Find a Train Ticket
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Reviews & ratings (124)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2014
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|4 to 6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Can I borrow my travel partner’s rail pass if I prefer visiting Prague and that my partner wants to visit Hamburg?A. No, this is not possible as the extension must be accompanied by your nominative rail pass bearing your passport number, name and country of residence.
- A. Dining cars are available on most long distance trains. Normally, you can just walk into most dining cars, sit down, and eat without a reservation, but you are welcome to make a reservation for a meal when mealtime is busy, or when the train attendant announces the opening of the dining car. If your train does not have a dining car, it is likely to offer passengers a buffet bar car. On local trains, there may be an attendant with a snack cart who travels from car to car, selling snacks and beverages. Train Dining cars are part of the train experience and is unrivaled by any other means of transportation. In some trains the quality of the food and the wine is up to the standard of a gourmet restaurant.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 pieces of luggage and 1 carry-on bag.
- A. Generally, dogs are permitted on trains. Sometimes they may need to be contained in a pet carrier, or they may have to wear a muzzle or leash. Dogs normally travel at half the fare of a 2nd class ticket; this charge is payable directly to the conductor. Pets are not allowed on trains in Great Britain, Spain, Ireland, Norway, and Finland. Currently the only animals that will be permitted to travel on the Eurostar are guide dogs for the visually impaired.
- A. No, there are no student discounts. Discounts are offered to youth travelers instead. A youth traveler is any traveler who is 25 years of age or younger.
- A. Rail passes for children are generally half the adult fare. Some passes do not offer a child pass. Child tickets are offered on most trains and vary by train type. They are generally about half of an adult ticket. The Swiss Pass allows children under 16 to travel free when they are traveling with a parent who is holding a Swiss Pass. On BritRail passes, children 5 through 15 are free with each paying adult.
- A. A travel day is any travel between 12 midnight on one day to 12 midnight of the following day (i.e. a 24-hour period). On each travel day, you can take as many trains or participating ferries as you wish.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
answered | Posted by SADAN K. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2015
'print@home' does these tickets need to be validated on the respective stations? trenitalia does not recognize the booking id and (...)I have booked my tickets on raileurope,in (paris-venice-rome-milan) and i have printed the print@home tickets for my journey in (...)
answered | Posted by ABBASALI H. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/10/2015
answered | Posted by renan c. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/09/2015
answered | Posted by Alison P. | Comments 0 | Created: 03/09/2015
I would like to know, why the ticket from berlin to munich is about 100+ euros except from a 29euros ticket with the city night (...)I would like to know, why the ticket from Berlin to Munich is about 100+ euros except from a 29euros ticket with the City Night (...)
answered | Posted by ??????? ?. | Comments 2 | Created: 02/09/2015
Reviews & ratings City Night Line
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
"Good experience"Laura b. 16/06/2015
Overall the experience was positive. It was a great value for the money paid and was very convenient with the timing of the overnight train taken. We left the originating station a little late and it would have been nice to have more of the announcements in English, but everything was fine. Value for money Convenience
"Very Good". 21/05/2015
This is the first time I travel by train in Europe. It is a very nice experience. The train is very clean and the cabin is very comfortable. The breakfast is also good.
"Great deal"Cleber c. 07/05/2015
Great deal for the price. However, the beds are a bit small. Value for money Convenience
"tickets"Johanna s. 05/05/2015
We bought the tickets through NZ, but were not able to print them ourselves. Very inconvenient. The journey itself was problem free Value for money Convenience
"My feedback"Som Nath t. 05/04/2015
The coaches were very cozy and comfortable, while hygiene level in the WC was also very high. Amazing coffee served in the morning...thanks for memorable on-time service. Value for money Convenience
"the train with wifi"Lei z. 06/01/2015
The service is quite good and has wifi ,that helps a lot for the following trips. But we book the duplex rooms the stairscase is too narrow to bring heavy baggages up:( Value for money Convenience
"Low season train rail"Lay Bee h. 17/12/2014
I was given the 3rd upper dock bed at cabin 118 Number 86 from Munich to Paris on 7 Dec. no other passager on the same cabin on that night and i enjoyed the own cabin and had a soundly sleep night Value for money Convenience
"Ticketing "Tan c. 12/11/2014
To provide ticket counter check before entering the train, avoiding wrong train taken. Value for money Convenience
"our review about the trip."Assaf p. 19/10/2014
hello, our travel by train was comfort, and we slept well. the room and the bed were clean. in the middle of the way the train had a mechanical problem in the engine, the train stopped, and the crew updated the passengers in English, and it was very thoughtful. the steward was very nice. we would like to use this service next time when we will travel. thank you. Value for money Convenience
"Bad"Carola p. 04/10/2014
The cabin had not taken to load cell or heater for the cold. Value for money Convenience
"night train Zurich-Amsterdam"Ofir l. 02/10/2014
I was the only one in a wagon of 3. still all the beds were made. please make sure to fold the middle bed if no one will sleep there in this ride. I couldn't even sit in my bed because of that. Value for money Convenience
My booking was for 1st class 2 x Double Sleeper Milan to Innsbruck I received a small sleeper with a bunk bed . I was lead to believe I would have my own WC and Shower this was not so and I was to share with all other passengers This was the first leg of our trip I would not recommend anybody pay the fees for Ist class as the sleeper is so small you cannot even get your suit cases in properly. I there was no dining coach we were forced to sit in our sleeper food or snacks was limited and was expensive and hardly edible. Breakfast was included in the rate which was a croissant and some orange juice.
"Late for 2 hours"Jie s. 06/08/2014
The train was late for 2 hours and the staff led us changed a train...... Value for money Convenience
"Overnight train"Wendy r. 03/08/2014
Great ride ... A bit bumpy on top bunk ... But we slept well and we're comfortable in our first-class sleeper. Took us a bit to orient ourselves to the train station when we first arrived, but The train was pretty easy to find and board. The steward was kind and helpful and made the trip a piece of cake. Arrived on time in the morning. Value for money Convenience
"Not a nice choice if u "Pui Chi l. 15/07/2014
Not a nice choice if u want to sleep better Thee area is small No bathing as well Value for money Convenience