Railjet - Austria and beyond
Great deals to tour Europe!
Get up to € 60 off your booking and enjoy summer in Europe!
Discover iconic cities such as Paris, London and Rome.
Find a Train Ticket
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (65)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern, perhaps even futuristic Railjet trains are the new high-speed service from the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They operate at speeds of up to 230 km/h (143mph). The Railjet trains have carriages which as comfortable as luxurious. With modern equipment and generous compartment space, the Railjet guarantees a unique travel experience. The Railjet train snakes through the splendid Bavarian countryside as you approach the Alps. It winds by rivers and past farmland and wind turbines, offering truly breathtaking scenery throughout Austria.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich, here’s an idea of the durations.
|Salzburg – Vienna||2h 45|
|Budapest – Vienna||3h|
|Munich – Budapest||6h 30|
|Vienna – Zurich||8h|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
A large range of services are available in stations including taxis, car rental, luggage storage facilities, shops, tourist information and assistance with your ongoing journey. 1st class passengers can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Premium||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You will be able to book a Thalys ticket 90 days in advance.
- A. Depending on where you are traveling, there are two different rules regarding overnight travel. Some trains allow travelers departing after 7 PM to mark only the following day on the pass, meaning that only one travel day will be used. However, other trains will require that this travel use 2 days on your pass. It is recommended that you check the rules included in the ticket jacket included with your pass for more specific information.
- A. You can make reservations to travel on TGV Lyria trains up to 3 months before your travel date. To take advantage of the best fares, always try to buy your ticket as early as possible. And when buying your TGV Lyria tickets, check what exchange and refund conditions apply. Your fare type will be clearly stated on your ticket.
Q. On Eurostar, what are the differences between the Business Premier, Leisure Select, and Standard Classes of service?A. Business Premier class is dedicated to serving the business traveler with its superior service. Business travelers can expect a nonsmoking car, fast lane check-in, use of the Executive Lounges, breakfast or a 3-course lunch or dinner with choice of entrée and wine, complimentary drink, newspapers, Wifi access in the terminal and lap top sockets on board the train. Leisure Select tickets provide complimentary food (including a 3-course dinner), beverages, and newspapers while you relax in your reclining seat. Full Fare tickets gives you access to the Eurostar Lounge. Standard Class offers comfort, convenience, and value. Enjoy the bar car, or purchase snacks and refreshments from the trolley cart when it comes to your seat.
- A. Bookings for a Frecciarossa trains can be made up to 4 months before you depart.
- A. No, there are no student discounts. Discounts are offered to youth travelers instead. A youth traveler is any traveler who is 25 years of age or younger.
- A. Toilets are easily accessible on all the trains and are usually marked with the letters WC. Toilets can usually be found at the front or back of each train car (also known as a coach), and will include a sink, toilet and a locking door.
- A. Some passes may be purchased in Europe at a higher cost. It is best to place your order before you departure to ensure that you have your paper documents in hand.
- A. Train stations in Europe are very traveler friendly. Once arriving to the station there are large Departure and Arrival Boards located in the center of the most stations. Match the train number and departure time on your reservation / ticket to the train number listed on the departure board. Once you have found your train on the Departure Board, you will find a platform number where your train will be departing from. Upon arriving to your platform and you will notice that each car (also known as a coach) number on the train is clearly indicated on the side of each coach. Check your reservation / ticket for your car/coach number. You notice the class of service will also be listed in addition to the car/coach number on the side of the train. Once onboard the train, you will find that similar to an airplane each seat is clearly labeled with a number. Match the seat number on your reservation / ticket number to seat number in the train car / coach. Train stations in Europe have international pictograms that are easy to understand and are used in international airports. These pictograms will assist you once you arrive to the station. If you still have difficulty in finding your train, the stations staff can always help point you in the right direction.
- A. You can request 2 double compartments or a T4 if this type of accommodation is offered on the train you wish to travel on.
Need help to book eurorail booking for my itinerary. can you tell me how much it will cost and whether i should also buy a pass or (...)2nd sept : flight to rome 3rd sept : arrive at rome early morning before 7. sightseeing 4th sept : sightseeing 5th: rome to capri. (...)
answered | Posted by ashwin j. | Comments 0 | Created: 22/07/2015
answered | Posted by William S. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/07/2015
answered | Posted by Jasmine S. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/06/2015
answered | Posted by Naveen G. | Comments 0 | Created: 21/06/2015
answered | Posted by Maria M. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/06/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
"Salzburg Linz"Araceli d.
Very good trip Value for money Convenience
"Nice travel experience "Sunsanee k. 14/05/2015
The train is new, clean and comfortable but delay a bit. For the reservation, the website does not allow us to choose the departing station in Budapest. We would rather leave at Keleti station not Kelenfoe as shown in the ticket so I asked the customer service in Singapore as I booked via raileurope.co.th and they recommend us to take a metro to Kelenfoe station or go to Keleti station and ask the staff there ourselves. We don't find the answers very helpful so we contacted Customer Care at Rail Europe and received very clear answer from Mike that departing from either station in Budapest is fine. Value for money Convenience
"Travelled on 5Apr2015"Wai Ming p. 15/04/2015
Comfortable Value for money Convenience
"Excellent Service"Maria Mercedes l. 15/04/2015
I live in Puerto Rico and I bought the tickets via internet. I received them in two days. Very good experience in the train. Value for money Convenience
"Convenient, comfortable way to"David w. 13/04/2015
We arrived at the station in Budapest and a porter approached us immediately and asked where we were travelling and if we had our tickets and a reservation. We showed him our tickets and he loaded our bags, took us right to our carriage and transferred all our luggage on to the train. The train was on time and everything was smooth. Value for money Convenience
"Easy and Comfort "David w. 30/01/2015
It was a very smooth and comfortable ride from Zurich to Salzburg. I truly enjoyed the ride on the train overlooking the views of the alps and fields.
"Budapest to Wien trip"David w. 23/01/2015
very good experience.No issues
"Only one negative"Vincent r. 20/01/2015
Entire experience was very good. My only issue was that I didn't have the option to email tickets to the USA or print at home. I was forced to pay 12€ to ship paper tickets to my home. In today's age, this is absurd. Nothing bad to say otherwise. Value for money Convenience
"Awful experience"Lianne h. 17/01/2015
The train was so full that the corridors were blocked with people standing as well as suitcases in the aisle. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Reservations are not permitted when booking from South Africa - we tried for the other rail journeys upon arrival at the station. It's not suitable to have 2 adults in their 70's (one who suffers from vertigo and another who has had a hip replacement) as well as a 11 year old and 5 year. Awful experience. Value for money Convenience
"Terrible Journey"Lisa f. 14/01/2015
We booked our tickets from Budapest to Vienna in January 2015 using the so-called RailEurope online service. We had to pay an extra 18 EUR for the tickets to be printed out and shipped to us in Germany from - wait for it - Mumbai, India! Furthermore, we could not reserve seats online and we had to pay Student fare for our 12 year old son. Once the got on the train, quell surprise, the train was packed and we had to stand in the crowded aisles for the whole 2 1/2 hour journey from Budapest to Vienna. Our tickets were never checked and we could and should have travelled on that train for free. I would never recommend booking train fares online with RailEurope to anyone. Just turn up at the local train station ahead of time and buy your fares there. The local train station are the only service that can let you know if you can reserve seats anyway. What a travesty. 0 points to you for the worst train experience I have ever had. Value for money Convenience
"Family return trip to Innsbruc"Trevor p. 14/01/2015
Our family of 4 really enjoyedthe return train trip from Vienna to Innsbruck. The only concern I had was that the seats allocated should have been 4 seats facing one another with the table in between. I also found it difficult to find contact details to make seat allocation changes. The trip itself was great! Thank you Trevor Value for money Convenience
"easy to plan"Dimitrios b. 12/01/2015
easy Value for money Convenience
"Need more space for luggage "Dimitrios b. 07/01/2015
You definitely need a reservation when travelling on this train. Otherwise standing could be the option. There is no luggage storage space even in first class which is stressful. First class carriage not grand or special.
"CLEAN AND EXPENSIVE"Elissavet s. 04/01/2015
Everything was very good except three things : First the toilet was not so clean and had a bad smell. Second and very important if you wanted to drink some coffee Or water , they where very expensive so I didn't buy anything Due it was very expensive. Third and last , I couldn't charge by mobile telephone due to the voltage of the Train was 230V! Except the above two things all the rest was very good. Thank you Value for money Convenience
"Excellent"Patricio m. 24/12/2014
Our trip from Salzburg to Vienna was an unexpected pleasure. The service was prompt and timely while the compartments comfortable, clean and elegant. The contrast with train travel in the US could not be greater. When will the moral that investing in infrastructure enhances the quality of life of the population as a whole ever be recognized? Value for money Convenience