Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:30
- Prices from € 47
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Find a point to point ticket
Renfe Spanish high speed trains network
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|Castellon De La Plana||Barcelona||02:21||€ 11|
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||€ 41|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- 04. Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Print @ home||Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.||Printing guide|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√||√||√|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>||√||√||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√||√|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>||√||√|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>||√|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment. Turista class offers good value for money, and you can also easily upgrade to 1st class- Club or Preferente.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
0 | 10
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (2910)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"better than airplain indeed"Boris l.
I haven't travel by train for ages but this trip excited me and all the family very very much. Nice job. Value for money Convenience
"Sweet memory "Azmi h. 15/12/2014
I will travelling again in Europe with you. Value for money Convenience
"Madrid-Barcelona"Adriana p. 09/12/2014
We did not have problems and the trip was good. If we can, we will travel with Refe again. Value for money Convenience
"First class?"David w. 09/12/2014
We went first class and didn't see much difference between it and the other classes besides leather seats. Also the food selection on board was unnecessarily limited and frankly not very nice. Finally first class service in other countries at least includes a complimentary beverage if not an entire meal service where we were offered nothing. Value for money Convenience
"Barcelona Sants to Madrid Puer"Season Shi Sun l. 09/12/2014
Train is fairly new, seat is comfortable, WC is very spacious and clean, view is lovely and I enjoy the ride. Value for money Convenience
"Convenient and right on time"Nurhayati Bt h. 08/12/2014
We decided to take the train rather than drive from Sevilla to Madrid. Buying the tickets on-line was surprisingly easy and we managed to get a good price as we bought them well in advance. The train stations were clean. The train ride itself was comfortable and we actually managed to take a quick nap. We will not hesitate to take a train in Spain in the future. Value for money Convenience
"First time"Anders s. 08/12/2014
Great first journey through Spain in Beautiful vaste landscapes. Good food and beverage. Value for money Convenience
"Nice Experience"Marwan a. 07/12/2014
It was my first trip using Renfe trains, it was nice and I will repeat it again soon. Value for money Convenience
"Terific experience"Zahy-itzhak b. 06/12/2014
This was my first time on a very fast train, and the experience was wonderful. The crew was kind and nice, the train was clean and tidy, and the ride itself was smooth, quick and comfortable. Thank you very much for a terrific experience. I'm planning to travel with once again Rail Europe, very soon. Isaac Burstyn Value for money Convenience
"comfort, easy."Siow Kean l. 06/12/2014
The travel was good. Easy to check in on board. The duration was too long hour from seville to Barcelona. Hopefully there is nonstop train directly to save more time. Value for money Convenience
"On time!"Aiza Fareena a. 06/12/2014
The trip was fun Value for money Convenience
"Comfortable but expensive"Yusuke i. 03/12/2014
Relax and comfortable enough but little expensive. Value for money Convenience
"Gets us from point A to B"Nik Rosnah w. 02/12/2014
Clean toilets The seat allocated to me cannot be adjusted to recline position. The adjuster is broken I feel secure during the trip. Value for money Convenience
"Great Trip!!"Parag s. 02/12/2014
Excellent experience......great adherence to timing......very cooperative staff.......Given a chance,would definitely travel again!! Value for money Convenience
"Madrid to Malaga"Sheldon m. 02/12/2014
The train was good value and quite comfortable. A few stops along the way which made the trip longer than it needed to be. My main criticism was the signage at the Madriid station was inadequate and confusing. It was unclear where to go to catch the high speed trains. There is another area in the same station that provides local train service. Value for money Convenience