Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Find a Train Ticket
- Venice - Milan: 02:23
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (705)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Italian trains: Frecciarossa
Frecciarossa, high speed trains serving all main cities like Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and Naples.
The high speed train, called Frecciarossa (red arrow), serves major cities in Italy. Frecciarossa is operated by Trenitalia, the national railway company of Italy. Travelling at a maximum speed of 360 km/h, the Frecciarossa stops at Torino, Milan, Rome and Salerno to name but a few cities. The high speed train is modern and safe, making it a popular in Italy. Every year millions of passengers use the Frecciarossa.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Frecciarossa include Rome, Naples, Milan and Florence.
|Rome – Naples||1h 10|
|Milan – Florence||1h 45|
|Rome – Milan||2h 55|
|Milan – Bologna||1h 05|
|Milan – Naples||4h 10|
|Venise - Rome||3h 16|
|Florence – Rome||1h 35|
|La Spezia||Rome||02:47||€ 54|
|Milan||La Spezia||03:08||€ 35|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Frecciarossa tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Looking for a weekend getaway in Italy? Trenitalia will offer you the most convenient railway network in the country. The company is the primary operator of trains within Italy, including Sicily and Sardinia.
Experience the service
Before you board
Railway stations are situated in the heart of the cities, with good connections with other public transport. If you have a Business ticket, you will be welcomed by the railway staff at the platform.There is no check-in prior to boarding Italian high speed trains operated by Trenitalia. However we recommend arriving at least 15 minutes before departure at the station. There are ticket controls on board the Italian high speed trains.
|First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Business||Premium||Standard|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Trolley service Catering by the trolley service is offered directly at seat. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
Trenitalia Frecce trains offer you the most comfortable on-board experience you could expect from a high-speed train. Soundproof carriages and ergonomic chairs will be welcoming you in every service offered by the primary operator of trains in Italy.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer two classes of travel: first class and second class. First Class ticket holders will receive a welcome drink, a snack and a daily Italian newspaper. Either travel class you may choose, you will be able to surf the Net on Frecciarossa trains using a USB key or any other portable device equipped with a Wi-Fi antenna.
- A. Frecciarossa trains run on the high-speed line connecting Turin to Salerno, Northern to Southern Italy and more particularly Milan, Bologna, Florence, Rome, and Naples. These trains connect Bologna to Florence in just 37 minutes and Rome to Milan in less than 3 hours. Travel time between Milan and Florence is just 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- A. Frecciarossa trains offer a full sit-down restaurant service, with a regularly changing menu of traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant is very modern and elegant. Alternatively, Frecciarossa trains also feature a coffee bar service offering fresh sandwiches, snacks, desserts and hot and cold beverages.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding a Frecciarossa train. Though, ticket control and passport checks will occur on board Frecciarossa train.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. Like most high-speed train services, you’ll need to reserve a seat to travel on Frecciarossa trains. For holders of Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass (including Italy) / Eurail France-Italy pass / Eurail Greece-Italy / Eurail Italy Pass, just remember that you need to validate your pass before boarding a Frecciarossa train.
- A. On-board Frecciarossa trains, the official luggage allowance is two large bags or suitcases and one piece of hand luggage. It’s enough to enjoy a very long trip and explore the richness of Italy.
- A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes) Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
answered | Posted by HENDRIK V. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/02/2015
We want to start our trip from paris and go to the following cities: marseilles, nice and montecarlo then on to florence then (...)can you suggest a better route? this is over a 10 day period. I need an answer
answered | Posted by james c. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/02/2015
answered | Posted by Jacqueline S. | Comments 2 | Created: 23/02/2015
answered | Posted by gabi m. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/02/2015
answered | Posted by Jo A. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/02/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (705)
Overall appreciationExcellent 36% Very good 36% Average 20% Poor 4% Terrible 4%
"Best Experience"Anil c.
It's beter to travel by train than by air in europe. Its a great experience for me, travel itself is a great experience before reaching the destination. Value for money Convenience
"Excellent"Chain Fei l. 14/02/2015
Very enjoy Value for money Convenience
"comfortable traviling"Ahmed i. 12/02/2015
i'd like to travel again using this trains Value for money Convenience
"We were surprised to the favor"Rivka c. 05/02/2015
Traveled in this train the first time and we enjoyed from all a moment. Will recommend on the train of every our friend and will be happy to use this train again in the future. Rivka Value for money Convenience
"Everything is Good except Food"Yu-chun h. 03/02/2015
Everything is Good except for purchase food, I went to car 4 to buy coffee and snack, but the waitress told me go finding the moving dining car my self, I could not buy there, and in a very bad attitude. Value for money Convenience
"Typical Italian train"Wai Yin l. 02/02/2015
To continue with my review of Munich to Bologna train, this is the 2nd part of the travel from Bologna to Florence. It's not my first time on Frecciarossa/Trenitalia, so I call this a typical Italian train ride. Seats are a bit narrower and more packed than the DB train. Nothing bad, just a comparison with DB train. Value for money Convenience
"Italian countryside."Colin t. 27/01/2015
Comfort and views. The train moved seamlessly through the Italian country side with us glued to the windows pointed excitedly at snowy mountains, ruined castles, little villages that we would love to visit, and how much faster the train was going than the cars on the motorway. Great trip, but the fact that the train was only half full meant we could relax, and that really made the trip. Value for money Convenience
"Purchase a seat"Beata v. 27/01/2015
Travelling by train in Italy is really comfortable. I can advice to purchase a seat, as trains during the week, especially in the evenings are quite crowded. Value for money Convenience
"Comfort Trip"Ali a. 24/01/2015
I was glad to take advantage from your service. Value for money Convenience
"Recommended!"Andrew j. 18/01/2015
Easy to book online! Comfortable train! Excellent information onboard! Excellent experience from booking to destination! Value for money Convenience
"Good journey "Akihiro k. 13/01/2015
Everything was good. I felt so comfortable. Value for money Convenience
"Day trip to Verona"Zaidi Bin m. 12/01/2015
Like Train was clean. Train depart on time. Dislike Pre-booking (via internet) of seat for 3 year old child is not allowed. Internet connection on train does not work for travellers that do not have a valid local authentication information. Value for money Convenience
"Smooth and comfortable "Jia Zhong l. 12/01/2015
Printed out boarding tickets prior to travel. Journey was smooth and comfortable. On board food was good. Recommended for anyone looking to travel similar to my itinerary. Value for money Convenience
"Good but no value for money"Nitin m. 11/01/2015
Train was clean and on time. Service provided inside train was basic. Just 2 drinks and 1 pack cookies. In business class seat was not that much comfortable or reclined. No wifi at all. Staff inside train was very good. Value for money Convenience
"Love taking train in Italy"Esther w. 10/01/2015
Love to take train from Venice to Verona. The seats are nice and comfortable, appreciate if there is more space for the big luggage Value for money Convenience