Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:30
- Prices from € 47
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
Find a point to point ticket
Renfe Spanish high speed trains network
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|Barcelona||Miranda De Ebro||04:38||€ 25|
|Port Bou||Barcelona||02:12||€ 18|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|San Sebastian||Barcelona||05:28||€ 25|
|Castellon De La Plana||Barcelona||02:21||€ 11|
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||€ 41|
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Print @ home||Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.||Printing guide|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√||√||√|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>||√||√||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√||√|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>||√||√|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>||√|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment. Turista class offers good value for money, and you can also easily upgrade to 1st class- Club or Preferente.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
0 | 10
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (2910)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"easy first time experience"Carolyn d.
Fast train is not available for this route. It was easy to book and print tickets. No WiFi or proper meals - only light or snacks. Lots of leg space for big people compared to plane. Value for money Convenience
"comfortable, easy, and on time"Mardee s. 25/08/2014
renfe spanish fulfilled our expectations and is what you hope train travel to be Value for money Convenience
"not the last time"Khalid a. 25/08/2014
This trip was one of the 1st train trips that I had between cities , and it was very comfortable that I slept during the trip . Value for money Convenience
"Like the RENFE train"Noraini Binte a. 25/08/2014
Convenience Value for money Convenience
"No troli"Sameh b. 23/08/2014
I was traveling with my family , with lots of luggage once we reached our destination we couldn't find any thing to help us put our bags on , troli or someone to help , and there was only one lift that all people went to . That was the worst part in the trip Value for money Convenience
"Too Small luggage area"Moriaki t. 22/08/2014
It was confort. Only one problem of the luggage space was too small. Many persons were put big luggage on overhead console. I hope improve in this regard. Convenience
"Small luggae space"Moriaki t. 22/08/2014
The train was best confortability, and clean. Only one problem with luggage space which to small. If there is the possible, make space in back of the seat. Convenience
"Comfortable and timely"Dorte d. 20/08/2014
The trip was lovely, good service, on time and great views of the country. The movie was in Spanish, but we entertained ourselves during the trip instead. It was a comfortable ride - the food was ok and the drinks plentyful. Value for money Convenience
"AC Not Working"Gaurav k. 20/08/2014
While returning back from Valencia to Barcelona I was sitting in coach 10. There were around 20 people sitting in that coach. AC was not working. After nearly 2 hours I asked a staff why AC is not working and she said its working in other caoches. I was shocked to hear that, and till 2 hours no one cared to inform us Value for money Convenience
"clean, efficient, comfortable"Kelley h. 20/08/2014
We enjoyed our 3 hour train ride from Madrid to Barcelona. The Atocha station was easy to use and the gardens inside very beautiful. The train was clean, modern, and comfortable. All the staff was very helpful. Value for money Convenience
"Pleasant experience"Valentin c. 19/08/2014
I have experience already with TGV en France last 7 years.Wonderful and easy trip with RENFE in order to visit a famous city Toledo (Old City of Spain). Good schedule (timetable) of the train in order to plan a visit one day (to make a suitable time). In addition - It' s easy tobuy the electronic tickets a few days before by internet banking My trip on July 30.2014 Value for money Convenience
"Pleasant Trip"Salahaddin d. 18/08/2014
The trip was very convenient. I would like to suggest to have more options for the cafeteria; like food and snacks. Also, the places for bags are very limited and all customers struggled to find place for their baggages. I suggest you allocate more space and each car should have its own place. Many thanks and I really enjoyed the trip and my family was very happy. Thanks again Value for money Convenience
"Just ok"Dorothy s. 17/08/2014
It was OK better platform indication. We booked Amsterdam to London but we were ended up rushing as it was separated train company and the transit time was less than 1 hour. If we arrived late at Brussels we couldn't make it to catch the Eurostar to London.
"Good"Oksana b. 17/08/2014
Paid slightly more for the ticket for convenience of having it pre booked but a nice trip Value for money Convenience
"spain trip"Marie b. 14/08/2014
Renfe is just wonderful and it's the best way to travel from a place to another in spain. Value for money Convenience