- Book up to 90 days in advance
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. ICE trains offer international connections including Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view. Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival. All announcements are made in German and English on board the ICE trains. Information displays inside each carriage show the ICE train’s destination, carriage number and the next station stop. If you’re travelling with children aboard ICE trains, make the most of the small play area in the dedicated children compartment.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
ICE trains first class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.There is no check-in prior to departure of ICE trains. When travelling to an international destination usually outside Germany, your ticket and passport will be checked once on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Train stations in Europe are very accessible and easy to find. Although the physical train station addresses are generally not listed, the stations are centrally located within the city and accessible with the cities public transportation system or taxi. Check with hotel concierge to give you the best directions from your hotel. Taxi drivers know how to get your to your station fast and worry free.
- A. A railpass month is counted as a calendar month. For example, a pass that begins on July 15th will expire at midnight on August 14th.
Q. If I'm traveling through a country not included on Eurail Select Pass, can I add that country to the pass?A. Passes are only valid for travel in the countries covered by that particular pass. If you travel through a country not included on your pass, you'll need to purchase an additional ticket for that part of the trip. For example, if you travel from Germany to Italy through Austria, Austria is not a country on your Eurail Select Pass and will not be covered; you must purchase an additional ticket. If you have not purchased your pass please view our online maps to see if you will be travelling through a country you have not planned for.
- A. Yes, you may travel as many times are you like between countries that are on your pass.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
- A. Travel from London - Paris/Brussels and most of the train stations in between these 2 routes. For more detailed information on how to use a Eurostar self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at Eurostar train stations ?
- A. Most major train stations have lockers or luggage storage available at an additional cost. Make sure you have some change available if you are planning to use a locker.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. TGV trains offer high-speed train services connecting the major cities of France. Paris is 58 minutes from Lille, and Bordeaux is just under 3 hours from the French capital. Travel time between Paris and Marseille is 3 hours. And if you want to get to Strasbourg, it will take you only 2 hours and 20 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- A. On-board Eurostar, you are allowed two medium-sized cases (85cm at their longest length), and one piece of hand luggage per passenger. Any luggage over the allowance will be counted as excess luggage and will incur a fee. This will be arranged at the Eurostar terminal on your arrival.
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "Stuttgart to Hamburg" Peter m. 22/02/2017
A very pleasant trip Value for money Convenience
- "Good trip" Krishnaraj v. 15/01/2017
There were no other hassles as such. We felt that the price of the tickets were high. Value for money Convenience
- "Very nice experience with ICE" Nurhan Pinar t. 08/01/2017
These trains are very comfortable. They are also very fast. The journey we had from Munich to Stuttgart was very nice in general. Value for money Convenience
- "great" Ashish n. 07/01/2017
nice journey Value for money Convenience
- "Trip to Kolen from Amsterdam" . 02/01/2017
It was a good experience, difficult Part was finding the right compartment from the Amsterdam station. No officer was found on the plat form. Initially One train came, but my compartment number was not there, I went here and there, but no one was there to clarify. suddenly i saw 2 nd train has been attached with my compartment. I have to hurry with the time. This problem was not only for me but to other travelers as well. Need some mechanism to guide.
- "My trip to Nuernberg" Aahil j. 27/12/2016
It was my first time I go to Nuernberg .The train service was on time . the seat was comfortable .I had a chance to buy coffee from the rest wagon ,and the trip was enjoyable Value for money Convenience
- "First Class" . 16/12/2016
Travelled in first class carriage,the seats were adjustable, so comfort assured. Train was on time. Staff were polite and helpful. As part of our holiday is was a very enjoyable experience.
- "Ease and Comfort" Ruth c. 10/12/2016
Thank you Rail Europe. I did not experience any problems in this trip. You are on time, clean, and helpful-friendly employees. Value for money Convenience
- "great trip" . 04/12/2016
- "Enjoyable Ride from Munich" Chaw Sing h. 28/11/2016
I took the ICE train from Munich Central Station to Frankfurt Airport. The total journey took about 5 hours, an hour longer than scheduled due to weather elements and stops along the way. The ride was comfortable, very affordable and extremely convenient. The Wifi was not working for some reason but I had dataroam so was not a problem. There was refreshments (add-on) and the seat was very comfortable. I would recommend this to flying if you can afford the time as you can view the scenery and the different towns it stopped along the way. Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful ride" David c. 27/11/2016
Train from Hamburg to Copenhagen. Beautiful ride, including 50 minutes on a ferry. Clean train. On time. Nice scenery. Value for money Convenience
- "Train from Frankfurt to Berlin" Rachel h. 16/11/2016
Our trip was very nice. Comfortable, clean train. Only challenge was printing the tickets in Frankfurt. Once accomplished—a lovely ride. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Service" David h. 11/11/2016
On time, comfortable, helpful personell Value for money
- "Great experience." . 07/11/2016
Train ride was very comfortable and it was also very convenient to be able to check-in on to a Lufthansa flight at a counter just next to the train station, without having to queue in line at the at the airport at Frankfurt - great idea
- "Frankfurt Airport to Stuttgart" . 01/11/2016
Excellent on-time service, friendly train administrator who handed out some snacks and smiled. Very good.