PROMO CODE*: 7ESS14 min. order €150
PROMO CODE*: 8ESS14 min. order €300
PROMO CODE*: 9ESS14 min. order €600
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Find a point to point ticket
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. ICE trains offer international connections including Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view. Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival. All announcements are made in German and English on board the ICE trains. Information displays inside each carriage show the ICE train’s destination, carriage number and the next station stop. If you’re travelling with children aboard ICE trains, make the most of the small play area in the dedicated children compartment.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 92 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Paper ticket||Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.|
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
ICE trains first class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.There is no check-in prior to departure of ICE trains. When travelling to an international destination usually outside Germany, your ticket and passport will be checked once on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>||√|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>||√|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (564)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
"Nice travel"Pui Chi l.
Nice train Value for money Convenience
"Nice Ride"Katherine s. 11/07/2014
Comfortable and fast. It was just trick figuring out where the first class cars were located, Value for money Convenience
"Frankfurt Zurich"Christian s. 05/07/2014
Fantastic carriages, clean, upmarket seat with laptop and mobile facilities i.e. power sockets and wifi on all trains Also restaurant that services nice food and drinks Value for money Convenience
"No on board assistance"Lynette d. 04/07/2014
Also could have had more assistance on the train in terms of where you store luggage, assisting with seat allocations as you normally had to ask someone to move from your allocated seat. Value for money Convenience
"Riverboat Germany"Michael w. 19/06/2014
This was the first time we had traveled by train in Europe. The train was fine, seats comfortable. The only problem we had was trying to figure out 'where' the car was we reserved? We tried to read the diagram at the station, even ask people, but ended up on the wrong car and had to 'drag' our luggage through the train to the 1st class car. We know the directions are at the station, we just had a hard time trying to understand them. Otherwise, the train was fine and would use it again for travel now that we 'kinda know' what to do. Thanks! Value for money Convenience
"enjoyable"Claire c. 17/06/2014
Convenient and comfortable. A little more expensive than I would have liked, but overall, a reasonable price for the convenience. Value for money Convenience
"My recent trip"Paresh s. 13/06/2014
It was nice trip. Value for money Convenience
"Comfortable transportation"Wan Ting l. 11/06/2014
so nice and the schedule on time, can check the schedule through mobile apps Value for money Convenience
"End of our journey"Allen s. 04/06/2014
Using the train to the airport was great and made our trip less stressful and easy. Thank you. Value for money Convenience
"mulhouse to zurich". 20/05/2014
Great and comfortable Value for money Convenience
"Great experience!!"Megan c. 15/05/2014
Using RailEurope was a great experience. We ordered our tickets online and they were mailed to us in Spain and it was quick and easy. Value for money Convenience
"Superb Connection"Mark d. 07/05/2014
Chose this option to have time to make a connection from our TGV from Paris. With the timeliness of the TGV we should not have worried about having the extra time. The benefit was it was only a two train journey. Comfortable and clean. Great no hassle way to travel within Europe. Value for money Convenience
"nice"Liao k. 03/05/2014
a little bit expensive Value for money Convenience
"Business trip Frankfurt Nuremb"Peter f. 19/03/2014
Great trip. Comfortable ,fast on time. Whats not to like? Value for money
"Some improvements"Onur u. 18/02/2014
I think your online ticketing system needs an improvement. We fly with mobile QR codes instead of Paper tickets. But I still have to spend money to have my tickets posted to me. While I'm in a different country. I think a printout copy of the mail should have been enough. Thanks. Value for money Convenience