Find a Train Ticket
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (952)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2014
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||Miranda De Ebro||04:38||€ 25|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Murcia Del Carmen||Barcelona||06:46||€ 16|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
|San Sebastian||Barcelona||05:28||€ 25|
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
answered | Posted by Elizabeth T. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/07/2015
answered | Posted by Saw M. | Comments 0 | Created: 08/07/2015
answered | Posted by devanshi b. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/07/2015
answered | Posted by Purna R. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/07/2015
answered | Posted by Mike M. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/07/2015
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"Speed panely". 21/08/2015
Traveling with 298 km/h on the ground made me anxious. Before I saw the speed on the paneI, it hadn't been look like that fast. I think you should not display the speed of the train to the passengers.
"Thanks RailEurope!"Wai Ying Christine t. 20/08/2015
I purchased Renfe Spanish high speed train tickets from Barcelona to Madrid at Rail Europe, which saved me a lot of trouble going through the user-unfriendly Renfe online ticketing service! The train was very comfortable and fast. Very pleasant journey. I would give 3 stars to "Value for money" since the prices rised a lot in just a few days. Convenience
"We loved it!"Robin a. 19/08/2015
We so enjoyed the trains in Spain. They were on-time, comfortable, convenient, and reasonably priced. Convenience
"ERKAN OTAG FROM ISTANBUL"Kamil Erkan o. 13/08/2015
SO COMFORTABLE,CONVINIENT,FAST Convenience
"4 stars". 13/08/2015
Very good 4 stars for comfort value for money and convenience
"Convenience Transportation"Agoosh y. 05/08/2015
Train is alternate transportation mode to travel which are convenient, safe and enjoyable in Europe. Connecting between cities and among Schengen countries. In addition by Train we also could enjoy the scenery along the way. Really enjoyable trip and highly recommended. Convenience
"Extraordinary Experience"Fernando b. 03/08/2015
I can't find anything more comfortable than traveling by train in Europe. This time I took a train from Madrid to Santiago and from Santander to Madrid. Both trips were enjoyable. No waiting in airports, no horrible security points, no baggage problem, extra comfortable seats and beautiful views. I Love it! Convenience
"Convenient trip"Efthalia n. 02/08/2015
Nice trains on time with no disruptions Convenience
"Trip to Sevilla"Wayne m. 22/06/2015
This was a very pleasant journey. The train was on time and seats were very comfortable. The trip allowed me to enjoy the beauty of the Andalucian countryside. Convenience
"Pleasant trip"Marlene t. 22/06/2015
on time, clean, fast. Better than air transport. Convenience
The journey was smooth. No delays. Plus we were surprised to find out that our purchased ticket included metro tickets to get us to Barcelona Sants (train station). Apparently it was stated in French so if we didn't show our tickets to the information counter, we would have just purchased additional metro tickets on that day.
"Easy, cheap and comfortable. "Emily j. 21/06/2015
Very straight forward service and ticket purchasing made for a relaxed journey. Prices are fair and the train was quick with no delays. Convenience
"BARCELONA-VALENCIA RETURN TRIP"Rafi-us s. 13/06/2015
I was extremely pleased at the ease with which my train booking and travel arrangements from Barcelona to Valencia and back was accomplished. The train journey was pleasant and comfortable and I enjoyed the views from the train specially the beaches, which are located all along this route.The trains operated promptly according to the schedule. Perhaps the entertainment screen in the cabins showing documentaries, Films and Dramas etc. could be improved. Snacks were available from the cafeteria at reasonable prices. The railway staff was available at the platforms to provide assistance in finding our seats etc. Value for money Convenience
"RENFE Madrid-San Sebastian"Kook Kee w. 13/06/2015
Information on train schedules and update should include English. Renfe staff in San Sebastian spoke good English and went extra mile to help with information. Madrid Chamartin can do with the same. Booking online is very useful for planning our trip. All in all, a very good experience. Many thanks Value for money Convenience
"Great ride". 13/06/2015
Plan in advance, book online and take the ride on the ave fast train. Its comfortable and great way to travel in Europe!