Swiss Transfer TicketSwiss Travel System
Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to € 60 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- A round trip from any Swiss airport or border station to any destination in Switzerland.
- Children under 16 travel for free.
The Swiss Transfer Ticket is a return ticket between any Swiss airport or border station and your final destination.
It is an ideal solution for those who are only visiting one city in Switzerland or spending their holidays in a ski resort.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the Swiss Transfer Ticket. Please note that residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
Book a seat reservation with Rail Europe.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
How to use a rail pass?
You must start using your rail pass within 6 months of the date of purchase.
To start using your rail pass, go to a European railway station where a railway official will fill-in your passport number and stamp your rail pass. On each travel day, please remember to write down the date on your rail pass.
Passengers travelling without having written down the above information risk a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day lasts 24 hours from midnight to midnight.You can take as many trains as you want during a travel day.
The 7 pm rule allows you to benefit from a free travel day if the following conditions are met:
- Your pass should be activated.
- You must travel on board a night train departing after 7 pm and this should be your first trip of the day.
- You must reach your destination after 4 am on the next day.
- Your arrival date should be within the validity of the pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.You can choose between flexible and consecutive validities.
Flexible validities allow you to choose which days you want to travel within the period covered by your rail pass.
E.g. For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Consecutive validities give you unlimited travel during consecutive days.
E.g. For a rail pass with a validity of 3 days continuous. By activating your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can use it until the 3rd.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. All ICE trains convey a Bordbistro and/or a Bordrestaurant. Depending on the time of the day, you can choose from various breakfast menus to suit any taste or main dishes from the "à la carte" menu. In addition to the standard dishes, the menu often features German and European regional specialties freshly prepared. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages which you can enjoy there or take back to your seat. In 1st Class coaches a selection of beverages and meals from the menus can be served at your seat on request. Snacks and beverages are also available at your seat in 2nd Class on ICE trains.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
Q. I've purchased a single country pass. What do I do if I decide to visit an additional, bordering country?A. Your railpass covers you to the border city of the country you are traveling in. You will need to purchase additional tickets to travel in any country not covered on your pass. If you are planning to travel to more than one city, you may want to consider upgrading your pass to cover an additional country.
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
- A. No, Eurostar does not transport cars. You can transport your car on Le Shuttle, which carries cars through the Channel Tunnel. For reservations with Le Shuttle, please call 08705 35 35 35 or at www.eurotunnel.com.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding a Frecciarossa train. Though, ticket control and passport checks will occur on board Frecciarossa train.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
answered | Posted by Bob L. | Comments 2 | Created: 28/07/2015
answered | Posted by Elsa C. | Comments 0 | Created: 22/07/2015
answered | Posted by Busisiwe S. | Comments 2 | Created: 02/07/2015
answered | Posted by Lori C. | Comments 2 | Created: 26/01/2015
answered | Posted by candy b. | Comments 2 | Created: 03/07/2014
Reviews & ratings Swiss Transfer Ticket
Overall rating (2)
Overall appreciationExcellent 88% Very good 0% Average 13% Poor 0% Terrible 0%
- "Thank You!" Zeev b. 06/01/2016
Thank You! Value for money Convenience
- "Swiss Transfer Ticket" Stefan i. 06/05/2013
I purchased a Swiss Transfer Ticket for my recent skiing holiday in the Bernese Oberland. It's the best and most cost-effective way to travel by train from your arrival point (airport or border crossing) and back again (within 1 month). We were even able to fly into Zurich airport and depart from Geneva airport a week later, and the Swiss Transfer Ticket was still valid. Remember to buy yours in advance before you travel, as these tickets are not available in Switzerland. Value for money Convenience