BritRail Spirit of Scotland PassBritRail
- Unlimited travel in Scotland.
- Children under 5 travel for free.More details
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the most complete pass to explore Scotland. Discover breath-taking landscapes en-route to must-see destinations including Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen, Perth, and Stirling.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Discount on Heritage Railways Association’s trains, discounted ferry trips, free bus travel and more are included in your pass.
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner, the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass. Please note that residents of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
Children under 5 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 5 to 15 travel. Free travel limited to 1 child when accompanied by an adult who is a holder of a valid BritRail Pass.
As a rail pass will still be issued for the child, please make sure you include him/her in your booking.
All additional children aged 5 to 15 will benefit from a discounted fare.
How to use a rail pass?
You must start using your rail pass within 11 months of the date of purchase.
To start using your rail pass, go to a European railway station where a railway official will fill-in your passport number and stamp your rail pass. On each travel day, please remember to write down the date on your rail pass.
Passengers travelling without having written down the above information risk a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day lasts 24 hours from midnight to midnight.You can take as many trains as you want during a travel day.
The 7 pm rule allows you to benefit from a free travel day if the following conditions are met:
- Your pass should be activated.
- You must travel on board a night train departing after 7 pm and this should be your first trip of the day.
- You must reach your destination after 4 am on the next day.
- Your arrival date should be within the validity of the pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.
For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 20% discount on Northlink Ferries standard fares between Scrabster / Stromness - Aberdeen / Lerwick - Aberdeen/Kirkwall/Lerwick. (Valid only on day of sailing, and applies to reclining seat fares only, not cabin inclusive.
- Up to 20% off on participating Heritage Railways Association’s trains.
- Access to Scottish Citylink bus travel between: Oban / Fort William / Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh / Uig - Inverness / Ullapool - Oban / Campbeltown - Wick / Thurso.
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Mull with Bowmans Coaches.
- Free bus travel between Thurso / Scrabster - Wick / John O’Groats - Thurso / John O’Groats with Highland Country Buses.
- Free First Edinburgh services to/from the Scottish Borders (Kelso - Melrose - Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh (No 62); and Carlisle - Langholm - Hawick - Galashiels - Edinburgh (No X95).
- Free bus travel on the Isle of Skye with Highland Country Buses.
- Free services between Kyleakin and Kyle of Lochalsh. Not valid before 09:15 a.m. Monday to Friday on all services except West Highland Line (Glasgow - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig) and Inverness - Kyle Of Lochalsh/Wick/Thurso (North of Scotland lines)
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
The BritRail Spirit of Scotland Pass is the best way to visit and travel Scotland extensively. Discover Scotland’s historic castles, gorgeous countryside and charming cities with unlimited rail travel within Scotland.
Q. Is it possible to purchase a 2nd Class Eurail Select Pass instead of a 1st Class Eurail Select Pass?A. Eurail Select Pass is only available in 1st Class for adults and children. Eurail Select Youth Pass is offered in 2nd class to travelers under age 26.
Q. Do I need more than a German Rail Pass extension to travel to Prague and then to another city if I have a 4 day in a month German Rail Pass?A. No. Only one extension is need. You can travel wherever and as many times as you want during the 4 days within 1 month in relation with your rail pass.
- A. The prices of accommodations on an overnight train are dependent on a few factors: 1. The expense of the ticket 2. The type of train you will be traveling on 3. The type of compartment you wish to sleep in Similar to Day trains there are different levels of overnight trains. Typically, during the day, high-speed premier trains are more expensive then local services that travel at a slower speed, and offer fewer services on-board. For night trains longer International journeys are more expensive as they tend to be nicer trains, offering the traveler more services.
- A. Special amenities for disabled travelers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.). Special equipment is also available for use by handicapped passengers. This equipment must be reserved locally in advance. Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. A pass holder is a reduced fare that can be purchased in place of a ticket. It requires the use of 1 day on a rail pass and is generally required for high-speed trains.
Q. There is also a train connection from Munich to Prague, can I use these trains to travel to Prague with the coupon?A. No, the German Rail Pass Extension is only valid on the DB Expressbus between Munich/Nuremberg and Prague.
- A. Some passes may be purchased in Europe at a higher cost. It is best to place your order before you departure to ensure that you have your paper documents in hand.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
answered | Posted by Ellie L. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/09/2016
answered | Posted by Samantha Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/07/2016
answered | Posted by Pooja W. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/05/2016
answered | Posted by Gene F. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/05/2016
answered | Posted by HY L. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/04/2016