Thurso / John O’Groats with Highland Country Buses.
- Free First Edinburgh services to/from the Scottish Borders (Kelso - Melrose - Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh (No 62); and Carlisle - Langholm - Hawick - Galashiels - Edinburgh (No X95).
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Skye with Highland Country Buses.
- Free services between Kyleakin and Kyle of Lochalsh. Not valid before 09:15 a.m. Monday to Friday on all services except West Highland Line (Glasgow - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig) and Inverness - Kyle Of Lochalsh/Wick/Thurso (North of Scotland lines)
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the best way to visit and travel Scotland extensively. Discover Scotland’s historic castles, gorgeous countryside and charming cities with unlimited rail travel within Scotland.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Italy pass offers unlimited rail travel in Italy from 3 to 10 days. If you’re planning to travel several times by train, buying a Eurail Italy pass will be a more affordable option that buying individual rail tickets.
- A. Yes all high-speed trains require reservations. Some 1st class trains include meal service in the price of your ticket.
- A.No. A German Rail Pass Extension alone is not valid to travel on board trains. You have to use your extension as an add-on to your German Rail Pass.
- A. Eurostar is a reservation-only service and bookings can be taken up to 6 months in advance. Also bear in mind that Eurostar is not included in the Eurail pass or France Rail Pass program but you can still get a discount on Eurostar when buying a pass.
- A. Special amenities for disabled travelers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.). Special equipment is also available for use by handicapped passengers. This equipment must be reserved locally in advance. Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
- A. - Business class offers the highest class of service in trains. It will include 1st seats, meals , access to lounges, and no restrictions on being exchanged. Flexi First class offers on day train 1st class seat , and are the most exchangeable. Night trains will offer first class couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Meal service may be available for purchase. Best Price First class day trains will also offer 1st class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Meal service may be available for purchase. Night trains will offer first class couchette or sleepers and lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Flexi Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats that are exchangeable. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Best Price Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Super Saver class is available on night train only and will offer reclingin seats with with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions.
- A. You can print your Thalys ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available in FRANCE ONLY before boarding your Thalys train.
- A. No. A ticket allows you to board the train, but does not guarantee you a seat. You must make a seat reservation to have a guaranteed seat on the train. NOTE: On certain trains tickets and reservations are sold together as one ticket.
- A. You will need to first figure out who wants to share, and who does not. Once you have your travel party broken down, request the number of passengers who want to share a room together and request as either a 1, 2 or 3 person room. Request each compartment separately until all passengers have been reserved in a room.
answered | Posted by Ellie L. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
answered | Posted by Samantha Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/07/2016
answered | Posted by Pooja W. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/05/2016
answered | Posted by Gene F. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/05/2016
answered | Posted by HY L. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/04/2016