Italian trains: Italo
Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to € 60 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Florence - Rome: 01:32
- Book early, save up to 80%
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- High speed trains
Italian trains: Italo
Italo, high speed trains serving main cities like Venice, Rome, Milan, Florence etc with best comfort.
Italo is the high speed train operated by a second railway company in Italy, NTV (Nuovo Trasporto Viaggiatori). Italo is a beautiful and modern red train, travelling at up to 360km/h. It connects major Italian cities like Rome, Napoli, Florence and Milan. Italo’s design, comfort, onboard services awaken the pleasure of train travel. Wi-Fi Internet everywhere on board and small cozy business class lounges, refined cuisine… such are the treats which await you on board the Italo. Italo is one of the most modern trains in the world. Compared to a classic high speed train, it consumes 30% less energy, thus promoting actions which will improve eco-sustainability. If you have purchased a rail pass which includes Italy, please note that Passholder fares are not offered for Italo trains. If you have an Italo ticket from/to Florence, you can benefit from free travel on the Ataf network (buses, tramvia 1) 24 hours before or after your travel date. Please note that if the number of infants exceeds the number of adults, any additional infant will be charged at a child’s rate.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Napoli – Roma||1 h 08|
|Roma – Firenze||1 h 27|
|Milan – Firenze||1 h 56|
|Roma – Bologna||2 h 12|
|Firenze – Napoli||2 h 42|
|Roma – Milan||2 h 45|
|Milan – Napoli||4 h 46|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Italian trains: Italo tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
If you are looking for comfort, safety and value for money to visit Italy’s main cities, look no further. Italo is the perfect way to discover Italy by train.
Privately operated by NTV, Italo trains have an avant-garde look and feel, almost inviting you to jump on board hit the rails immediately.
Experience the service
Before you board
The high-speed Italo trains will stop at Roma Termini, Roma Tiburtina and Roma Ostiense when in Rome, and Milano Centrale and Milano Rogoredo when in Milan.
The Milan Central railway station is the most important train station in Milan.
The Milano Rogoredo railway station has a connection with Rogoredo metro station. It is located about 10km away from the Linate airport. The ATM Bus lines 73 and X73 offers a connection from Milano Linate airport to Milan city centre.
The Roma Termini railway station is the main railway station of Rome. It is 20 minutes’ walk away from the Colosseum.
The Roma Ostiense railway station is the gateway to Roma Fiumicino Airport and is convenient for business travellers.
The Roma Tiburtina railway station is 4 km away from Roma Termini station. The metro offers an easy connection between the two stations. Roma Tiburtina railway station is a brand new station for high speed trains only. It is connected to the Tiburtina metro station.
Other stations served by the Italo trains are Torino Porta Nuova and Verona Porta Nuova.There is no check in or customs procedures prior to boarding Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. For any assistance, queries or requests please refer to the Casa Italo counters.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Prima||Smart|
|Business lounge at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Welcome drink Nothing more refreshing than being welcomed by a drink from the friendly staff. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious leather seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Service crew For any question or help, a hostess/steward is present on board. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
- Each carriage of Italo trains is equipped with CCTV, thus allowing an increased security for the passengers.
- If you want to have a snack or a drink, there are 2 Area Break with self-service vending machines in coach n°3 and n°7 on board the Italo trains. Passengers travelling in Prima or Club can benefit from an at-seat catering service on board the Italo trains.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
- A. There is no Senior fare available for Italo trains. However children aged from 4 to 14 have a 25% discount on the full adult fare. As for children under 3 years old, they can travel for free if they do not require any seat.
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. Yes, there is a catering service on board Italo trains. While there are 2 Area break with self-service vending machines, there are no bar/restaurant coaches. From the vending machines which are in coach 3 and 7, you can but hot and cold drinks as well as snacks. Passengers in Club and Prima class will be offered a catering service at an extra cost, which you must pay once on board. You can order the Italo breakfast, if you are travelling in the early morning between Milan and Rome.
- A. Italo trains offer high speed train services connecting the major cities of Italy such as Milano, Bologna, Firenze, Roma, Napoli, Salerno, Venezia, Torino and Padova. There are several daily connections between the main cities which are served by Italo. There are several daily connections between Milan and Roma and the number of connections will increase in the following years.
- A. Yes. Passengers can use baggage lockers which are found between the coaches. However they have to make a 1 euro deposit. There are also luggage areas at the end of the carriage which can be used without any supplement.
- A. Italo offers different classes of service. Rail Europe offers 3 classes of service for Italo: the Smart class, the Club class and the Prima class. The Smart class is the equivalent of second class, where passengers have the following services: 2 dedicated stewards/hostesses and comfortable seats. The Prima class is the equivalent of first class, where passengers have the following services: A dedicated steward/hostess, welcome drink and snacks, daily newspapers, complimentary expresso and large reclining seats. A supplement is needed for catering service in Prima class. The Club class has the same services as the Prima class plus video screens and access to business lounge.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
answered | Posted by SYED N. | Comments 6 | Created: 24/05/2016
answered | Posted by Chandramouli S. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/02/2016
answered | Posted by Mohammad A. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/01/2016
answered | Posted by Haneef | Comments 0 | Created: 19/01/2016
answered | Posted by Ang C. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Italian trains: Italo
Overall rating (58)
Overall appreciationExcellent 60% Very good 28% Average 8% Poor 1% Terrible 4%
- "Train Failure Cause Delay" Alwyn r. 20/07/2016
We were delayed with more than 1 hour due to train failure and this caused some inconvenience regarding the shuttle we had organised to take us to Amalfi, Value for money Convenience
- "Train to Naples" Stefania j. 20/07/2016
Our first train ride on Italo. It was easy to book online, and we were able to take advantage of a good offer for advance purchase. The train was on time and very comfortable - although the promised wifi did not seem to work. Don't expect too much from the 'complementary welcome drink and snack' - it is a glass of water or juice with a biscuit or a packet of nuts. Value for money Convenience
- "Euro Tour 2016" Angelina m. 19/07/2016
Travelling by train is a lot more convenient and less hassle and time saving. Railway system in Europe is very systematic. Value for money Convenience
- "Superb" Georgios k. 19/07/2016
The trip was fine, on time and the electronic tickets ok. Value for money Convenience
- "Superb" Georgios k. 19/07/2016
The trip was fine, on time, the electronic tickets ok. Value for money Convenience
- "Extremely satisfied" Rowen f. 19/07/2016
We were very impressed with the train, staff and service, thank you very much for a safe journey Value for money Convenience
- "Fast and comfortable" Mayank m. 17/07/2016
We enjoyed our trip by train it was very comfortable and really fast covering such a distance. Value for money Convenience
- "Short excellent trip" Kim Hian t. 07/07/2016
1. boarding info at the station was easy to find 2. boarding info updates on the platform fast and accurate 3. luggage racks above seats not so easy if your bags are heavy to lift 4. train and toilets very clean 5. conductors polite and helpful Value for money Convenience
- "Florence to Rome" Kar Wai n. 01/07/2016
The seats are comfortable and it was absolutely value for money. It's not my first time to travel by train to Rome. But the service was outstanding this time. Will choose RailEurope again for sure. Value for money Convenience
- "Convenient and comfortable!" Sanjay j. 25/06/2016
Good comfortable journey. Enjoyed our trip. Value for money Convenience
- "Naples to Florence" Monica l. 20/06/2016
We booked as a couple in business class but, unfortunately were allocated seats in a four which meant we could not stretch out our legs. However, the seats were comfortable enough. Although we were in business class we were only offered one small plastic cup of soft drink and a tiny snack. British business class service beats Italo hands down. However, in Italy the train beats driving anytime! The journey was quick. Watch out for porters grabbing your bags and then demanding money for helping you. Value for money Convenience
- "Online booking" Rachel w. 20/06/2016
Would like to give a big thumb up for your online booking system Is a good bridge to connect the Asia Market Value for money Convenience
- "nice trip good wifi speed" Xia q. 19/06/2016
ive tried many trains and this is the only one with good wifi speed and the train is nice environment and very punctual as well really enjoy the journey Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable Overnight Train" Juliana l. 19/06/2016
1St class cabins were excellent. Clean, comfortable and cozy. Liked the nice touches such as overnight knit with toothbrush and toothpaste, and simple packed breakfast. Value for money Convenience
- "Superb journey" Rajesh m. 18/06/2016
Liked the journey very much. it was a tremendous experience speeding at 300 km/hr. Value for money Convenience