Eurail Italy PassFrom € 128 From € 128 Eurail
Enjoy 1 free extra travel day!
Book before 28/09/2016 and benefit from 1 additional day of travel!
- Unlimited travel in Italy.
- Discount for families or groups of 2-5 people with the Saver Pass.
- Children up to 11 travel for free. More details
- Youth (12 - 25) discounts available
The Eurail Italy Pass is the most comprehensive way to explore Italy. Engage in La Dolce Vita, feast on giant bowls of pasta and taste aromatic wines while passing through the dazzling Italian landscapes! Visit Rome and discover the remains of its glorious past. Have a romantic time on a gondola in Venice or discover Milan the fashion capital of Italy!
The Eurail Italy Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The Eurail Italy Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Hotel discounts, reduced museum fares and more are included in your pass.
It also comes with a Eurail travel pack (Travel map and user guide).
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner the Eurail Italy Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living in a non-European country can use the Italy Pass. Please note that residents of Russia and Turkey are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
Book a seat reservation with Rail Europe.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
What is a Saver Pass?
A Saver Pass is a single pass listing the names of all people travelling together. It is offered to families or groups of 2 to 5 people.
- Adults usually get a 15% discount with a Saver Pass.
- Remember, children can travel for free with an adult. See conditions below.
Children under 4 travel for free. Do not include them in your booking as they don’t need a rail pass. However if you want them to have a guaranteed seat on board high speed trains or a bed on board night trains, you must make a reservation before travelling.
Children from 4 to 11 travel for free. As a rail pass will still be issued for them, please make sure you include them in your booking. For guaranteed seats on board high speed and night trains, please remember to book a seat for you and your children.
How to use a rail pass?
You must start using your rail pass within 11 months of the date of purchase.
To start using your rail pass, go to a European railway station where a railway official will fill-in your passport number and stamp your rail pass. On each travel day, please remember to write down the date on your rail pass.
You should record your trip in the Travel Report on the rail pass cover.
Passengers travelling without having written down the above information risk a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day lasts 24 hours from midnight to midnight.You can take as many trains as you want during a travel day.
The 7 pm rule allows you to benefit from a free travel day if the following conditions are met:
- Your pass should be activated.
- You must travel on board a night train departing after 7 pm and this should be your first trip of the day.
- You must reach your destination after 4 am on the next day.
- Your arrival date should be within the validity of the pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.
For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
Get a free travel pack when you book a Eurail Pass from Rail Europe. The travel package contains a user guide and a detailed map of the European railway network.
Rail Pass benefits in Italy
- Free transfer is available on the Leonardo Express between Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station for 1st class passholders only. Please note that this transfer requires the use of one day of travel on the pass.
- From Rome Fiumicino Airport on high speed train to/from Florence/Bologna/Padova/Venice.
- Free transportation on the ÖBB Intercitybus (1st and 2nd class) between Klagenfurt/Villach-Venezia Mestre & Venezia Tronchetto if the Eurail pass is valid in both Austria and Italy. Reservations are required and can be made locally.
- Discounted fares on Thello international night and day trains between France and Italy if your pass is valid in France and/or Italy.
- Milano-Pavia-Voghera-Genova-Savona-Finale Ligure-Albenga-Alassaio Diano-Marina-Imperia-San Remo-Ventimiglia-Menton-Monaco-Nice-Antibes-Cannes-St Raphael-Les Arcs-Toulon-Marseille
- Attica Group/Operated by Superfast Ferries for International routes offers free air seats/dormitories for 1st class pass holders, free deck passage for 2nd class pass holders with a pass valid in Greece AND Italy. Bari-Corfu/Igoumenitsa/Patras and Ancona/Venice - Igoumenitsa/Patras. High season surcharge and port taxes may apply.
- 20% reduction on the Official Fares and 10% reduction on accommodation supplements for Pullman seats, berths or on crossings operated by Grimaldi Ferries on the following routes: Barcelona-Civitavecchia, Barcelona-Livorno, Barcelona-Porto Torres (Sardinia), Brindisi-Igoumenitsa and Patras, Civitavecchia / Porto Torres/Trapani, Livorno-Barcelona, Igoumenitsa/Patras-Ravenna, Salerno/Palermo. Seasonal surcharges and/or port taxes may apply.
- Minoan Lines International Free air-type seats for 1st class pass holders, free deck passage for 2nd class pass holders with a pass valid in Greece AND Italy. Patras/Igoumenitsa-Ancona/Ravenna/Trieste. Seasonal surcharges and/or port taxes may apply.
Free Hot Fudge Sundae when you order any main course. Free gift in Rock Shop for all purchase over € 25. Hard Rock Cafe, Florence, Via Brunelleschi 1, Rome, Via V. Veneto 62a, Venice, Bacino Orseolo and the Rock Shop at Rialto Bridge.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
- A. There are two options: Option 1 You can select a Single compartment for 1 of the passengers and select a Double compartment for the 2 remaining passengers. Option 2 You can select 3 Single compartments, each will need to be requested on the website separately having 1 passenger on each reservation.
Q. I've purchased a single country pass. What do I do if I decide to visit an additional, bordering country?A. Your railpass covers you to the border city of the country you are traveling in. You will need to purchase additional tickets to travel in any country not covered on your pass. If you are planning to travel to more than one city, you may want to consider upgrading your pass to cover an additional country.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. The minimum check-in time for passengers with Business First tickets is 20 minutes. For passengers boarding ski trains, and passengers holding regular tickets, check-in time is 30 minutes.
- A. You can request 2 double compartments or a T4 if this type of accommodation is offered on the train you wish to travel on.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
Q. If I'm traveling through a country not included on Eurail Select Pass, can I add that country to the pass?A. Passes are only valid for travel in the countries covered by that particular pass. If you travel through a country not included on your pass, you'll need to purchase an additional ticket for that part of the trip. For example, if you travel from Germany to Italy through Austria, Austria is not a country on your Eurail Select Pass and will not be covered; you must purchase an additional ticket. If you have not purchased your pass please view our online maps to see if you will be travelling through a country you have not planned for.
- A. Finding Train Tickets and Schedules can be accomplished with just a few simple steps. First click on the "Train Tickets" section, located on the top of any page. There you will find a form asking for your departure city and arrival city and the date that you would like to travel. You will also be asked the approximate time that you want to travel (morning, afternoon or evening). If you would like to book a round trip ticket, just click on the "Round Trip" option and provide the information for your return trip on the same page. Once all of your information has been entered and you have clicked "Search" you will be presented with a number of results to choose from. First, you will want to look through the times offered to see what the best schedule for your travel. Once you have chosen a schedule, you should begin to look at the prices that are offered. Fares are typically broken down into categories, Business, Flexi First, Best Price First, Flexi Second, Best Price Second and Super Saver. Best Price First and Best Price Second are classes tickets being more restrictive in terms of flexibility. Flexi First, Flexi second and Business are classes offering more flexibility. Although these classifications do apply to several different train types, it is always recommended that you click on the "Details" link under each fare type to show the specific refund and exchange rules for that price. Once you have decided on the train and fare that you would like to purchase, click on the "select" link, which will take you to the passenger selection page. Once you have input your passenger information you can choose to continue shopping or proceed to the checkout process.
- A. To obtain a refund, please return your unused, unvalidated tickets/pass to your travel agent, or send to your local Raileurope Office. Click here to get the information in our contact us section. Most tickets are required to be returned at least 3 days prior to the departure date, or to be stamped "Unused" at a rail station in Europe to be eligible for a refund. Please add a short note including the original booking number of the order. It is suggested that you send these documents by some type of traceable mail for proof of delivery, should they get lost in the mail.
answered | Posted by Amelia B. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/08/2016
answered | Posted by Hemang P. | Comments 2 | Created: 19/08/2016
answered | Posted by XXXX L. | Comments 2 | Created: 16/08/2016
answered | Posted by Amit K. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/08/2016
answered | Posted by Krishna K. | Comments 3 | Created: 11/08/2016
Reviews & ratings Italy Pass
Overall rating (67)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 36% Average 22% Poor 7% Terrible 3%
- "8-day Travel Pass in Italy" Glen c. 12/02/2016
The travel passes of 8-day Italy was very valued for money. I took the train and cover north and south pf Italy : Milan, Pisa, Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Florence and the small towns, without having to worry about paying ( except to 10 Euro additional for the fast train journeys. Which should be included in this ticket instead ). You get to see the beautiful countrysides, which you would not be able to on a plane. I am very happy to take the train. It is very fast and efficient. It takes you right into the cities, without the transfers as with airports. Value for money Convenience
- "Italian Holiday" Ronald r. 08/01/2016
We had an easy time planning the trip. Our connections were smooth, with minimal problems transferring to connecting trains. We traveled second class this time, not missing the relatively greater comfort of first class on the shorter trips in Italy. The high speed train from Venice to Naples was very pleasant and gave us a wonderful view of the countryside. We had helpful interactions with the train staff. Value for money Convenience
- "italy trip" Robert r. 06/05/2015
very good. Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to travel!" Erin a. 30/12/2014
I found the trains to be easy to navigate and figure out how to get where we needed to go. We had a few challenges but overall this was a great decision and made travelling around Italy worry free. outside of some language challenges when purchasing the high speed tickets, we were pleased with the experience and ease of getting around. Will definitely consider against we travel internationally. Value for money Convenience
- "Good value for money BUT!!!!!" Timothy g. 01/10/2014
Having the Italian pass was great BUT we found out only when we wanted to use the pass that you HAVE to book your seats on all trains and this added an extra 20 Euro's per person per trip, which is inconvenient and expensive when not budgeted for especially for 6 people. It would help if it is noted when booking the pass that there is additional fees that need to be paid to book your seat. When we last used the rail pass in Germany it was great as you just got on the train, found a seat and away you went. Italy is a very different situation... Make sure you include 20 Euro's per trip to the price to be safe. Value for money Convenience
- "3 day Italy Rail Journey" . 08/01/2014
A very safe economical way to travel between regions. We relaxed whilst appreciating spectacular country scenery. On one of the days we could make an ad hoc decision to travel to Lake Como without paying extra. It is also time saving as we need only to be at the station half hour before train departures. Rail staff at Rome Termini was cheerful, helpful
- "trip to Italy" Saki k. 19/11/2013
My trip in Italy was very good,we traveled 4 cities,thereof the pass was inexpensive. but wenn people take a fast train, need a reservation in Italy, that was inconvenience. Value for money Convenience
- "Very convenient" Zhuoer l. 19/08/2013
We travelled with my wife's parents. We purchased 1st class travel pass and booked all trains. So it is really easy for us during the trip: no need to worry about whether there is still available tickets. And the train itself is also nice: very comfortable seat, big space and nice service. Value for money Convenience
- "validating takes a long time" Robert Michael s. 16/06/2013
The only hard and time consuming part of using the rail pass was the initial validating of the pass at rome terminii staion. machines to complete the task were not found and a long and tiring queuing system at the booking office almost led to us missing our train.After this had been validated everything went very smoothly. Value for money Convenience
- "Fast and comfortable " Sitas m. 18/05/2013
3.5-4 hour from Paris to Avignon, TGV train was smooth, fast and relaxing. We booked in advance through raileurope and got good promotional price. 1st class was cheaper than 2nd class on some trains. Specified seat numbers mean 4 of us get to sit together with a table in the middle. At Avignon TGV there is also a waiting area for 1st class passengers right by the platform. Booking through raileurope is highly recommended. Value for money Convenience
- "Italy by Train" Vikas s. 28/12/2012
Overall experience, from getting the Pass to the actual travel, was very good and most reasonable in terms of price. All high speed trains used between major stations were excellent and getting reservations was a breeze. The only exception was the overnight train between Catania and Napoli. The train was late, the 3 cabin couchette was very cramped for 3 adults, the airconditioning was switched off for the crossing for more than 2 hours. It was then claustrophobic. Comfort Value for money Convenience
- "A Kiwi review" Alistair r. 14/12/2012
Four days of easy travel. We found it hard to understand why we had to pay the high price to make a reservation. So on occassions we travelled by 'ordinary' train at no extra cost. Whether that was because the conductor only pretended to read our itinerary or it was actually available we still don't know. Impressive to travel at 244 kph without them calling it a faster train. Convenient and recommended. We travelled further because the trains and free tickets were there to be used. Saw the countryside. Comfort Value for money Convenience
- "Insufficient facilites " Wai Cheong t. 30/10/2012
In general, the train service is quite good in terms of comfort and convenience. However, there is much room to improve the punctuality of trains and facilities at train stations. Train stations in large cities are very crowded and the facilities for waiting passengers are insufficient. For arrival passengers, it is frustrated to find that not every large train station has an information centre to answer their queries. Maps showing areas around train station should also be put up at the main exits of train station so that arrival passengers can figure out how to get to their destinations. Comfort Value for money Convenience