City Night Line
Find a Train Ticket
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Reviews & ratings (124)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|4 to 6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. All you'll need is your e-ticket # (found on your confirmation email). Please note: there may be multiple e-ticket # for your itinerary.
- A. Yes, you may need to make a reservation. All trains that travel internationally will require reservations. All night trains and high-speed trains will require reservations. Most trains in these countries will require reservations: France, Spain, and Italy.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times as you like before Midnight on a travel day.
- A. All 1 st class passes are valid for travel in all sleeper accommodations. If you have a 2 nd class pass, you are able to travel in T3 compartments and couchettes. Some T4 compartments are offered in 1 st and 2 nd class. Please be sure to check the details of the fare for the train you wish to travel on to determine what class the T4 is offered in.
- A. Heathrow Express arrives in London's Paddington Station.
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 bags/suitcases plus 1 piece of hand luggage and every piece of luggage must be labelled. Luggage can be stored in the racks above your seat on ICE trains.
- A. Unfortunately, you cannot request a forward-facing seat. Trains generally pull into a station in one direction, and pull out in another direction and seat positions change, depending on the train.
- A. The best-selling Eurail Global Pass offers unlimited, 1st Class train travel in 24 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Bulgarian Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, France, Ireland, Italy, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovenia, Portugal, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain, Sweden and Turkey. Choices range from 15 consecutive days to 3 months of travel or 10 and 15 flexible days within a 2-month time period, plus money-saving Eurail Global Pass bonuses. The Eurail Select Pass provides unlimited train travel for the duration you select in your choice of any 3, 4 or 5 countries that border each other, as well as attractive bonuses. Select from Austria, Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia/Slovenia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
- A. 1st Class seats often recline, there are fewer seats per car, and there is more space for luggage. On some high-speed trains, the price of a 1st Class ticket includes a meal. 1st class is generally quieter with more business and adult passengers. 2nd Class accommodations are less expensive, but not as spacious, as there are more seats per car. For trips over 2 hours we recommend that you book 1st class.
- A. Thalys trains offer two classes of travel: 1st class with Comfort 1 and 2nd class with Comfort 2. In Comfort 1, reclining seats will offer you a high level of comfort. Sockets for laptop or mobile phone are also available on some carriages as well as free newspapers on major routes. Wi-Fi is free in Thalys Comfort 1 and in 2nd class with flexible tickets. In 2nd class (Comfort 2), you will get access to a bar-buffet car offering food and refreshments for purchase. Wi-Fi is available at an additional cost in second class for more restrictive tickets.
answered | Posted by heidi W. | Comments 0 | Created: 22/04/2015
answered | Posted by Mat R. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/04/2015
answered | Posted by Sundra G. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/04/2015
answered | Posted by Vishwajit M. | Comments 4 | Created: 27/03/2015
answered | Posted by Makenna L. | Comments 0 | Created: 23/03/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
"My feedback"Som Nath t.
The coaches were very cozy and comfortable, while hygiene level in the WC was also very high. Amazing coffee served in the morning...thanks for memorable on-time service. Value for money Convenience
"the train with wifi"Lei z. 06/01/2015
The service is quite good and has wifi ,that helps a lot for the following trips. But we book the duplex rooms the stairscase is too narrow to bring heavy baggages up:( Value for money Convenience
"Low season train rail"Lay Bee h. 17/12/2014
I was given the 3rd upper dock bed at cabin 118 Number 86 from Munich to Paris on 7 Dec. no other passager on the same cabin on that night and i enjoyed the own cabin and had a soundly sleep night Value for money Convenience
"Ticketing "Tan c. 12/11/2014
To provide ticket counter check before entering the train, avoiding wrong train taken. Value for money Convenience
"our review about the trip."Assaf p. 19/10/2014
hello, our travel by train was comfort, and we slept well. the room and the bed were clean. in the middle of the way the train had a mechanical problem in the engine, the train stopped, and the crew updated the passengers in English, and it was very thoughtful. the steward was very nice. we would like to use this service next time when we will travel. thank you. Value for money Convenience
"Bad"Carola p. 04/10/2014
The cabin had not taken to load cell or heater for the cold. Value for money Convenience
"night train Zurich-Amsterdam"Ofir l. 02/10/2014
I was the only one in a wagon of 3. still all the beds were made. please make sure to fold the middle bed if no one will sleep there in this ride. I couldn't even sit in my bed because of that. Value for money Convenience
"Late for 2 hours"Jie s. 06/08/2014
The train was late for 2 hours and the staff led us changed a train...... Value for money Convenience
"Overnight train"Wendy r. 03/08/2014
Great ride ... A bit bumpy on top bunk ... But we slept well and we're comfortable in our first-class sleeper. Took us a bit to orient ourselves to the train station when we first arrived, but The train was pretty easy to find and board. The steward was kind and helpful and made the trip a piece of cake. Arrived on time in the morning. Value for money Convenience
"Not a nice choice if u "Pui Chi l. 15/07/2014
Not a nice choice if u want to sleep better Thee area is small No bathing as well Value for money Convenience
"saves money but no comfort"Robert s. 13/07/2014
We did this for convenience and to save a night of hotel. It was very uncomfortable and very difficult if not impossible to sleep. The website gave impression of first class comfort that was not met. We would not recommend this to friends or family. Value for money Convenience
"Night train"Jamie k. 03/07/2014
Went on sleeper train Amsterdam to Zurich- my wife and I and our 3 daughters It was great. V comfy. Girls loved it. We all slept well. A new experience for us Good price too Only criticism is there were 5 of us and despite lots of free cabins they put another passenger in with us to make up the 6 which wasn't ideal for him or us. Value for money Convenience
"Travel from Paris to Berlin "Wai Ling t. 05/06/2014
This is my first time to have overnight train, it was good experience. The train was clean, toilet was ok. I still can slept for few hours even I was in the six seat cabin. In addition, I can save time and money when I went to Berlin by the city night train. Value for money Convenience
"Coupe"Ruben a. 29/05/2014
Unfortunately toilette was not in coupe but outside. Also we did not have any table in the coupe. Value for money Convenience
"Generally okay"Farah Shuhadah r. 28/05/2014
The details t hat you provided is a bit confusing. I believe we took the City Night Line for our trip to Zurich. Anyway the City Night Line train was very comfortable - since we took the first class bed. The only thing that could be improved on is perhaps the "check in service" Our train was scheduled at 1207am. There was hardly anyone at the station. When the train arrived, there was no officer / worker to usher us into the right direction as a result of which we actually got into the wrong coach and then had to walk on our own to the right coach. Having paid for first class tickets, I would have expected at least a more clear sign to get us into the right directions to the proper coach. I cant really recall, but if im not mistaken there was also no wifi on the train. In this day and age, free wifi is always appreciated especially when you're travelling from one place to another. Otherwise, the journey was rather pleasant. Value for money Convenience