Italian trains: FrecciarossaItaly : Trenitalia
Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to € 60 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Venice - Milan: 02:23
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Frecciarossa, high speed trains serving all main cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and Naples.
The high speed train, called Frecciarossa (red arrow), serves major cities in Italy. Frecciarossa is operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company of Italy. Travelling at a maximum speed of 360 km/h, the Frecciarossa stops at Torino, Milan, Rome and Salerno to name but a few cities. The high speed train is modern and safe, making it a popular in Italy. Every year millions of passengers use the Frecciarossa.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Frecciarossa include Rome, Naples, Milan and Florence.
|Rome – Naples||1h 10|
|Milan – Florence||1h 45|
|Rome – Milan||2h 55|
|Milan – Bologna||1h 05|
|Milan – Naples||4h 10|
|Venise - Rome||3h 16|
|Florence – Rome||1h 35|
|Reggio Emilia||Rome||02:53||€ 59|
|Reggio Emilia||Milan||01:19||€ 27|
|Milan||Rimini It||02:10||€ 50|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Frecciarossa tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Looking for a weekend getaway in Italy? Trenitalia will offer you the most convenient railway network in the country. The company is the primary operator of trains within Italy, including Sicily and Sardinia.
Experience the service
Before you board
Railway stations are situated in the heart of the cities, with good connections with other public transport. If you have a Business ticket, you will be welcomed by the railway staff at the platform.There is no check-in prior to boarding Italian high speed trains operated by Trenitalia. However we recommend arriving at least 15 minutes before departure at the station. There are ticket controls on board the Italian high speed trains.
|First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Business||Premium||Standard|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Trolley service Catering by the trolley service is offered directly at seat. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
Trenitalia Frecce trains offer you the most comfortable on-board experience you could expect from a high-speed train. Soundproof carriages and ergonomic chairs will be welcoming you in every service offered by the primary operator of trains in Italy.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding a Frecciarossa train. Though, ticket control and passport checks will occur on board Frecciarossa train.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
answered | Posted by aloysius w. | Comments 0 | Created: 21/02/2016
answered | Posted by Thomas T. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/02/2016
answered | Posted by Mike W. | Comments 2 | Created: 03/02/2016
answered | Posted by John U. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Mohammad A. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Overall rating (705)
Overall appreciationExcellent 36% Very good 36% Average 20% Poor 4% Terrible 4%
- "Delayed due to Technical Issue" Kunal k. 26/06/2016
It was a frustrating journey from Venice to Milan as the train had technical concerns that had halted every 10 mins, causing a delay of 2 hours to reach Milan. Due to which, we missed our train from Milan to Luzern and were forced to the next train that was departing 1 hour later from our arrival in Milan. Moreover, the train we were told to take didn't have reserved seats for us and no Wi-Fi. Value for money Convenience
- "Great trip" Saryna v. 23/06/2016
I love the Frecciarossa trains in Italy. They travel at high speeds, are very comfortable and also affordable. The toilets can just be kept cleaner. Value for money Convenience
- "2nd Train Trip Ever" Cheri z. 23/06/2016
This was only my 2nd trip by train ever. The Nice station was only a 10 minute walk to/from our hotel. We traveled from Nice to Milan, and changed trains in Milan to Florence. The trains were on time, clean, and very quiet. Saw some beautiful country on our trip. Very easy Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent Service" Steven c. 22/06/2016
Clean, punctual and efficient. A real pleasure Value for money Convenience
- "Florence to Venice" Monica l. 20/06/2016
We booked as a couple in business class but, unfortunately were allocated seats in a four which meant we could not stretch out our legs. However, the seats were comfortable enough. Although we were in business class we were only offered one small plastic cup of soft drink and a tiny snack. British business class service beats Frecciarossa hands down. However, in Italy the train beats driving anytime! The journey was quick. Watch out for porters grabbing your bags and then demanding money for helping you. Value for money Convenience
- "Train trip review" Grace l. 20/06/2016
All good except that the train platform information is released far too late. Value for money Convenience
- "Met expectations " Juliana l. 19/06/2016
Train arrived late by 1 hr. Nothing much to shout about and I got to my destination. Value for money Convenience
- "Great trip!" Jane k. 17/06/2016
I booked my train travel from home, and printed my ticket before I left. Everything worked very well. I would highly recommend this method of travel. Thank you! Jane Value for money Convenience
- "Andrew Steyn" . 16/06/2016
It was an experience for all of us.Very relaxed and comfortable.We saw the other side of Italy.We will definitely make use of Italian Trains next time.
- "easy travel" Jeffery h. 16/06/2016
The train was easy to board and get off at our destination. The ride was smooth and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable Trip" Shirley Anne b. 14/06/2016
A perfect way to travel. Value for money Convenience
- "not bad" Nim Yi l. 13/06/2016
It is impressive that the train is not affected by the strike. Value for money Convenience
- "Paris to Milan Over Night" Richard s. 12/06/2016
The trip was ok but as a first time user, I thought my first class ticket may get me a little more for the money. I was relieved at the relative privacy of a three bed cabin but thought the dining car could have been better. The staff were friendly and the trains were perfectly on time. The timing suited me well Value for money Convenience
- "A comfortable experience " . 12/06/2016
This was our first train ride in Italy and we were so impressed by its efficiency and comfort. The only downside is the porter that waits inside the train car to supposedly help you with luggages and asked for a Euro10 tip considering that we already refused his assistance. Other than that, everything was a okay!
- "Business class at a promo rate" Anne r. 10/06/2016
It was worth to take the business class for a 4 hour trip especially since we got a promo rate since we booked a month ahead. We appreciate the free drinks and snacks plus the free Wi-Fi. Very relaxing seats with spacious leg room. Value for money Convenience