Find a Train Ticket
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (952)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2014
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
answered | Posted by Ralph B. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/11/2015
answered | Posted by Ibrahim G. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/11/2015
answered | Posted by Elizabeth T. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/07/2015
answered | Posted by Saw M. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/07/2015
answered | Posted by devanshi b. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/07/2015
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"An Unexpected Journey"Anquanette g. 16/11/2015
I booked my train ticket from Granada to Seville and I was surprised to learn that I would be traveling by bus. At no time was I informed that the trip would be in 2 parts due to construction happening on Granada's train rail. This information needs to be explicitly described when booking in both English Convenience
"Erkan Otag’s experience". 16/11/2015
"Train Madrid Malaga return". 16/11/2015
We took another train journey from Madrid to Malaga and return and I have to say it is the most comfortable way to travel. We find the service clean, punctual and above all the staff friendly. We would recommend this to flying or driving.
"Great journey"Malgorzata s. 16/11/2015
The train was clean an comfortable, a little bit late but not too much. The staff very helpfull. Very nice and relaxing trip. Convenience
"Perfect Ride"Chi Sing c. 16/11/2015
fast, comfortable and departed on time. had a good sleep on train. Convenience
"Spanish holidays"Yenn Chien c. 16/11/2015
The ride between Madrid and Barcelona was smooth and comfortable. Its easy to find the platform and coach. The train in clean and comfortable. We found it was the most convenient way to travel between the two cities. Convenience
"Fast ". 15/11/2015
It was our family first time travel in Europe by train as we usual drove wherever convenience. This high speed train was very impressive of its comfort, steady and speedy. We were surprised to the hospitality, food, drink offered, and have to say thank you to those assistants although one of them was not very friendly when I asked for a sparkling wine. The other lady was pleased to send me the drink when I requested again. Overall was V Good.
"Luggage"Mahmoud s. 11/11/2015
More space for luggage is required. Convenience
"Madrid Atocha Barcelona". 03/11/2015
The website does not clearly indicate whether the booking is for sleeper or sitting (Chair car). I booked the chair car by mistake. I wanted to book the sleeper as the train was an overnight train taking 10 hours. So, when I reached the station and was told that my ticket was for chair I was quite taken aback. The website should clearly spell out the options available.
"it was a good experience "Deepak p. 02/11/2015
one small suggestion, when the tickets been booked we need to get the train tickets directly to the mailing address. instead of downloading the tickets going through many option. bit confusing. Convenience
"Trip from Madrid to Barcelona"Marieta Celia f. 01/11/2015
Had a wonderful train ride. Journey was only 2-1/2 hours, no waiting time at the airport and train stations are within the city. No more long in-land traveling time. Convenience
"Buisnies trip". 31/10/2015
Very comfortable and pleasant journey , The only problem was that we couldn't make reservation for return tickets by internet Tickets were expensive because we had to buy tickets for one way trip. Generally satisfied with service in train.
"Nice way to travel "William s. 30/10/2015
Wow nice train - 1st class car was great. Convenience
"Flawless!"Edward s. 30/10/2015
We took 3 train trips in Spain, and all went off without a hitch. I bought the tickets online months in advance and printed our boarding passes at home. We walked right on the trains and took our assigned seats. Nothing easier or convenient than that! Convenience