City Night Line
Find a Train Ticket
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Reviews & ratings (124)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|4 to 6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Italy pass offers unlimited rail travel in Italy from 3 to 10 days. If you’re planning to travel several times by train, buying a Eurail Italy pass will be a more affordable option that buying individual rail tickets.
Q. What are the differences between Full Fare, Leisure Fare, Youth Fare, Passholder Fare and Senior Fare on Eurostar?A. Full Fare is an unrestricted ticket. It is fully exchangeable and refundable even after the departure date. For exchanges and refunds, your local Raileurope office must receive the ticket no later than 60 days after the train's departure date. Click here to get the Contact Us adress. Value fare is non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Youth Fare (for travelers under 26 years of age) is exchangeable once in Europe before departure date. It is non-refundable. Passholder Fare (issued in conjunction with appropriate railpass) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable. Senior Fare (for travelers 60 years of age and over) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
- A. All ICE trains convey a Bordbistro and/or a Bordrestaurant. Depending on the time of the day, you can choose from various breakfast menus to suit any taste or main dishes from the "à la carte" menu. In addition to the standard dishes, the menu often features German and European regional specialties freshly prepared. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages which you can enjoy there or take back to your seat. In 1st Class coaches a selection of beverages and meals from the menus can be served at your seat on request. Snacks and beverages are also available at your seat in 2nd Class on ICE trains.
- A. Also known as the red train, Thalys trains link Paris to the gems of Northern Europe: Brussels in 1 hour and 22 minutes, Amsterdam in 3 hours and 18 minutes, and Cologne in 3 hours and 14 minutes. On a seasonal basis (from the end of December till mid - April), Thalys Snow travels from Brussels Midi to the ski resorts in Chambéry, Albertville, Moutiers, Aime-la-Plagne, Landry and Bourg-St-Maurice, every Saturday without any stops.
- A. Most cites with airports are easily accessible by public transportation (Train, Bus, Subway or Taxi). The following airports listed have access to the downtown train stations: Amsterdam Schiphol, Athens, Barcelona, Berlin Schoenefeld, Birmingham, Brussels National, Cologne, Copenhagen, Dresden, Duesseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva-Cointrin, Glasgow, Graz, Hannover, Krakow, Leipzig, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Stanstead, Madrid, Malaga, Manchester, Munich, Milan Malpensa, Newcastle, Nice, Nuremberg, Oslo, Palermo, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Pisa, Porto, Rome Fiumicino, Southampton, Stockholm, Stuttgart , Torino, Tronheim, Valencia, Vienna , and Zurich.
- A. The following trains require reservations: Eurostar, Thalys, Lyria, all TGV's, AVE, TGV France-Italy, Renfe, Trenitalia, Riveria, Swedish trains, City Night Line, DB (German) night trains, Elipsos, and the Paris-Germany night train. To check if the train you are looking at is on of these trains you just need to look at the details on the fare results to see the type of train in the title. The Swiss Scenic trains and some of the German ICE trains will also need reservations. These are route and time specific.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
answered | Posted by HARESH H. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/05/2015
answered | Posted by Gunjan S. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/05/2015
answered | Posted by Vijaya M. | Comments 5 | Created: 13/05/2015
answered | Posted by charbel s. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/05/2015
answered | Posted by Pamela C. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/05/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
"Great deal"Cleber c.
Great deal for the price. However, the beds are a bit small. Value for money Convenience
"tickets"Johanna s. 05/05/2015
We bought the tickets through NZ, but were not able to print them ourselves. Very inconvenient. The journey itself was problem free Value for money Convenience
"My feedback"Som Nath t. 05/04/2015
The coaches were very cozy and comfortable, while hygiene level in the WC was also very high. Amazing coffee served in the morning...thanks for memorable on-time service. Value for money Convenience
"the train with wifi"Lei z. 06/01/2015
The service is quite good and has wifi ,that helps a lot for the following trips. But we book the duplex rooms the stairscase is too narrow to bring heavy baggages up:( Value for money Convenience
"Low season train rail"Lay Bee h. 17/12/2014
I was given the 3rd upper dock bed at cabin 118 Number 86 from Munich to Paris on 7 Dec. no other passager on the same cabin on that night and i enjoyed the own cabin and had a soundly sleep night Value for money Convenience
"Ticketing "Tan c. 12/11/2014
To provide ticket counter check before entering the train, avoiding wrong train taken. Value for money Convenience
"our review about the trip."Assaf p. 19/10/2014
hello, our travel by train was comfort, and we slept well. the room and the bed were clean. in the middle of the way the train had a mechanical problem in the engine, the train stopped, and the crew updated the passengers in English, and it was very thoughtful. the steward was very nice. we would like to use this service next time when we will travel. thank you. Value for money Convenience
"Bad"Carola p. 04/10/2014
The cabin had not taken to load cell or heater for the cold. Value for money Convenience
"night train Zurich-Amsterdam"Ofir l. 02/10/2014
I was the only one in a wagon of 3. still all the beds were made. please make sure to fold the middle bed if no one will sleep there in this ride. I couldn't even sit in my bed because of that. Value for money Convenience
"Late for 2 hours"Jie s. 06/08/2014
The train was late for 2 hours and the staff led us changed a train...... Value for money Convenience
"Overnight train"Wendy r. 03/08/2014
Great ride ... A bit bumpy on top bunk ... But we slept well and we're comfortable in our first-class sleeper. Took us a bit to orient ourselves to the train station when we first arrived, but The train was pretty easy to find and board. The steward was kind and helpful and made the trip a piece of cake. Arrived on time in the morning. Value for money Convenience
"Not a nice choice if u "Pui Chi l. 15/07/2014
Not a nice choice if u want to sleep better Thee area is small No bathing as well Value for money Convenience
"saves money but no comfort"Robert s. 13/07/2014
We did this for convenience and to save a night of hotel. It was very uncomfortable and very difficult if not impossible to sleep. The website gave impression of first class comfort that was not met. We would not recommend this to friends or family. Value for money Convenience
"Night train"Jamie k. 03/07/2014
Went on sleeper train Amsterdam to Zurich- my wife and I and our 3 daughters It was great. V comfy. Girls loved it. We all slept well. A new experience for us Good price too Only criticism is there were 5 of us and despite lots of free cabins they put another passenger in with us to make up the 6 which wasn't ideal for him or us. Value for money Convenience
"Travel from Paris to Berlin "Wai Ling t. 05/06/2014
This is my first time to have overnight train, it was good experience. The train was clean, toilet was ok. I still can slept for few hours even I was in the six seat cabin. In addition, I can save time and money when I went to Berlin by the city night train. Value for money Convenience