Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:30
- Prices from € 47
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
Find a point to point ticket
Renfe Spanish high speed trains network
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Port Bou||Barcelona||02:12||€ 18|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||€ 41|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Print @ home||Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.||Printing guide|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√||√||√|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>||√||√||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√||√|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>||√||√|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>||√|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment. Turista class offers good value for money, and you can also easily upgrade to 1st class- Club or Preferente.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
0 | 10
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (2910)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"VACATION TRIP"Santosh j.
WE ENJOYED THE TRIP, WE HAD BOOKED IN FIRST CLASS, ON-TIME, VERY CONFORTABLE AND VERY FRIENDLY STAFF. THANK YOU.... Value for money
"satisfaction"Avishay s. 23/10/2014
5 stars Value for money Convenience
"it was a good experience"Munirah a. 22/10/2014
we traveled as a family , our trip was very comfortable , very enjoyable , and was a good experience . Value for money Convenience
"Best Train Trip so far"Egor s. 21/10/2014
Been in Different Train Trips around Europe , Best one so far Value for money Convenience
"Convenience"Connie Floriza r. 21/10/2014
Hi, thank you for your survey and i really appreciate that my trip was really monitored. It's was an awesome experience riding for the first time. We're supposed to be two passengers but my friend wasn't able to get the visa. I traveled alone yet safe Value for money Convenience
"enjoy in the train"Lingling c. 21/10/2014
excited , comfortable, super enjoy in the train. Value for money Convenience
"Fab way to travel"Karen c. 19/10/2014
Traveled on the fast train to madrid from valencia. Was a very pleasant way to travel. Would travel this way again. Value for money Convenience
"Mt trip"Mazen a. 19/10/2014
Excellent service Value for money Convenience
"AVE from Barcelona to Madrid"Magnolia Ulan f. 18/10/2014
The train was run for about 20 mins which is rare as one would expect AVE trains to be strictly on time. Once we boarded, everything went smoothly. It was a pleasant journey overall. Value for money Convenience
"Fast, comfortable and punctual"Kamalkant a. 18/10/2014
It is a very comfortable and quick journey. The food service could do with improvement. The coffee was hot really hot and had been made for a long time. I bought and could not drink. Value for money Convenience
"A high speed journey"Lung n. 17/10/2014
To ride on the high-speed train of Eurorail is quite convenient and efficient. Checking of travellers is easy and fast. The train station is well located and well linked with other public transport services. The booking of seats is smooth and efficient. The seat is comfortable and properly equipped. Shaking of the carriage is slight and acceptable during the >280 km/hr. running. The atmosphere of the cabin is transient and tender, as shown in its modern interior decorations and setting. The fare is reasonable and is valued at its pleasant tour service indeed. Value for money Convenience
"Innovations"Rafael c. 17/10/2014
I expected newer and faster trains. Perhaps TV monitors at the back of each seat for passengers' entertainment for long trips with headsets and entertainment channels like the ones on airplanes. The cafe/bar section could be more interesting and offer more choices. Also a sitting area for more comfort while drinking or eating. The look and feel of the cafeteria is not inviting. Value for money Convenience
"Excellent experience"Natasha w. 16/10/2014
So convenient, easy to purchase tickets on line. Clean and comfortable. Good service. I just wished they could have English sub titles on the movie. It was in Spanish with Spanish sub titles! I asked her to change to accommodate visitors to their country but she said she's not allowed... Value for money Convenience
"Good Experience"Safwat a. 16/10/2014
Good Service and Experience Value for money Convenience
" CORDOBA CENTRAL - BARCELONA S"Geoffrey l. 15/10/2014
I had a very pleasant journey. I do not feel tired. It was very comfortable and the seats were nice. There is not enough space to put the luggage. Value for money Convenience