City Night LineGermany : DB
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|5-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Yes. Passengers can use baggage lockers which are found between the coaches. However they have to make a 1 euro deposit. There are also luggage areas at the end of the carriage which can be used without any supplement.
Q. Can I get a discount on train travel in Great Britain when I purchase a Eurail or Eurail Select Pass?A. No, but you are eligible for a passholder fare on Eurostar, which travels from Paris or Brussels to London. For travel in Great Britain we offer BritRail products to help you travel around the country.
- A. Special amenities for disabled travelers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.). Special equipment is also available for use by handicapped passengers. This equipment must be reserved locally in advance. Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
- A. When travelling to Switzerland, or departing from this country, your ticket does not need to be punched. Ticket inspectors will check your ticket during your Lyria journey. You should be able to produce currently valid proof of eligibility for the fare you have chosen at any time.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. The best option for 3 passengers is a T3 if it is available. T3 compartments are not offered on all trains. If a T3 is not available then passengers will be advised to divide their party. You can also book a T4 or T6 based on availability and restrictions.
Q. When I select the box that says I have a pass I am not receiving any schedules, but when I do not select the box that says I have a pass I receive schedules. Why can't I book a reservation with a Pass?A. The train you are requesting does not offer reservations. Please note the train time for your travel information. To board this train you will need your pass and can take any available seat.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. You can print your TGV ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations before boarding your TGV train.
answered | Posted by Alice L. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/06/2016
answered | Posted by Prashant K. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/06/2016
answered | Posted by Patricia C. | Comments 4 | Created: 28/05/2016
answered | Posted by sneha a. | Comments 1 | Created: 13/05/2016
Are the cnl double-deck cars still in use, the ones with deluxe compartments with panoramic windows? anywhere?I found the following video on the web, with the information that these double-deck wagons are no longer in use with Deutsche (...)
answered | Posted by Till C. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/04/2016
Reviews & ratings City Night Line
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
- "Uncomfortable" Kam Chuen c. 15/06/2016
The T3 cabin was really really tiny and I wish I have known this before booking. Would have booked two cabins instead. Could hardly move inside the cabin. This attendant was quite rude. Would never try this again. Value for money Convenience
- "Overnight train Venice/Munich" Thi Thuy Tien n. 20/02/2016
It was my first experience traveling with an overnight train. It departed and arrived on time. The beds were comfortable enough to get a good rest. The ordering of the tickets has to be carefully planned though since they were shipped from India to Europe. Otherwise everything was perfectly fine and the price was well worth the effort. Value for money Convenience
- "nice experience" Yee Wun t. 26/01/2016
nice and helpful staff, comfortable bed. cheap price with good service. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Sleep" Robert o. 21/01/2016
The transfer to the CNL went without a hitch and we were met on the train by our attentive night porter. Amazing service from the moment we got on board. Seeing that we were a family of 3 travelling with a lot of luggage, the porter opened up the adjoining cabin so that we had double the space. Chilli and Beers turned up to ensure we were well fed before bedtime! Based on this experience, i would definitely consider doing this again in the future. Can't rate highly enough. Value for money Convenience
- "Superb " . 30/11/2015
Convenience and excellence service. Only a bit delay ;)
- "Europe by train" Mohammadidrees b. 23/11/2015
We travelled from Zurich to Amsterdam by City Night Line it was first announced "cancelled" then departed on time and arrived two hours late , compartment was very small . Value for money Convenience
- "Lekker train ride." Marius Johan s. 13/10/2015
Thank you so much for an really enjoyable adventure. Seeing that this was our first time traveling by train in Europa it was a great experience. Traveling by City Night Line gave us time to relax and sleep well. Much better than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "Great!" Amanda e. 12/10/2015
Clean, friendly staff, loved it. Value for money Convenience
- "Good experience" Laura b. 16/06/2015
Overall the experience was positive. It was a great value for the money paid and was very convenient with the timing of the overnight train taken. We left the originating station a little late and it would have been nice to have more of the announcements in English, but everything was fine. Value for money Convenience
- "big savings" Joel t. 08/06/2015
i saved 1 night of hotel/hostel by taking a night train from Venice to Munich. The train departed and arrived on time. Ride was smooth and comfortable though the space was tiny but for Asian built like me it is absolutely alright. The view was incredible when we were crossing Austria-Germany border. All those rolling hills with patches of red roof houses and endless spring flowers. Get up at around 5 am and stay in corridors to catch the view and sunrise. Would definitely try CNL again and recommend to my fellow travelers. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice scenery along the journey" Ho Lun Alan w. 08/06/2015
There was a charger to charge any electronics along the way, which is value adding. Value for money Convenience
- "Very Good" . 21/05/2015
This is the first time I travel by train in Europe. It is a very nice experience. The train is very clean and the cabin is very comfortable. The breakfast is also good.
- "Great deal" Cleber c. 07/05/2015
Great deal for the price. However, the beds are a bit small. Value for money Convenience
- "tickets" Johanna s. 05/05/2015
We bought the tickets through NZ, but were not able to print them ourselves. Very inconvenient. The journey itself was problem free Value for money Convenience
- "My feedback" Som Nath t. 05/04/2015
The coaches were very cozy and comfortable, while hygiene level in the WC was also very high. Amazing coffee served in the morning...thanks for memorable on-time service. Value for money Convenience