Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Find a Train Ticket
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (952)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
|Barcelona||Miranda De Ebro||04:38||€ 25|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
answered | Posted by jessica s. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/04/2015
answered | Posted by Joan C. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/04/2015
answered | Posted by Peter B. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/04/2015
answered | Posted by JOHN L. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/04/2015
answered | Posted by Yuval Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/03/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"Nice trip"Isto s.
Fast train, good seats Value for money Convenience
"Great experience!"Patricia m. 15/04/2015
We opted for the upgraded seats and it was worth it. Great trip. Lots of space. I could have stayed on much longer :-) Value for money Convenience
"Travelling in Europe"Mohamed f. 13/04/2015
Train travel is the most conveneint and safest mode of travel within European cities. Though it is some what expensive, the comfort and convenience in travelling with small children is enoumous. One suggestion to improve the service further is that though there are no payment for infants and children below 4 years a ticket is required always (at no cost). However, this fact is not mentioned in any part of the rail-europe website which results in passengers having to go back to ticket counters to get the free ticket on the day of travel. A suggestion is that why not this be allowed to be done through the web-site when booking the ticket for the adults. Value for money Convenience
"renfe ave"Aileen n. 11/04/2015
it was superb. very fast , clean and comfortable seats. It's also good that they have toilets. Although, someone should clean the toilet sometimes. Value for money Convenience
"enjoyable journey "Kondeparambu p. 07/04/2015
We had a very happy and memorable journey from sevilla to Madrid Value for money Convenience
"nice experience "Hamza a. 07/04/2015
though carriying so many bags, but it was very smooth in and out, seats are comfortable , train is clean and smell nice. Value for money Convenience
"Comfortable and Relax Ride!!"Wong k. 06/04/2015
Had a very comfortable and relax ride on Renfe from Madrid to Barcelona, seats and spacious enough for my long legs and arm rest and wide enough. Most importantly is the whole train including the toilet is so clean! Would like to take this train again if there is a chance! Thank you renfe! Value for money Convenience
"Very Good"Wei-fu s. 06/04/2015
Nice trip experence. Value for money Convenience
" "Marie b. 05/04/2015
A perfect train, silent, beautiful landscape outside, perfectly in time Value for money Convenience
"ticket required for "Saman h. 05/04/2015
You need to get ticket for children eve high it's free of charge however you can't do it online then it's confusing and causing problems just before boarding. Also all the space for luggage was taken in the train I wondered where to put our luggage Value for money Convenience
"Multi trip"Stephanie c. 01/04/2015
I traveled around spain using the train system. It was very efficient, convenient, and rarely late. I was highly recommend the trains system. Value for money Convenience
"First time with Sleeper Train"Penny Sylvania p. 01/04/2015
It's my first time to Europe and decided to Lisboa by train from Madrid. When i booked the ticket, i've no idea if i would get the sleeper one. It was really nice, i slept well. Toothpaste, brush teeth, aqua even provided by renfe. The departure and arrival time was also on time and the man from the train who checked my ticket also remind me. It's a nice trip after all. Value for money Convenience
"Smooth travel"Sangeeta Sameer b. 31/03/2015
Some Renfe non-refundable tickets become available at a heavily discounted price about 60 days before travel date. I availed of this price through rail-europe and traveled most comfortably at a very low price. Value for money Convenience
"Easy and fast. "Adam d. 31/03/2015
My first time traveling by rail in Europe. The trip was fast and easy. Seats were comfy and the stations were no problem to navigate. I booked late and only first class seats were available, but the price difference wasn't bad and the extra room was nice. Looking forward to my next rail trip. Value for money Convenience
"Rail europe"Rosa m. 30/03/2015
Good experience, good service Value for money Convenience