German trains: Intercity (IC)
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Regional trains
German trains: Intercity (IC)
Intercity and Eurocity trains connect all major cities in Germany.
Intercity (IC) trains and Eurocity (EC) are trains which travel faster than regional trains in Germany. The IC and EC trains travel at a maximum speed of up to 200km/h and as such are categorized just after the Intercity Express (ICE), which are high speed trains. Intercity (IC) trains operate solely in within Germany while Eurocity (EC) trains continue their services to neighbouring countries. Both trains are operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the German national railway company. IC and EC have frequent services on core routes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- German trains: Intercity (IC) tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
The main train station in Berlin, the capital city of Germany is Berlin HBF. It is commonly known as Berlin Central Station. The train station is operated by DB.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 pieces of luggage and 1 carry-on bag.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
- A. Due to the limited availability on overnight trains, if you must change your sleeper reservation, try to do so immediately. You can visit the local station at least 24 hours prior to the train's departure and see what is available. Be aware that your reservation change may be subject to local service fees and/or upgrade charges. Reservations are required for sleepers and couchettes on all overnight trains and can be made up to 60 days in advance.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. No, travel on Eurostar requires a separate ticket. However, many rail passes include discounted rates for the Eurostar called a Passholder fare. To see a list of passes that allow these fares select "details" when viewing fares with a pass.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. There are two options: Option 1 You can select a Single compartment for 1 of the passengers and select a Double compartment for the 2 remaining passengers. Option 2 You can select 3 Single compartments, each will need to be requested on the website separately having 1 passenger on each reservation.
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
- A. Eurostar Business Premier passengers will be offered a 3-course meal with refreshments at seat meanwhile in Standard Premier, you will get a light and cold meal with refreshments at seat. A bar buffet car with a selection of food and beverages for purchase is also available on Standard class.
What is the most economic way to travel from berlin to nuremburg to munich to salzburg then back to berlin? does the german rail (...)I am planning my 12-day trip in Germany in end Dec, from Berlin to Nurnberg, to munich, salzburg, back to munich and Berlin. Can (...)
answered | Posted by Veronica T. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/11/2015
answered | Posted by Marita B. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/07/2015
Reviews & ratings German trains: Intercity (IC)
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "Longest ride ever" Willem George f. 21/09/2016
I will rather pay more and fly than take this ride again. There is no scenery and I was counting the minutes of the around 6-hour ride. There was also no dining cart attached to the train, so we could not even go and sit and have a meal to make the time go past. We had 2nd class tickets as that is all that was available, but that was no problem. Reserved seats and comfortable enough seats. Just boring ride and we LOVE train ride. We will only do trains in the future when it is a scenic route. Value for money Convenience
- "between average and good" Mordehay p. 20/09/2016
The lack of a reserved seat was a problem. the train was crowded and we were not comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "poor trip" Yochanan m. 17/09/2016
We payed good money ahead for the journey. When we got to Leipzig station we were talled that the first class wagen is closed and we have to find a seat alone. It doesn't fit your name. Value for money Convenience
- "Very relaxing trip." . 16/09/2016
Train on time. Platform easy to find and information desk very helpful.
- "All trains" . 13/09/2016
No room for big lugged
- "ditto" Ming-sian b. 04/09/2016
Overall it's good. However, we had problems with connection between local trains and ICE sometimes. We once had a 20 min delay and the coach number shown on the ticket is missing in the real train—it's coac Value for money Convenience
- "Round trip Praha <-> Berlin" Mariana f. 31/08/2016
The trains were good, the service could be better. We also got unlock to have a faulty ticket received from India, where the booking looked correct but the ticket had wrong codes (how am I expect to understand the company's codes), to complicate the situation the crew couldn't speak in English and it took a while for them to understand that we were not traveling for free neither in a wrong train but instead it was a mistake of RailEurope's office while printing our tickets. Everything turned out fine in the end but we had a bit to much stress for what was suppose to be an enjoyable vacation time. Value for money Convenience
- "Scenic trip tp Prague" Kerimi Erden g. 27/08/2016
The train car was a bit old and seats were dirty. However, after we crossed the border to Czech Republic we were served free drinks and newspapers. This was very convenient. Since the railway runs parallel to the river Vltava, the section between Dresden and Prague was very scenic. Value for money Convenience
- "PRAHA HL.N. - BERLIN HBF (TIEF" Mark b. 04/08/2016
Over priced. Not enough room near doors for luggage Value for money Convenience
- "New experience" . 02/08/2016
It was my first try traveling by train actually was not bad cheaper than aviation and chance to enjoy watching nature and cities up close
- "Trip or pleasure?" . 17/07/2016
Comfortable, punctual and excellent staff It was a pleasureful trip, it is stupid to travel by plane with this super rail efficiency along with incomparable pollution to aviation CO2 emission per traveler.
- "Thanks." Jang Kyo k. 05/07/2016
The trip was a comfortable and convenient experience. Both I and my wife enjoyed it. Value for money Convenience
- "It was a good travel on time." Luis s. 23/06/2016
The only problem verified was the lack of professionalism and even being annoying by the S-BAHN personnel in the Munich Central Station information’s guichet. We have had some problems with the ticket printing and they didn´t help us at all. Even they mislead us with wrong information. We have had to sort it out by ourselves on the 10th of June. But at the end everything was solved and the trip went well, but without any WIFI for the iphone or portable computer. Value for money Convenience
- "Type of train" Chee Seng y. 21/06/2016
Train is new and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Drupa 2016" Kim Boon l. 15/06/2016
Well timed for our trip Value for money Convenience