Renfe Spanish high speed trainsSpain : RENFE
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|Castellon De La Plana||Barcelona||02:21||€ 11|
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||€ 41|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|San Sebastian||Barcelona||05:28||€ 25|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
- Children under 4 years old can travel free on board Renfe trains if they do not require an extra seat. Make sure to retrieve your free infant ticket at the train station before boarding.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
answered | Posted by Shoroug I. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/08/2016
answered | Posted by Little_Koala | Comments 0 | Created: 13/02/2016
answered | Posted by Wilfred C. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Margaret M. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
answered | Posted by evan s. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "Not cheap, but a good trip." Dror l. 21/08/2016
Not cheap, but a good trip. Convenience
- "Trip" . 20/08/2016
Unfortunately I was unable to travel to Spain due to inability to submit my papers for visa on time. Therefore I was ubable to use any of the tickets I bought.
- "excellent" . 17/08/2016
- "comfortable and punctual" Yik Yan c. 16/08/2016
comfortable seats and with punctual time! Convenience
- "Good Experience" . 16/08/2016
very nice and comfortable journey.
- "BARCELONA SANTS - SAN SEBASTIA" Suresh m. 15/08/2016
Good experience, the train was late though. Convenience
- "HST 1st time" Miroslav s. 13/08/2016
Pity, that you can not even use your speed trains, due to unsatisfactory rails. 400 km in five hours is a long time. AVE Madrid Valencia at 300 km / h was a great trip. Almost as Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, China. Convenience
- "Ride Madrid to Toleo" Micheline l. 12/08/2016
Train was comfortable, on time. All was very very good.Also good price for go and return. I bought two places from Paris by internet and it was very easy. Convenience
- "five star travel" . 11/08/2016
Easy and comfortable from Malaga to Barcelona and return. Booking was easy and would definitely use again.
- "Great way of travelling" Maria h. 10/08/2016
Clean train, on-time, friendly staff Convenience
- "Barcelona to Madrid rail" Casey a. 10/08/2016
Very nice train, lunch entree was not good.Service was available at the last hour of the trip. I found a bar in a train car and bought water before the trip began because no service was available for first hour. Convenience
- "Need more luggage space!" Hanani f. 10/08/2016
Our group booked first class tickets from Barcelona to Burgos, thank goodness we did since it was a 6hour train ride! the seats were fine and spacious...however it was so difficult finding luggage space and we had to put our big heavy suitcases at the top shelf above the seats. Good thing we were a group so that we can help carry the suitcases. I just hope there were more easy luggage space on the trains to make peoples journey via train so much more convenient. Convenience
- "Scenic ride" John b. 08/08/2016
Convenient trouble free way of getting from Ronda to Algeciras. Convenience
- "Spain Holiday" Ranjit Mohan m. 08/08/2016
Very good experience traveling by trains in Spain. The online booking was very easy and user friendly. The trains were clean and very comfortable and on-time. Convenience
- "Very Impressive" Barry n. 08/08/2016
We were very impressed with the Spanish rail service - fast comfortable and punctual. Well done! Convenience