Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
|Murcia Del Carmen||Barcelona||06:46||€ 16|
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
answered | Posted by Wilfred C. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Margaret M. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
answered | Posted by evan s. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2016
answered | Posted by Niladri R. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
answered | Posted by Kim W. | Comments 2 | Created: 17/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "Madrid to Pamplona" . 05/02/2016
It is a excellent journey with comfort. I did not feel that I have traveled 3.5 hours.
- "nice trip by train" Eszter r. 04/02/2016
I loved the train so did my friend. Comfortable, convenient, fast. I could just suggest. Convenience
- "Two different experiences" Deborah m. 02/02/2016
The ticket did not have the platform number on it and so while I was trying to find the platform the train left....:(. People around the station were not helpful I had to talk to 6 station workers before I found someone who could tell me where to go. I did catch it on the way back and thought the train itself was good. Convenience
- "thanks" Hassan h. 28/01/2016
many thanks for your kind assist and support rgds Convenience
- "Trip" . 26/01/2016
The trip was comfortable economical and convenient .
- "thanks" Hassan h. 26/01/2016
dear all many thanks for your kind assist and support rgds Convenience
- "Remarkable trip ever" . 24/01/2016
The trip went smoothly. We enjoyed every minute aboard. 1-st class tourist class can be compared to business class aboard plane. W/C stayed clear till the end. Comfortable luggage shelves. Highly recommended to everyone!!!
- "In Spain" Galal Mahmoud Aly f. 24/01/2016
The train was very clean, speedy, comfortable, and arrived on time Convenience
- "Malaga to Madrid" Adnan t. 23/01/2016
The entire process of planning and purchasing tickets was seamless it was easy enough once you managed to find the english version of the site to buy tickets online to print them at home. The only issue was the email for receiving the confirmation took 48hours other than that it was easy. The train ride was pleasant and the service was good as well. Would highly recommend the train. Convenience
- "amaizing trip with renfe" Ahmad a. 20/01/2016
comortable seat Convenience
- "Trip Pamplona to Barcelona" Kian Huo f. 19/01/2016
The train is timing and the ticket is easy to understand , even it is not in English. No Q to aboard the train. Making booking is also easy via internet. Great to travel around in Spain by train. Convenience
- "Madrid to Barcelona" Hon Wing l. 19/01/2016
The train was convenient and comfort. It connected with metro so you can go everywhere easily. Convenience
- "Excellent" Durdana k. 19/01/2016
Great train service....so fast and yet so smooth! My first "bullet" train ride. We touched 290km/hr! Convenience
- "Efficient service" Michelle Florence w. 19/01/2016
Efficient, clean and comfortable. One of the best ways to travel across Spain. For some reason I could not rate the value for money - I would rate that 4 star! Convenience
- "comfortable trip from Madrid t" Katharine m. 18/01/2016
The train trip was excellent, comfortable and very smooth. We nearly missed the train though as we did not realise that the booking confirmation was not actually the ticket! Convenience