City Night Line
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|5-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- A. Eurostar Business Premier passengers will be offered a 3-course meal with refreshments at seat meanwhile in Standard Premier, you will get a light and cold meal with refreshments at seat. A bar buffet car with a selection of food and beverages for purchase is also available on Standard class.
- A. Yes. Passengers can use baggage lockers which are found between the coaches. However they have to make a 1 euro deposit. There are also luggage areas at the end of the carriage which can be used without any supplement.
- A. All ICE trains convey a Bordbistro and/or a Bordrestaurant. Depending on the time of the day, you can choose from various breakfast menus to suit any taste or main dishes from the "à la carte" menu. In addition to the standard dishes, the menu often features German and European regional specialties freshly prepared. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages which you can enjoy there or take back to your seat. In 1st Class coaches a selection of beverages and meals from the menus can be served at your seat on request. Snacks and beverages are also available at your seat in 2nd Class on ICE trains.
Q. Is it possible to travel from Cologne to Brussels by ICE and back by Thalys with a German Rail Pass Extension coupon?A. You can only travel from Cologne to Brussels with ICE trains. The extension is not valid on the Thalys train. There are 4 daily ICE trains between Germany and Belgium.
- A. We recommend that you choose the Rail Protection Plan when travelling in Europe. It provides a compensation in the case of loss or theft when you are in Europe. Conditions apply. Visit our Contact us section to get more information about the Rail Protection Plan. Please note that the Rail Protection Plan is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
- A. Depending on where you are traveling, there are two different rules regarding overnight travel. Some trains allow travelers departing after 7 PM to mark only the following day on the pass, meaning that only one travel day will be used. However, other trains will require that this travel use 2 days on your pass. It is recommended that you check the rules included in the ticket jacket included with your pass for more specific information.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Italy pass offers unlimited rail travel in Italy from 3 to 10 days. If you’re planning to travel several times by train, buying a Eurail Italy pass will be a more affordable option that buying individual rail tickets.
answered | Posted by Kathy L. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/02/2016
answered | Posted by Gonzalo T. | Comments 2 | Created: 19/01/2016
answered | Posted by Mei H. | Comments 2 | Created: 19/01/2016
answered | Posted by Hui C. | Comments 6 | Created: 18/01/2016
answered | Posted by Rafique D. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
Reviews & ratings City Night Line
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
- "nice experience" Yee Wun t. 26/01/2016
nice and helpful staff, comfortable bed. cheap price with good service. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Sleep" Robert o. 21/01/2016
The transfer to the CNL went without a hitch and we were met on the train by our attentive night porter. Amazing service from the moment we got on board. Seeing that we were a family of 3 travelling with a lot of luggage, the porter opened up the adjoining cabin so that we had double the space. Chilli and Beers turned up to ensure we were well fed before bedtime! Based on this experience, i would definitely consider doing this again in the future. Can't rate highly enough. Value for money Convenience
- "Superb " . 30/11/2015
Convenience and excellence service. Only a bit delay ;)
- "Europe by train" Mohammadidrees b. 23/11/2015
We travelled from Zurich to Amsterdam by City Night Line it was first announced "cancelled" then departed on time and arrived two hours late , compartment was very small . Value for money Convenience
- "Lekker train ride." Marius Johan s. 13/10/2015
Thank you so much for an really enjoyable adventure. Seeing that this was our first time traveling by train in Europa it was a great experience. Traveling by City Night Line gave us time to relax and sleep well. Much better than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "Great!" Amanda e. 12/10/2015
Clean, friendly staff, loved it. Value for money Convenience
- "Good experience" Laura b. 16/06/2015
Overall the experience was positive. It was a great value for the money paid and was very convenient with the timing of the overnight train taken. We left the originating station a little late and it would have been nice to have more of the announcements in English, but everything was fine. Value for money Convenience
- "big savings" Joel t. 08/06/2015
i saved 1 night of hotel/hostel by taking a night train from Venice to Munich. The train departed and arrived on time. Ride was smooth and comfortable though the space was tiny but for Asian built like me it is absolutely alright. The view was incredible when we were crossing Austria-Germany border. All those rolling hills with patches of red roof houses and endless spring flowers. Get up at around 5 am and stay in corridors to catch the view and sunrise. Would definitely try CNL again and recommend to my fellow travelers. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice scenery along the journey" Ho Lun Alan w. 08/06/2015
There was a charger to charge any electronics along the way, which is value adding. Value for money Convenience
- "Very Good" . 21/05/2015
This is the first time I travel by train in Europe. It is a very nice experience. The train is very clean and the cabin is very comfortable. The breakfast is also good.
- "Great deal" Cleber c. 07/05/2015
Great deal for the price. However, the beds are a bit small. Value for money Convenience
- "tickets" Johanna s. 05/05/2015
We bought the tickets through NZ, but were not able to print them ourselves. Very inconvenient. The journey itself was problem free Value for money Convenience
- "My feedback" Som Nath t. 05/04/2015
The coaches were very cozy and comfortable, while hygiene level in the WC was also very high. Amazing coffee served in the morning...thanks for memorable on-time service. Value for money Convenience
- "the train with wifi" Lei z. 06/01/2015
The service is quite good and has wifi ,that helps a lot for the following trips. But we book the duplex rooms the stairscase is too narrow to bring heavy baggages up:( Value for money Convenience
- "Low season train rail" Lay Bee h. 17/12/2014
I was given the 3rd upper dock bed at cabin 118 Number 86 from Munich to Paris on 7 Dec. no other passager on the same cabin on that night and i enjoyed the own cabin and had a soundly sleep night Value for money Convenience