Railjet - Austria and beyond
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern, perhaps even futuristic Railjet trains are the new high-speed service from the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They operate at speeds of up to 230 km/h (143mph). The Railjet trains have carriages which as comfortable as luxurious. With modern equipment and generous compartment space, the Railjet guarantees a unique travel experience. The Railjet train snakes through the splendid Bavarian countryside as you approach the Alps. It winds by rivers and past farmland and wind turbines, offering truly breathtaking scenery throughout Austria.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich, here’s an idea of the durations.
|Salzburg – Vienna||2h 45|
|Budapest – Vienna||3h|
|Munich – Budapest||6h 30|
|Vienna – Zurich||8h|
|Langen Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:12||€ 50|
|Zurich||St Anton Am Arlberg||02:19||€ 53|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
A large range of services are available in stations including taxis, car rental, luggage storage facilities, shops, tourist information and assistance with your ongoing journey. 1st class passengers can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
|First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Reservation is only compulsory for ICE Trains called ICE Sprinter as these trains have special services such as a meal and newspaper. Here is the list: Hamburg HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Frankfurt HBF- Berlin HBF, Berlin HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Hamburg HBF – Koeln HBF and Koeln HBF – Hamburg HBF. Passes valid to travel within Germany cover Eurail Global and Select Passes including Germany / Eurail Germany-Benelux Pass / Eurail Germany-Denmark Pass / Eurail Germany-France / German Rail Pass.
Q. How do I file a request to receive reimbursement through the Rail Protection Plan if there has been loss or theft ?A. Pass/ticket holders must file a police report within twenty-four (24) hours of the incident. Pass/ticket holders may purchase a replacement rail pass or rail tickets in order to continue with his/her travel plans. Upon return to your country, pass/tickets holder must submit a request to Rail Europe within thirty (30) days including a police report, replacement passes or tickets purchased abroad, airline tickets to/from Europe. A brief explanation of the situation is also necessary to better evaluate the traveler request form.
- A. In Comfort1 (First class), drinks and meal are included in the price of your Thalys ticket and served at your seat. Meal includes a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, but also bread and dessert. In Thalys Comfort 2 (second class), you will get access to a bar-buffet car which offers a variety of food and refreshments.
- A. A Swiss pass enables you to travel free of charge in the Swiss public transport services whereas a "point to point" ticket is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations.
- A. You can print your tickets from the convenience of your home or you can retrieve them from self-service machines in London St Pancras, Brussels Midi or Paris Nord station before boarding your Eurostar train.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. Children 4 and under who do not need a bed travel free and do not require a sleeper reservation or a ticket. If the child is between the ages of 4 - 11 or is under 4 but will require a separate bed, then a special child's fare will apply.
- A. 1st Class seats often recline, there are fewer seats per car, and there is more space for luggage. On some high-speed trains, the price of a 1st Class ticket includes a meal. 1st class is generally quieter with more business and adult passengers. 2nd Class accommodations are less expensive, but not as spacious, as there are more seats per car. For trips over 2 hours we recommend that you book 1st class.
- A. On-board Eurostar, you are allowed two medium-sized cases (85cm at their longest length), and one piece of hand luggage per passenger. Any luggage over the allowance will be counted as excess luggage and will incur a fee. This will be arranged at the Eurostar terminal on your arrival.
answered | Posted by Eva R. | Comments 2 | Created: 15/08/2016
answered | Posted by Yogendra B. | Comments 2 | Created: 21/07/2016
Austria - slovenia (4 person) vienna - bled jezero - salzburg - hallstatt - vienna which rail passes package?Hi, Rail Europe. I have asked for question to here one time before but i still don't clear for answer before. And my travel date (...)
answered | Posted by Ekachai D. | Comments 1 | Created: 16/07/2016
Travel from vienna , salzburg, innsbruck,munich , paris and amsterdam this october pls advice best travel pass for a (...)hi, we are couple wants to travel to Vienna, Salzburg,Innsbruck,Munich,paris and amsterdam during this October 2016(13days trip) (...)
answered | Posted by kamalakar t. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/07/2016
answered | Posted by Theresa T. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/07/2016
Reviews & ratings Railjet - Austria and beyond
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "comfortable scenic travel" George t. 21/08/2016
Would help to have information with the tickets re: availability of restaurant car for each leg (there was none on the 2nd leg) exact location of the initial train station The change of trains at Villach was very short. So, as it was between separate platforms, it was not friendly to the old or less mobile. Also, the information given by loud speaker on the train was no easy to understand, and no immediate information was given on the arrival platform that was easy to access for those not used to the local signs and systems. Value for money Convenience
- "Pleasant journey all round" Joseph f. 12/08/2016
Travelled first class which certainly looked a lot more comfortable than second class. Table service was sometimes difficult to get hold off but the 'happy hour' menu initiative did make it feel much more affordable and privileged based on seats. On the value for money side, we had to choose flexible ticket via Rail Europe as the OBB website with non-flexible offerings wasn't working at payment stage. Could have saved a lot by buying direct if this wasn't the case as we didn't need the flexibility offered. Take things to do on this journey - the 4 hours is longer than you'd like to think with not much scenery to enjoy. No border control anywhere on the trip so you can keep passport safe without fear. Value for money Convenience
- "Clean and Easy" Pek Wan c. 31/07/2016
Clean and Easy. However, Rail jet did not give us 1 4 seats, it would have been better. Value for money Convenience
- "Need for speed" Novy f. 31/07/2016
The trip was nice and comfortable. The trains were very punctual. The only thing that i would suggest is to provide the tickets online as in i booked the tickets online and had to go to a travel agent here to collect the tickets. Now for that i had to travel and also incur a cost which is not a thing to do in this world of getting everything online. So kindly improve this and you guys are excellent. Value for money Convenience
- "Convenient stations" Roy b. 31/07/2016
I requested a journey from Budapest MAIN STATION (HBF) to Vienna MAIN STATION (HBF). Instead I was sent tickets for a station some 15 minutes from Budapest Main Station, which meant I had to pay a lot more for the taxi from my hotel to the station, and the station in Vienna was at least 15 minutes PAST Vienna's HB. I would have thought that you would normally issue tickets from Main Stations, not from secondary stations further down the line. Value for money Convenience
- "pleasant " Matthys b. 29/07/2016
My wife and I travelled through Europe during the summer and we used your train services twice - once from Zurich to Vienna and then again from Vienna to Prague and both times we had a really good trip! The staff on the train were very friendly and helpful. Thank you and I look forward in traveling with your company again. Value for money Convenience
- "Impressed" Matthys b. 26/07/2016
My wife and I had a very good and positive experience form using this train service. The trip was very comfortable – the only inconvenience was the fact that we could not really use the Wi-Fi – I think if the train is full, too many people are using the network and it is close to impossible to get connected. But that is something small and did not play a negative role in our very pleasant journey. I also found the people in the restaurant area to be very friendly and helpful at all times. Thank you for making that part of our trip through Europe so pleasant and memorable. Matthys Bekker Value for money Convenience
- "train to Sazlburg" Israel b. 25/07/2016
we had comfort jerny with plasent ride. for us as guests lack of signs writen in other language like English , could make it easier on us. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice journey" Sarang c. 24/07/2016
It was a nice pleasent journey! Value for money Convenience
- "Great journey " . 24/07/2016
Very smooth and helpful staff
- "Prague to Vienna" Barry r. 22/07/2016
Prague Hlavni Station a Little Chaotic . Very little time being informed of Platform departure. And Layout. Value for money Convenience
- "Rountrip Vienna to Salzburg" . 19/07/2016
From Vienna to Salzburg HBFthe trip was very good.Unfortunately, the return trip had a delay of approximately 1 hour. I was very disappointed.
- "Nice experience" Gabriel k. 16/07/2016
It was an enjoyable ride. We have enjoyed it. Service was great. Value for money Convenience
- "very good experience" Deepak a. 06/07/2016
It was a very good experience. The trains were on time and very comfortable. The staff was very nice and extremely helpful. Value for money Convenience
- "Prague to Vienna " Tess m. 21/06/2016
Very pleasant train journey. The train was very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed our trip. Value for money