Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:30
- Prices from € 47
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
Find a point to point ticket
Renfe Spanish high speed trains network
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Barcelona||Miranda De Ebro||04:38||€ 25|
|Murcia Del Carmen||Barcelona||06:46||€ 16|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Print @ home||Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.||Printing guide|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√||√||√|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>||√||√||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√||√|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>||√||√|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>||√|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment. Turista class offers good value for money, and you can also easily upgrade to 1st class- Club or Preferente.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
0 | 10
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (2910)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"As it should be!"Fay t.
We couldn´t ask for more. It was easy to get to the station, our seats were very comfortable, the train left and arrived on time. Excellent! Value for money Convenience
"Love it!"Aiza Fareena b. 27/11/2014
we had a great ride, thanks, RailEurope! Value for money Convenience
"Good travel experience"Shih Yi c. 26/11/2014
The travel experience was pretty good overall. Value for money Convenience
"Comfortable and easy"Jennifer c. 26/11/2014
Great well-maintained train, timely, affordable and comfortable! Value for money Convenience
"Spain by Train"Lee m. 24/11/2014
Excellent amenities, great staff, good security. The only way to travel in Spain is by Train!! Value for money Convenience
"Terrific Train"Nicole v. 24/11/2014
Train travel via Renfe is enjoyable, as it is much more convenient that air travel and not expensive. The only issue is the occasional rude passenger who smokes in the coach. I highly recommend Renfe's high speed trains for business or leisure travel. The train is quite clean and comfortable. I will absolutely plan to use Renfe the next time I am traveling in Spain on holiday. Value for money Convenience
"Great trip!"Signe o. 23/11/2014
Train arrived and left on time. The cabin was clean and comfortable! Value for money Convenience
"Comfortable but hard to access"John Joseph d. 19/11/2014
The train ride and service is very good but finding your way through the stations is poor. The ticket has "renfe" written all over it but at the stations I was directed to an area under the signage of "Adif" or "Ave" . I had to line up to ask for information about where the train departed. This should be clearer on the ticket itself or better signage at the stations. Fortunately I arrived with time to spare. Value for money Convenience
"Barchelona to Valencia"Nikolaos z. 19/11/2014
I recently travelled to Barchelona for tourism. I found out that at the same dates the motoGP final race was taking place in Valencia so I decided to go there by train. The noise levels inside the cabit were minimal and the seats were large and comfortable unlike those found in busses or airplanes providing some comfort for my 3 hour journey. Both for going and the return trip, the train departed on schedule. All in all, I had a great experience and would gladly do it again. If I could make one suggestion it would be that the lights dim after 10pm which is something I would prefer. Value for money Convenience
"Overall an easy and fast way "Anna s. 16/11/2014
It's an easy and fast way to travel theses distances. the chairs aren't comfortable, but other than that it was a smooth trip Value for money Convenience
"No food for 1st Class tickets?"Sook Fern l. 16/11/2014
I was misled to think that all 1st class tickets come with food. Was disappointed to find out on board that there is more than one type of 1st class tickets; in fact I was embarrassed cos I had other guest-travelers whom I purchased the tickets for. Renfe should make this clear in their ad. Value for money Convenience
"Better than flying!!!"Sharon r. 14/11/2014
We had just the best experience both in booking with Rail Europe and the train journeys. The booking process online was so easy Value for money Convenience
"why it there no WIFI on board"Paulus b. 14/11/2014
When traveling for business, having no WIFI on board is realy terrible. this is something you need to sort. Loved the first class lounge, this was very good. Value for money Convenience
"Football Trip"Andrew m. 14/11/2014
Quality of your web site booking was excellent. Quality of the train was excellent. Price was too expensive, but that maybe down to the fact we only booked it a week beforehand. Overall, very good. Value for money Convenience
"Convenient an comfortable "Kristiina b. 14/11/2014
Easy acces in both ends. Comfortable and spacious seats, Quiet and very tidy. Real luxury, much better choice than flying! Value for money Convenience