ICEGermany : DB
Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to € 60 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Berlin - Cologne: 04:19
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. ICE trains offer international connections including Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view. Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival. All announcements are made in German and English on board the ICE trains. Information displays inside each carriage show the ICE train’s destination, carriage number and the next station stop. If you’re travelling with children aboard ICE trains, make the most of the small play area in the dedicated children compartment.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
ICE trains first class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.There is no check-in prior to departure of ICE trains. When travelling to an international destination usually outside Germany, your ticket and passport will be checked once on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Reservation is only compulsory for ICE Trains called ICE Sprinter as these trains have special services such as a meal and newspaper. Here is the list: Hamburg HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Frankfurt HBF- Berlin HBF, Berlin HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Hamburg HBF – Koeln HBF and Koeln HBF – Hamburg HBF. Passes valid to travel within Germany cover Eurail Global and Select Passes including Germany / Eurail Germany-Benelux Pass / Eurail Germany-Denmark Pass / Eurail Germany-France / German Rail Pass.
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 bags/suitcases plus 1 piece of hand luggage and every piece of luggage must be labelled. Luggage can be stored in the racks above your seat on ICE trains.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. All ICE trains convey a Bordbistro and/or a Bordrestaurant. Depending on the time of the day, you can choose from various breakfast menus to suit any taste or main dishes from the "à la carte" menu. In addition to the standard dishes, the menu often features German and European regional specialties freshly prepared. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages which you can enjoy there or take back to your seat. In 1st Class coaches a selection of beverages and meals from the menus can be served at your seat on request. Snacks and beverages are also available at your seat in 2nd Class on ICE trains.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding ICE trains. Just be aware that for international destinations, ticket control and passport checks will occur on boarding the train. And if you are a pass holder, just remember that you have to validate your pass prior to boarding the ICE trains.
- A. ICE trains link major German cities from Cologne in the west to Berlin in the east. But they also cross borders and go into France, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
- A. You can book your ICE train up to 3 months in advance.
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
- A. ICE trains offer two travel classes: Standard and First. On First Class, some coaches feature individual video screens. Electric sockets for laptops or DVD players can be found in most First class carriages. Quiet zones are also reserved for passengers who want to travel in peace.
answered | Posted by Manpreet k. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/07/2016
answered | Posted by Achint K. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/07/2016
answered | Posted by Hui M. | Comments 4 | Created: 20/07/2016
answered | Posted by Chaudhry F. | Comments 4 | Created: 18/07/2016
answered | Posted by Ravi S. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/07/2016
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "luggage space limited" Ka Yee c. 23/07/2016
The seats on the train are fine with sufficient leg room. However, the space for storing the luggage is very limited. The only space is actually behind the back of some seats. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing journey " . 21/07/2016
The train was nice and smooth ride.
- "Train and ship work together." Yuk Sin c. 20/07/2016
This was our first time to travel with train and ship in one journey. We were excited to stay inside with the train which moving into a ship. It was also awful to sit on the deck with sunshine and wind blowing while crossing the sea towards Puttgarden. Everything was smooth and comfortable with Eurail selected pass. Unforgetable experience! Value for money Convenience
- "ICE is good" Tejaswi n. 12/07/2016
ICE was clean and nice Value for money Convenience
- "Inconvenient" Silvia m. 10/07/2016
I buyed a ticket online, from Argentina. The day of the trip I needed buy other ticket because the first, were "not valide". I didn't know what the matter. Today, only just know, I had buy twice the same trip. Value for money Convenience
- "MUENCHEN HBF - FRANKFURT (MAIN" Stephen y. 02/07/2016
Very convenience and nice jounery on train travel. Value for money Convenience
- "Enjoyable ride in the country" Tracey b. 30/06/2016
We did a cycle trip from Prague to Dresden and then returned to Prague via the rail. Wonderful way to view the ground we had travelled from a different perspective. The train was on time, seats comfortable. We had a class of young students get on, the volume increased but was still fun to watch the laughter and excitement they all shared. Great way to commute between countries. Value for money Convenience
- "Lack of Services" Mangat Rai m. 29/06/2016
For 350 EUR we didn't have In train WIFI, No still water in the canteen. The toilet has a malfunction where water wasn't flushing. Value for money Convenience
- "Business class trip to Dresden" Donald s. 29/06/2016
Train was comfortable and convenient. Enjoyed the trip. Value for money Convenience
- "Our trip to Nuremberg, Germany" Mohiddin s. 22/06/2016
It was a good, comfortable trip. The service was as expected, excellent. Overall a good experience. No complaints. Value for money Convenience
- "Frankfurt (MAIN) HBF" Chee Seng y. 21/06/2016
Receptionist at DB BAHN Frankfurt (MAIN) HBF is very helpful to passenger whom speak German, but not so patience with passenger whom speak English. Platform Train Captain is very helpful instead. Well done Captain. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable ride " Seong Yun Robin l. 19/06/2016
The train arrived 10 minutes later than schedule. Other than that, it was a comfortable journey Value for money Convenience
- "COMPLAINT" Riad h. 18/06/2016
I booked my trip from overseas. It was my 1st time to use the ticket machine and it printed the receipt only and not the ticket. I went to both offices in Berlin station and no one could assist in getting my paid ticket. Only a nice lady at your upper office helped in buying a new ticket, and i paid almost double the 1st one, and ended up with two paid fares, which i believe is very unfair Value for money Convenience
- "Drupa 2016" Kim Boon l. 15/06/2016
Everything within our expectation, will travel again Value for money Convenience
- "Plan ahead " Lori l. 10/06/2016
The storms were bad when we traveled and some of the trains were cancelled and rerouted due to standing water, and some were also rerouted to a bus. Very unusual for this area in Germany. Again, travel as light as possible, double check your train schedule for changes, carry a map at all times, and be ready to go with the flow. If you are connecting for a flight, give yourself an extra day to arrive and relax before you head home to recover from your vacation. Value for money Convenience