City Night LineGermany : DB
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|5-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding a Frecciarossa train. Though, ticket control and passport checks will occur on board Frecciarossa train.
- A. You can print your Thalys ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available in FRANCE ONLY before boarding your Thalys train.
- A. Any bonus that is free will use a travel day on your railpass. Discounted bonuses will not require the use of a travel day, but do require that the railpass is valid.
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. Finding Train Tickets and Schedules can be accomplished with just a few simple steps. First click on the "Train Tickets" section, located on the top of any page. There you will find a form asking for your departure city and arrival city and the date that you would like to travel. You will also be asked the approximate time that you want to travel (morning, afternoon or evening). If you would like to book a round trip ticket, just click on the "Round Trip" option and provide the information for your return trip on the same page. Once all of your information has been entered and you have clicked "Search" you will be presented with a number of results to choose from. First, you will want to look through the times offered to see what the best schedule for your travel. Once you have chosen a schedule, you should begin to look at the prices that are offered. Fares are typically broken down into categories, Business, Flexi First, Best Price First, Flexi Second, Best Price Second and Super Saver. Best Price First and Best Price Second are classes tickets being more restrictive in terms of flexibility. Flexi First, Flexi second and Business are classes offering more flexibility. Although these classifications do apply to several different train types, it is always recommended that you click on the "Details" link under each fare type to show the specific refund and exchange rules for that price. Once you have decided on the train and fare that you would like to purchase, click on the "select" link, which will take you to the passenger selection page. Once you have input your passenger information you can choose to continue shopping or proceed to the checkout process.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. No, Eurostar does not transport cars. You can transport your car on Le Shuttle, which carries cars through the Channel Tunnel. For reservations with Le Shuttle, please call 08705 35 35 35 or at www.eurotunnel.com.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. First class on the TGV Medoffers large comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV Med offers generous legroom and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. TGV Lyria offers direct, high speed services between Paris-Gare de Lyon, Dijon and cities such as Geneva, Lausanne, Basel, Neuchatel, Bern and Zurich. During winter, TGV Lyria snow train connects you directly from Paris to the charming resorts of the canton of Vaud (including Château-d’Oex, Leysin, Les Diablerets and Villars) and Valais (Verbier, CransMontana, Leukerbad, Saas-Fee and Zermatt, among others).
answered | Posted by Mohammed S. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/09/2016
answered | Posted by Alice L. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/06/2016
answered | Posted by Prashant K. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/06/2016
answered | Posted by Patricia C. | Comments 4 | Created: 28/05/2016
answered | Posted by sneha a. | Comments 1 | Created: 13/05/2016
Reviews & ratings City Night Line
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
- "Uncomfortable" Kam Chuen c. 15/06/2016
The T3 cabin was really really tiny and I wish I have known this before booking. Would have booked two cabins instead. Could hardly move inside the cabin. This attendant was quite rude. Would never try this again. Value for money Convenience
- "Overnight train Venice/Munich" Thi Thuy Tien n. 20/02/2016
It was my first experience traveling with an overnight train. It departed and arrived on time. The beds were comfortable enough to get a good rest. The ordering of the tickets has to be carefully planned though since they were shipped from India to Europe. Otherwise everything was perfectly fine and the price was well worth the effort. Value for money Convenience
- "nice experience" Yee Wun t. 26/01/2016
nice and helpful staff, comfortable bed. cheap price with good service. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Sleep" Robert o. 21/01/2016
The transfer to the CNL went without a hitch and we were met on the train by our attentive night porter. Amazing service from the moment we got on board. Seeing that we were a family of 3 travelling with a lot of luggage, the porter opened up the adjoining cabin so that we had double the space. Chilli and Beers turned up to ensure we were well fed before bedtime! Based on this experience, i would definitely consider doing this again in the future. Can't rate highly enough. Value for money Convenience
- "Superb " . 30/11/2015
Convenience and excellence service. Only a bit delay ;)
- "Europe by train" Mohammadidrees b. 23/11/2015
We travelled from Zurich to Amsterdam by City Night Line it was first announced "cancelled" then departed on time and arrived two hours late , compartment was very small . Value for money Convenience
- "Lekker train ride." Marius Johan s. 13/10/2015
Thank you so much for an really enjoyable adventure. Seeing that this was our first time traveling by train in Europa it was a great experience. Traveling by City Night Line gave us time to relax and sleep well. Much better than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "Great!" Amanda e. 12/10/2015
Clean, friendly staff, loved it. Value for money Convenience
- "Good experience" Laura b. 16/06/2015
Overall the experience was positive. It was a great value for the money paid and was very convenient with the timing of the overnight train taken. We left the originating station a little late and it would have been nice to have more of the announcements in English, but everything was fine. Value for money Convenience
- "big savings" Joel t. 08/06/2015
i saved 1 night of hotel/hostel by taking a night train from Venice to Munich. The train departed and arrived on time. Ride was smooth and comfortable though the space was tiny but for Asian built like me it is absolutely alright. The view was incredible when we were crossing Austria-Germany border. All those rolling hills with patches of red roof houses and endless spring flowers. Get up at around 5 am and stay in corridors to catch the view and sunrise. Would definitely try CNL again and recommend to my fellow travelers. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice scenery along the journey" Ho Lun Alan w. 08/06/2015
There was a charger to charge any electronics along the way, which is value adding. Value for money Convenience
- "Very Good" . 21/05/2015
This is the first time I travel by train in Europe. It is a very nice experience. The train is very clean and the cabin is very comfortable. The breakfast is also good.
- "Great deal" Cleber c. 07/05/2015
Great deal for the price. However, the beds are a bit small. Value for money Convenience
- "tickets" Johanna s. 05/05/2015
We bought the tickets through NZ, but were not able to print them ourselves. Very inconvenient. The journey itself was problem free Value for money Convenience
- "My feedback" Som Nath t. 05/04/2015
The coaches were very cozy and comfortable, while hygiene level in the WC was also very high. Amazing coffee served in the morning...thanks for memorable on-time service. Value for money Convenience