Railjet - Austria and beyond
Great deals to tour Europe!
Get up to € 60 off your booking and enjoy summer in Europe!
Discover iconic cities such as Paris, London and Rome.
Find a Train Ticket
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (65)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern, perhaps even futuristic Railjet trains are the new high-speed service from the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They operate at speeds of up to 230 km/h (143mph). The Railjet trains have carriages which as comfortable as luxurious. With modern equipment and generous compartment space, the Railjet guarantees a unique travel experience. The Railjet train snakes through the splendid Bavarian countryside as you approach the Alps. It winds by rivers and past farmland and wind turbines, offering truly breathtaking scenery throughout Austria.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich, here’s an idea of the durations.
|Salzburg – Vienna||2h 45|
|Budapest – Vienna||3h|
|Munich – Budapest||6h 30|
|Vienna – Zurich||8h|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
A large range of services are available in stations including taxis, car rental, luggage storage facilities, shops, tourist information and assistance with your ongoing journey. 1st class passengers can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Premium||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
- A. Discounted Senior rates for travelers 60 and older are available on the following passes: Balkan Flexipass-1st class BritRail Consecutive and Flexipass 1st class, BritRail England Consecutive and Flexipass 1st Class France Rail Pass, 1st Class Eurail Ireland Pass - 2nd Class Eurail Romania Pass - 1st class
- A. Yes, depending on the country you are traveling in. Generally there are local trains that travel the same route as high-speed trains, however they generally take much longer to travel the same route. You will need to weigh the cost of a reservation compared with the time it will take to travel the same route. Example: Lyon to Marseille is generally about 1 hour 45 minutes on the TGV. A local train for this same route would be about 3 and half hours.
- A. Simply enter 1 passenger on the request page. The results page will display 1-3 passenger rooms depending on what is available. When booking a room that has more than one bed, the compartment is shared.
- A. Special amenities for disabled travelers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.). Special equipment is also available for use by handicapped passengers. This equipment must be reserved locally in advance. Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
- A. Heathrow Express arrives in London's Paddington Station.
- A. You can request 2 passengers in a double compartment. If there are no Double compartments available, you can then book a shared T3 but keep in mind, the third bed will be occupied by another passenger.
answered | Posted by ALEXANDER D. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/08/2015
answered | Posted by supratim d. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/08/2015
answered | Posted by Carolyn T. | Comments 4 | Created: 26/07/2015
Need help to book eurorail booking for my itinerary. can you tell me how much it will cost and whether i should also buy a pass or (...)2nd sept : flight to rome 3rd sept : arrive at rome early morning before 7. sightseeing 4th sept : sightseeing 5th: rome to capri. (...)
answered | Posted by ashwin j. | Comments 0 | Created: 22/07/2015
answered | Posted by William S. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/07/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
"Salzburg Linz"Araceli d.
Very good trip Value for money Convenience
"Nice travel experience "Sunsanee k. 14/05/2015
The train is new, clean and comfortable but delay a bit. For the reservation, the website does not allow us to choose the departing station in Budapest. We would rather leave at Keleti station not Kelenfoe as shown in the ticket so I asked the customer service in Singapore as I booked via raileurope.co.th and they recommend us to take a metro to Kelenfoe station or go to Keleti station and ask the staff there ourselves. We don't find the answers very helpful so we contacted Customer Care at Rail Europe and received very clear answer from Mike that departing from either station in Budapest is fine. Value for money Convenience
"Travelled on 5Apr2015"Wai Ming p. 15/04/2015
Comfortable Value for money Convenience
"Excellent Service"Maria Mercedes l. 15/04/2015
I live in Puerto Rico and I bought the tickets via internet. I received them in two days. Very good experience in the train. Value for money Convenience
"Convenient, comfortable way to"David w. 13/04/2015
We arrived at the station in Budapest and a porter approached us immediately and asked where we were travelling and if we had our tickets and a reservation. We showed him our tickets and he loaded our bags, took us right to our carriage and transferred all our luggage on to the train. The train was on time and everything was smooth. Value for money Convenience
"Easy and Comfort "David w. 30/01/2015
It was a very smooth and comfortable ride from Zurich to Salzburg. I truly enjoyed the ride on the train overlooking the views of the alps and fields.
"Budapest to Wien trip"David w. 23/01/2015
very good experience.No issues
"Only one negative"Vincent r. 20/01/2015
Entire experience was very good. My only issue was that I didn't have the option to email tickets to the USA or print at home. I was forced to pay 12€ to ship paper tickets to my home. In today's age, this is absurd. Nothing bad to say otherwise. Value for money Convenience
"Awful experience"Lianne h. 17/01/2015
The train was so full that the corridors were blocked with people standing as well as suitcases in the aisle. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Reservations are not permitted when booking from South Africa - we tried for the other rail journeys upon arrival at the station. It's not suitable to have 2 adults in their 70's (one who suffers from vertigo and another who has had a hip replacement) as well as a 11 year old and 5 year. Awful experience. Value for money Convenience
"Terrible Journey"Lisa f. 14/01/2015
We booked our tickets from Budapest to Vienna in January 2015 using the so-called RailEurope online service. We had to pay an extra 18 EUR for the tickets to be printed out and shipped to us in Germany from - wait for it - Mumbai, India! Furthermore, we could not reserve seats online and we had to pay Student fare for our 12 year old son. Once the got on the train, quell surprise, the train was packed and we had to stand in the crowded aisles for the whole 2 1/2 hour journey from Budapest to Vienna. Our tickets were never checked and we could and should have travelled on that train for free. I would never recommend booking train fares online with RailEurope to anyone. Just turn up at the local train station ahead of time and buy your fares there. The local train station are the only service that can let you know if you can reserve seats anyway. What a travesty. 0 points to you for the worst train experience I have ever had. Value for money Convenience
"Family return trip to Innsbruc"Trevor p. 14/01/2015
Our family of 4 really enjoyedthe return train trip from Vienna to Innsbruck. The only concern I had was that the seats allocated should have been 4 seats facing one another with the table in between. I also found it difficult to find contact details to make seat allocation changes. The trip itself was great! Thank you Trevor Value for money Convenience
"easy to plan"Dimitrios b. 12/01/2015
easy Value for money Convenience
"Need more space for luggage "Dimitrios b. 07/01/2015
You definitely need a reservation when travelling on this train. Otherwise standing could be the option. There is no luggage storage space even in first class which is stressful. First class carriage not grand or special.
"CLEAN AND EXPENSIVE"Elissavet s. 04/01/2015
Everything was very good except three things : First the toilet was not so clean and had a bad smell. Second and very important if you wanted to drink some coffee Or water , they where very expensive so I didn't buy anything Due it was very expensive. Third and last , I couldn't charge by mobile telephone due to the voltage of the Train was 230V! Except the above two things all the rest was very good. Thank you Value for money Convenience
"Excellent"Patricio m. 24/12/2014
Our trip from Salzburg to Vienna was an unexpected pleasure. The service was prompt and timely while the compartments comfortable, clean and elegant. The contrast with train travel in the US could not be greater. When will the moral that investing in infrastructure enhances the quality of life of the population as a whole ever be recognized? Value for money Convenience