City Night Line
Find a Train Ticket
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Reviews & ratings (124)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|4 to 6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. Validation of your pass is having a Rail Official at the train station stamp your pass as valid.
- A.Refund policies for tickets will vary depending on the type of train and fare that are booked. Please check the "details" tab of each fare to obtain specific refund information for the fare you are purchasing.If you have already purchased your tickets, please review the terms and conditions that came with your documents. Except for PayPal, for which the amount can be reimbursed automatically on the PayPal account. For all the other payment services, a BIC (Bank Identifier Code) must be sent to receive the reimbursement of your purchase.
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
- A. A range of discounts and special offers are available in the European countries in which your Eurail Select Pass is valid. One of the most popular benefits is the discounted and free travel on various European ferry crossings. Other benefits include discounts on hotels, museums and additional transport.
- A. Any bonus that is free will use a travel day on your railpass. Discounted bonuses will not require the use of a travel day, but do require that the railpass is valid.
- A. Passes are non-transferable as travelers name appears on the Railpass, and are valid for 6 months from date of purchase, which offers you the opportunity to reschedule your trip.
- A. TGV trains offer high-speed train services connecting the major cities of France. Paris is 58 minutes from Lille, and Bordeaux is just under 3 hours from the French capital. Travel time between Paris and Marseille is 3 hours. And if you want to get to Strasbourg, it will take you only 2 hours and 20 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- A. It's easy! Use the self service kiosks at the rail station to retrieve your tickets in a few easy steps.
- A. Yes all high-speed trains require reservations. Some 1st class trains include meal service in the price of your ticket.
answered | Posted by sami a. | Comments 0 | Created: 23/02/2015
answered | Posted by mahmoud f. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/02/2015
answered | Posted by Lilla P. | Comments 0 | Created: 04/02/2015
answered | Posted by dwiti m. | Comments 1 | Created: 12/01/2015
answered | Posted by alice a. | Comments 3 | Created: 05/01/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
"the train with wifi"Lei z.
The service is quite good and has wifi ,that helps a lot for the following trips. But we book the duplex rooms the stairscase is too narrow to bring heavy baggages up:( Value for money Convenience
"Low season train rail"Lay Bee h. 17/12/2014
I was given the 3rd upper dock bed at cabin 118 Number 86 from Munich to Paris on 7 Dec. no other passager on the same cabin on that night and i enjoyed the own cabin and had a soundly sleep night Value for money Convenience
"Ticketing "Tan c. 12/11/2014
To provide ticket counter check before entering the train, avoiding wrong train taken. Value for money Convenience
"our review about the trip."Assaf p. 19/10/2014
hello, our travel by train was comfort, and we slept well. the room and the bed were clean. in the middle of the way the train had a mechanical problem in the engine, the train stopped, and the crew updated the passengers in English, and it was very thoughtful. the steward was very nice. we would like to use this service next time when we will travel. thank you. Value for money Convenience
"Bad"Carola p. 04/10/2014
The cabin had not taken to load cell or heater for the cold. Value for money Convenience
"night train Zurich-Amsterdam"Ofir l. 02/10/2014
I was the only one in a wagon of 3. still all the beds were made. please make sure to fold the middle bed if no one will sleep there in this ride. I couldn't even sit in my bed because of that. Value for money Convenience
"Late for 2 hours"Jie s. 06/08/2014
The train was late for 2 hours and the staff led us changed a train...... Value for money Convenience
"Overnight train"Wendy r. 03/08/2014
Great ride ... A bit bumpy on top bunk ... But we slept well and we're comfortable in our first-class sleeper. Took us a bit to orient ourselves to the train station when we first arrived, but The train was pretty easy to find and board. The steward was kind and helpful and made the trip a piece of cake. Arrived on time in the morning. Value for money Convenience
"Not a nice choice if u "Pui Chi l. 15/07/2014
Not a nice choice if u want to sleep better Thee area is small No bathing as well Value for money Convenience
"saves money but no comfort"Robert s. 13/07/2014
We did this for convenience and to save a night of hotel. It was very uncomfortable and very difficult if not impossible to sleep. The website gave impression of first class comfort that was not met. We would not recommend this to friends or family. Value for money Convenience
"Night train"Jamie k. 03/07/2014
Went on sleeper train Amsterdam to Zurich- my wife and I and our 3 daughters It was great. V comfy. Girls loved it. We all slept well. A new experience for us Good price too Only criticism is there were 5 of us and despite lots of free cabins they put another passenger in with us to make up the 6 which wasn't ideal for him or us. Value for money Convenience
"Travel from Paris to Berlin "Wai Ling t. 05/06/2014
This is my first time to have overnight train, it was good experience. The train was clean, toilet was ok. I still can slept for few hours even I was in the six seat cabin. In addition, I can save time and money when I went to Berlin by the city night train. Value for money Convenience
"Coupe"Ruben a. 29/05/2014
Unfortunately toilette was not in coupe but outside. Also we did not have any table in the coupe. Value for money Convenience
"Generally okay"Farah Shuhadah r. 28/05/2014
The details t hat you provided is a bit confusing. I believe we took the City Night Line for our trip to Zurich. Anyway the City Night Line train was very comfortable - since we took the first class bed. The only thing that could be improved on is perhaps the "check in service" Our train was scheduled at 1207am. There was hardly anyone at the station. When the train arrived, there was no officer / worker to usher us into the right direction as a result of which we actually got into the wrong coach and then had to walk on our own to the right coach. Having paid for first class tickets, I would have expected at least a more clear sign to get us into the right directions to the proper coach. I cant really recall, but if im not mistaken there was also no wifi on the train. In this day and age, free wifi is always appreciated especially when you're travelling from one place to another. Otherwise, the journey was rather pleasant. Value for money Convenience
"Satisfactory trip"Benjamin a. 26/05/2014
We choose the overnight train because it suited our budget and saved on accommodation, the carriage was ok space wise but we could not store our bags anywhere so had to block half the compartment and blocked access to the sink - the beds were more comfortable than a previous overnight trip and the breakfast a nice inclusion. We had an issue with the toilet in the morning which was blocked and not working so was not a nice end to the trip. Value for money Convenience