Railjet - Austria and beyond
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern, perhaps even futuristic Railjet trains are the new high-speed service from the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They operate at speeds of up to 230 km/h (143mph). The Railjet trains have carriages which as comfortable as luxurious. With modern equipment and generous compartment space, the Railjet guarantees a unique travel experience. The Railjet train snakes through the splendid Bavarian countryside as you approach the Alps. It winds by rivers and past farmland and wind turbines, offering truly breathtaking scenery throughout Austria.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich, here’s an idea of the durations.
|Salzburg – Vienna||2h 45|
|Budapest – Vienna||3h|
|Munich – Budapest||6h 30|
|Vienna – Zurich||8h|
|Langen Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:12||€ 50|
|St Anton Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:22||€ 53|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
A large range of services are available in stations including taxis, car rental, luggage storage facilities, shops, tourist information and assistance with your ongoing journey. 1st class passengers can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
|First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Travel from London - Paris/Brussels and most of the train stations in between these 2 routes. For more detailed information on how to use a Eurostar self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at Eurostar train stations ?
- A. You can request 2 double compartments or a T4 if this type of accommodation is offered on the train you wish to travel on.
Q. When I select the box that says I have a pass I am not receiving any schedules, but when I do not select the box that says I have a pass I receive schedules. Why can't I book a reservation with a Pass?A. The train you are requesting does not offer reservations. Please note the train time for your travel information. To board this train you will need your pass and can take any available seat.
- A. To begin using your pass, go to the ticket window at the rail station before boarding your first train and have a railroad official enter the first and last day of the validity on your pass. The railroad official will also stamp your pass and you will have to show your passport.
- A. There are a few passes that offer a discount for families. The Swiss passes offer the Swiss family card. This card provides free travel for children 6 to15 when traveling with a parent or guardian. The BritRail family pass offers a free child from 5 to 15 with each full fare adult or senior pass. The Great British Heritage family pass is available for 2 adults and up to 3 children. Many passes offer saver options which can be used for families. Children ages 4-11 will be half of the adult fare on the saver pass.
- A. From Germany, several cities in bordering countries can be reached. The Intercity Express (ICE) goes to Brussels, the DB Expressbus to Prague, the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Kufstein and Innsbruck and the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Bolzzano/Bozen, Verona, Bologna and Venice.
- A. If you board a direct overnight train that departs after 7:00pm, then you use only 1 day on your pass. However, when marking the day of use for that train, be sure to mark the next day's date. If your overnight train requires a train change before midnight, then you will use 2 travel days.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. No. A ticket allows you to board the train, but does not guarantee you a seat. You must make a seat reservation to have a guaranteed seat on the train. NOTE: On certain trains tickets and reservations are sold together as one ticket.
Q. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the Thalys (Paris to Brussels and Amsterdam)?A. First class on the Thalys offers large comfortable reclining seats and drinks and a light snack served at your seat. Second class on the Thalys offers generous legroom and a selection of drinks and snacks at your seat that are available for purchase.
answered | Posted by suganya j. | Comments 0 | Created: 03/02/2016
answered | Posted by shahid r. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
We will be traveling from berlin to prague to vienna to venice to florence to rome. do you recommend getting a rail (...)Is a rail pass worth it? We will be doing this within a 2 week span. Are there student discounts?
answered | Posted by Rachel H. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/01/2016
answered | Posted by Charlotte U. | Comments 0 | Created: 04/01/2016
What is the most economic way to travel from berlin to nuremburg to munich to salzburg then back to berlin? does the german rail (...)I am planning my 12-day trip in Germany in end Dec, from Berlin to Nurnberg, to munich, salzburg, back to munich and Berlin. Can (...)
answered | Posted by Veronica T. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/11/2015
Reviews & ratings Railjet - Austria and beyond
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "Good way to travel around" Romklao c. 09/01/2016
Pros: Overall It was a good ride. Clean nice seats and toilets. Good breakfast provided for extra charge. Almost always on time. Cons: It train was almost full and so crowded. Not enough space to keep my luggage. I had to keep my luggage in one car and sat in a different car. It'd be great if they can provide free wifi on trains. Value for money Convenience
- "Switzerland " David c. 08/01/2016
It was one of the most memorable trip of my life so far, the scenaries are magnificent. Travelling in Europe is simple when planning ahead. Value for money Convenience
- "Train is the way to go!" Jean n. 06/01/2016
On our family vacation, we booked open tickets from Vienna to Salzburg. When we were ready to leave Vienna, we had our choice of daily and hourly departures for Salzburg. The train, though crowded, had sitting room for all of us and storage space for our many bags. The journey was quick, clean, and comfortable. The scenery was beautiful as well. I especially liked being able to make the reservations in advance from home - I signed up to receive an email as soon as the dates for the tickets opened up, and booking couldn't have been easier. Value for money Convenience
- "nice way to travel" Filipe s. 18/12/2015
they send the tickets home to avoid misunderstandings which was a big relief. the travel was fast and comfortable. nice option to a flight. Value for money Convenience
- "Wien to innsbruck" Sharifah Shahidah a. 17/12/2015
There was wifi. Plenty of legroom too. We had an open ticket. Sufficient seats around. Value for money Convenience
- "Austria to Zuerich" Pad Yong g. 15/12/2015
Easy to locate the platforms and the seats were comfortable. However, we were long distance travellers from Singapore with a family of five and had a bit of difficulty finding space for our large luggages during our travel from Salzburg to Zuerich. Value for money Convenience
- "Winter Getaway!" Camille d. 26/11/2015
I r4ecently travelled from Budapest to Vienna with my dad on holiday. We were looking for a quick, convenient, reasonably priced way of travelling. Railjet provided us with this option. The railway station was in walking distance, the ride very smooth and comfortable. The food was a little pricy on-board so it is better to bring your own snacks. Overall great experience! Value for money Convenience
- "Wien to Budapest" John p. 24/11/2015
I truly enjoyed the privacy and comfort of the cabin. It was like from the movies. I will recommend. The hardest part was arriving. I was not at the main train station (near my hotel as I had planned) but people within the station were very helpful in getting me to where I needed to be. Value for money Convenience
- "Great way to travel in Europe" Mew Yong t. 14/10/2015
Comfortable seats, clean toilet and a great way to travel in Europe. Scenic view along the way, which made travelling enjoyable. Information is displayed at strategic spots so you can track your journey. Announcement is made at each station so you wont miss your destination. Value for money Convenience
- "Great" Kin Wai w. 13/10/2015
Comfortable. Little bit more room for luggage even will be better. People carry lot of stuff with them these days :-) Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful Sites" Tracy z. 08/10/2015
Amazing countryside views, sit back and enjoy the sites in comfort. Value for money Convenience
- "First time rail travellers" Tracy z. 08/10/2015
A wonderful way to travel! You see the countryside in a comfy seat and leave the worries behind. Would recommend to anyone travelling. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable, uneventful" Matthew c. 06/10/2015
Very comfortable trip from Vienna to Salzburg. Cleaning was modern, clean and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "Wow ! Fantastic travel" Sachin s. 29/09/2015
Fantastic experience, my first travel from Prague to Vienna. Would recommend this trip for everyone, cannot praise the whole experience enough. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice Trip" Patrick m. 07/09/2015
I had a nice trip. Convenience