PROMO CODE*: 7ESS14 min. order €150
PROMO CODE*: 8ESS14 min. order €300
PROMO CODE*: 9ESS14 min. order €600
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:30
- Prices from € 47
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
Find a point to point ticket
Renfe Spanish high speed trains network
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:25||€ 36|
|Madrid||Santiago De Compostela||05:25||€ 19|
|Jerez De La Frontera||Madrid||03:29||€ 67|
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Print @ home||Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.||Printing guide|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√||√||√|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>||√||√||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√||√|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>||√||√|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>||√|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment. Turista class offers good value for money, and you can also easily upgrade to 1st class- Club or Preferente.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
0 | 10
Travel forumBe the first to ask our experts about Spanish Trains.
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (2910)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"Great Journey"Muhammad Azreen Bin a.
Convenient train, however space for luggage is bit limited Value for money Convenience
"Great Experience"Gabriel c. 30/07/2014
We were amazed by the comfort and speed of the train. It was a great experience, far better than any other trip by train we took in the past in other countries. We will do it again next time! Value for money Convenience
"First Class"Lungtan l. 29/07/2014
very comfortable Value for money Convenience
"Madrid to Malaga to Madrid"David f. 26/07/2014
all very good, but disappointed to find out that I could not take the earlier train to Malaga as my flight arrived early. Value for money Convenience
"Great Trip"Maryam o. 25/07/2014
Had a pleasant trip. It was safe, clean, and comfortable :) Value for money Convenience
"Relaxing and dreaming ..."Marian b. 24/07/2014
Fantastic! Very comfortable, efficient, on time, it was one of the highlights of my trip just listening to classical music and watching the countryside go by! Value for money Convenience
"good!"Changsoo s. 23/07/2014
It was very comfortable and convenience if i go to Spain again ,i 'll definitely get on the renfe!!! Value for money Convenience
"Fabulous service"Elizabeth c. 21/07/2014
No problem at all. Easy to naviage and book. Excellent trains and on time. All round great service. Value for money Convenience
"comfort, on time,no wi-fi"Yanir d. 20/07/2014
The train was on time. Must add Wi-Fi on the train. Value for money Convenience
"Quick easy and convenient."Patricia t. 17/07/2014
Online ticketing was easy. No hassles with airport security and check in. Guaranteed that you arrive with your bags. Same time as flying but much cheaper. Value for money Convenience
"Very comfortable"Theresa t. 17/07/2014
The high speed train was a little pricey, but buy your tickets early and the time saved and comfort will be totally worth it. Value for money Convenience
"Simple"Aaron p. 16/07/2014
Simple ordering and payment. Cost effective price. Clear info and directions. Recommend highly Value for money Convenience
"Easy travel: Barca to Madrid"Atasha j. 16/07/2014
I typically have been using buses to travel between cities in Europe. This works for me because of the price and I can use the bus to sleep on overnight. However, this trip using the speed train to Madrid was super comfortable, way more space than a bus, smooth, and quick. The only downside is the price. I spent 385 euros for unlimited bus travel for the summer, whereas one trip with the train cost 85. Other than that, I loved my efficient travel experience. Value for money Convenience
"Sunday morning ride"David b. 16/07/2014
This was an intermediate, average speed train. Left Siguenza a little late. Just fine for what I needed. Value for money Convenience
"Great trip!"Melissa w. 15/07/2014
Easy to get the tickets, easy to get on the train - everything was easy! Value for money Convenience