Eurail Italy PassFrom € 128 From € 128 Eurail
Enjoy 20% off your Eurail Pass
Book before 28/12/2016 and save 20% on your Eurail Pass!
- Unlimited travel in Italy.
- Discount for families or groups of 2-5 people with the Saver Pass.
- Children up to 11 travel for free. More details
- Youth (12 - 25) discounts available
The Eurail Italy Pass is the most comprehensive way to explore Italy. Engage in La Dolce Vita, feast on giant bowls of pasta and taste aromatic wines while passing through the dazzling Italian landscapes! Visit Rome and discover the remains of its glorious past. Have a romantic time on a gondola in Venice or discover Milan the fashion capital of Italy!
The Eurail Italy Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The Eurail Italy Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Hotel discounts, reduced museum fares and more are included in your pass.
It also comes with a Eurail travel pack (Travel map and user guide).
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner the Eurail Italy Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living in a non-European country can use the Italy Pass. Please note that residents of Russia and Turkey are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
What is a Saver Pass?
A Saver Pass is a single pass listing the names of all people travelling together. It is offered to families or groups of 2 to 5 people.
- Adults usually get a 15% discount with a Saver Pass.
- Remember, children can travel for free with an adult. See conditions below.
Children under 4 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 4 to 11 travel for free. As a rail pass will still be issued for them, please make sure you include them in your booking. For guaranteed seats on board high speed and night trains, please remember to book a seat for you and your children.
How to use a rail pass?
You must start using your rail pass within 11 months of the date of purchase.
To start using your rail pass, go to a European railway station where a railway official will fill-in your passport number and stamp your rail pass. On each travel day, please remember to write down the date on your rail pass.
You should record your trip in the Travel Report on the rail pass cover.
Passengers travelling without having written down the above information risk a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day lasts 24 hours from midnight to midnight.You can take as many trains as you want during a travel day.
The 7 pm rule allows you to benefit from a free travel day if the following conditions are met:
- Your pass should be activated.
- You must travel on board a night train departing after 7 pm and this should be your first trip of the day.
- You must reach your destination after 4 am on the next day.
- Your arrival date should be within the validity of the pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.
For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
Get a free travel pack when you book a Eurail Pass from Rail Europe. The travel package contains a user guide and a detailed map of the European railway network.
Rail Pass benefits in Italy
- Free transfer is available on the Leonardo Express between Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station for 1st class passholders only. Please note that this transfer requires the use of one day of travel on the pass.
- From Rome Fiumicino Airport on high speed train to/from Florence/Bologna/Padova/Venice.
- Free transportation on the ÖBB Intercitybus (1st and 2nd class) between Klagenfurt/Villach-Venezia Mestre & Venezia Tronchetto if the Eurail pass is valid in both Austria and Italy. Reservations are required and can be made locally.
- Discounted fares on Thello international night and day trains between France and Italy if your pass is valid in France and/or Italy.
- Milano-Pavia-Voghera-Genova-Savona-Finale Ligure-Albenga-Alassaio Diano-Marina-Imperia-San Remo-Ventimiglia-Menton-Monaco-Nice-Antibes-Cannes-St Raphael-Les Arcs-Toulon-Marseille
- Attica Group/Operated by Superfast Ferries for International routes offers free air seats/dormitories for 1st class pass holders, free deck passage for 2nd class pass holders with a pass valid in Greece AND Italy. Bari-Corfu/Igoumenitsa/Patras and Ancona/Venice - Igoumenitsa/Patras. High season surcharge and port taxes may apply.
- 20% reduction on the Official Fares and 10% reduction on accommodation supplements for Pullman seats, berths or on crossings operated by Grimaldi Ferries on the following routes: Barcelona-Civitavecchia, Barcelona-Livorno, Barcelona-Porto Torres (Sardinia), Brindisi-Igoumenitsa and Patras, Civitavecchia / Porto Torres/Trapani, Livorno-Barcelona, Igoumenitsa/Patras-Ravenna, Salerno/Palermo. Seasonal surcharges and/or port taxes may apply.
- Minoan Lines International Free air-type seats for 1st class pass holders, free deck passage for 2nd class pass holders with a pass valid in Greece AND Italy. Patras/Igoumenitsa-Ancona/Ravenna/Trieste. Seasonal surcharges and/or port taxes may apply.
Free Hot Fudge Sundae when you order any main course. Free gift in Rock Shop for all purchase over € 25. Hard Rock Cafe, Florence, Via Brunelleschi 1, Rome, Via V. Veneto 62a, Venice, Bacino Orseolo and the Rock Shop at Rialto Bridge.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very accessible and easy to find. Although the physical train station addresses are generally not listed, the stations are centrally located within the city and accessible with the cities public transportation system or taxi. Check with hotel concierge to give you the best directions from your hotel. Taxi drivers know how to get your to your station fast and worry free.
- A. A travel day lasts 24 hours, in which you can take as many trains or public transport services as you wish.
- A. You will be able to book your TGV tickets 90 days in advance.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
- A. You can get free (or cheap) boat trips, discounts on rail travel, free admission in museums, a 50% discount on mountain top excursions and more. You can obtain these benefits locally by showing your Swiss pass, or you can contact the specific benefit company in advance. The discount benefits apply during the validity of your Swiss pass, whereas free passage on trains, buses or ferries is only valid on travel days.
- A. The prices of accommodations on an overnight train are dependent on a few factors: 1. The expense of the ticket 2. The type of train you will be traveling on 3. The type of compartment you wish to sleep in Similar to Day trains there are different levels of overnight trains. Typically, during the day, high-speed premier trains are more expensive then local services that travel at a slower speed, and offer fewer services on-board. For night trains longer International journeys are more expensive as they tend to be nicer trains, offering the traveler more services.
- A. Any bonus that is free will use a travel day on your railpass. Discounted bonuses will not require the use of a travel day, but do require that the railpass is valid.
- A. Eurostar services offer three classes of service: 2 for first class (Business Premier and Standard Premier) and one for second class (Standard). Among the facilities offered for Eurostar Business Premier passengers, you’ll find priority express check-in in 10 minutes at the terminals, a dedicated ticket desk for check-in, access to the Eurostar Executive lounges, spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, Wi-Fi access at the terminals, a dedicated coach for business travellers, complimentary newspapers, and also a 3 course meal served at seat. Eurostar Standard Premier passengers, whose check-in is 30 minutes before departure, will be offered spacious reclining seats with generous legroom, complimentary newspapers and a cold meal served at seat. In the convenience of a comfortable carriage, Standard passengers will also be enjoying themselves with a vast variety of dishes they will find at a bar buffet car.
I am planning a trip to europe from jan 22 to feb 4, 2017. for travel in italy,when does ticket booking (...)I am planning a trip to Europe from Jan 22 to Feb 4, 2017. For travel in Italy,when does ticket booking (...)
answered | Posted by UTSAB B. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/10/2016
answered | Posted by Salahud B. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/10/2016
answered | Posted by Damia D. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/10/2016
answered | Posted by aziani a. | Comments 4 | Created: 24/10/2016
answered | Posted by yael m. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/10/2016
Reviews & ratings Italy Pass
Overall rating (67)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 36% Average 22% Poor 7% Terrible 3%
- "Worst Experience of trip" George h. 04/09/2016
Pass a waste of money. Local staff don't know how it works resulting in heavy fines. No clear accountability between Rail Europe and the railways with just standard bureaucratic responses to queries. Utterly useless in my opinion. Convenience
- "8-day Travel Pass in Italy" Glen c. 12/02/2016
The travel passes of 8-day Italy was very valued for money. I took the train and cover north and south pf Italy : Milan, Pisa, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Florence and the small towns, without having to worry about paying ( except to 10 Euro additional for the fast train journeys. Which should be included in this ticket instead ). You get to see the beautiful countrysides, which you would not be able to on a plane. I am very happy to take the train. It is very fast and efficient. It takes you right into the cities, without the transfers as with airports. Value for money Convenience
- "Italian Holiday" Ronald r. 08/01/2016
We had an easy time planning the trip. Our connections were smooth, with minimal problems transferring to connecting trains. We traveled second class this time, not missing the relatively greater comfort of first class on the shorter trips in Italy. The high speed train from Venice to Naples was very pleasant and gave us a wonderful view of the countryside. We had helpful interactions with the train staff. Value for money Convenience
- "italy trip" Robert r. 06/05/2015
very good. Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to travel!" Erin a. 30/12/2014
I found the trains to be easy to navigate and figure out how to get where we needed to go. We had a few challenges but overall this was a great decision and made travelling around Italy worry free. outside of some language challenges when purchasing the high speed tickets, we were pleased with the experience and ease of getting around. Will definitely consider against we travel internationally. Value for money Convenience
- "Good value for money BUT!!!!!" Timothy g. 01/10/2014
Having the Italian pass was great BUT we found out only when we wanted to use the pass that you HAVE to book your seats on all trains and this added an extra 20 Euro's per person per trip, which is inconvenient and expensive when not budgeted for especially for 6 people. It would help if it is noted when booking the pass that there is additional fees that need to be paid to book your seat. When we last used the rail pass in Germany it was great as you just got on the train, found a seat and away you went. Italy is a very different situation... Make sure you include 20 Euro's per trip to the price to be safe. Value for money Convenience
- "3 day Italy Rail Journey" . 08/01/2014
A very safe economical way to travel between regions. We relaxed whilst appreciating spectacular country scenery. On one of the days we could make an ad hoc decision to travel to Lake Como without paying extra. It is also time saving as we need only to be at the station half hour before train departures. Rail staff at Rome Termini was cheerful, helpful
- "trip to Italy" Saki k. 19/11/2013
My trip in Italy was very good,we traveled 4 cities,thereof the pass was inexpensive. but wenn people take a fast train, need a reservation in Italy, that was inconvenience. Value for money Convenience
- "Very convenient" Zhuoer l. 19/08/2013
We travelled with my wife's parents. We purchased 1st class travel pass and booked all trains. So it is really easy for us during the trip: no need to worry about whether there is still available tickets. And the train itself is also nice: very comfortable seat, big space and nice service. Value for money Convenience
- "validating takes a long time" Robert Michael s. 16/06/2013
The only hard and time consuming part of using the rail pass was the initial validating of the pass at rome terminii staion. machines to complete the task were not found and a long and tiring queuing system at the booking office almost led to us missing our train.After this had been validated everything went very smoothly. Value for money Convenience
- "Fast and comfortable " Sitas m. 18/05/2013
3.5-4 hour from Paris to Avignon, TGV train was smooth, fast and relaxing. We booked in advance through raileurope and got good promotional price. 1st class was cheaper than 2nd class on some trains. Specified seat numbers mean 4 of us get to sit together with a table in the middle. At Avignon TGV there is also a waiting area for 1st class passengers right by the platform. Booking through raileurope is highly recommended. Value for money Convenience
- "Italy by Train" Vikas s. 28/12/2012
Overall experience, from getting the Pass to the actual travel, was very good and most reasonable in terms of price. All high speed trains used between major stations were excellent and getting reservations was a breeze. The only exception was the overnight train between Catania and Napoli. The train was late, the 3 cabin couchette was very cramped for 3 adults, the airconditioning was switched off for the crossing for more than 2 hours. It was then claustrophobic. Comfort Value for money Convenience
- "A Kiwi review" Alistair r. 14/12/2012
Four days of easy travel. We found it hard to understand why we had to pay the high price to make a reservation. So on occassions we travelled by 'ordinary' train at no extra cost. Whether that was because the conductor only pretended to read our itinerary or it was actually available we still don't know. Impressive to travel at 244 kph without them calling it a faster train. Convenient and recommended. We travelled further because the trains and free tickets were there to be used. Saw the countryside. Comfort Value for money Convenience
- "Insufficient facilites " Wai Cheong t. 30/10/2012
In general, the train service is quite good in terms of comfort and convenience. However, there is much room to improve the punctuality of trains and facilities at train stations. Train stations in large cities are very crowded and the facilities for waiting passengers are insufficient. For arrival passengers, it is frustrated to find that not every large train station has an information centre to answer their queries. Maps showing areas around train station should also be put up at the main exits of train station so that arrival passengers can figure out how to get to their destinations. Comfort Value for money Convenience