Renfe Spanish high speed trainsSpain : RENFE
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|Castellon De La Plana||Barcelona||02:21||€ 11|
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||€ 41|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
- Children under 4 years old can travel free on board Renfe trains if they do not require an extra seat. Make sure to retrieve your free infant ticket at the train station before boarding.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
answered | Posted by Shoroug I. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/08/2016
answered | Posted by Little_Koala | Comments 0 | Created: 13/02/2016
answered | Posted by Wilfred C. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Margaret M. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
answered | Posted by evan s. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "Comfortable ride but....." Josephine l. 01/12/2016
Was fast and comfortable ride. However there was not enough luggage space for our big (20 - 25kgs) luggage. The space was taken by the small cabin bags. we left out big luggage along the corridor. Also the seating was not the same as the time we booked. We booked for a 4 group seater. Our seat was 2 each side. Convenience
- "Comfortable and fast!" . 01/12/2016
Comfortable, fast and safe. This is a winning combination, for those who prefer to train than plane.
- "Great Trip" Goran m. 29/11/2016
everything was very nice and fast. Clean train ,nice jazz music:) bad headphone connections bud not a big problem Goran Convenience
- "Madrid to Malaga" . 29/11/2016
This was our first experience of traveling by train from one city to another and our first trip to Spain. Wonderful experience, meal and beverage on our way to Malaga was great. Disappointed that no complimentary meal and beverage on our return to Madrid. Shocked to hear we had to pay for water! Both trips were upgraded to first class,so no service on return? Seats and temperature was very comfortable.
- "Spanis Trains" . 24/11/2016
The Trains were very comfortable and the timings were also exact. All in all it was a very good journey.
- "Train Ride" Alfreda c. 22/11/2016
A wonderful experience. The train station was within walking distance to our hotel, even though I took a taxi. some members of the group walked Convenience
- "Convenient and Confortable" Maria m. 20/11/2016
All in all the trip was convenient and confortable. But most of all, it is a very quick which is very important. If the ticket was less expensive it would be the perfect way to travel!!! Convenience
- "very good" . 20/11/2016
I have traveled from Cyprus to Gandia as a participant of the ERASMUS .I have used all transportation to arrive to my destination.It was very easy to use all types of transport in Spain. The service was excellent.All transports in time without delay.Clean buses and trains and the drivers offered to us all the information we needed just to be early to our destination.I am thankful.
- "Easy to book, board and travel" Annabel l. 19/11/2016
Found the whole experience excellent. Booked on line in New Zealand - train station in Barcelona was more like an airport terminal and very straightforward to find our platform and then our seats. Trip was smooth, super fast and interesting as well. Can't fault it and look froward to the next European train ride. 2nd class was more than acceptable. Convenience
- "A great way to travel!" Ravindra m. 18/11/2016
My family and I (4 people in all) had an excellent time traveling on the AV 03103 train from Madrid to Barcelona, * It was easy to book on the rail-europe website (no hidden fees and good prices) * The process of taking the train from Madrid was very straightforward with the online printed tickets * The 1st Class compartment was very comfortable and we were able to easily take and store the 4 large suitcases and our carry-on bags (nice to see trolleys being made available). * The food and wine/beverages were tasty * The train ride was very comfortable and traveling at 300km/hour was great! I would recommend it anytime! Thanks, Ravi Convenience
- "very good" . 18/11/2016
It was a good experince ,the only inconvienet we fell that there was no sufficeent space to store our lugggage.
- "Great service but improvements" Lynda a. 18/11/2016
This is a great service between Madrid and Barcelona. We travelled 1st Class and our only complaint would be pre-lunch drinks when we asked for red wine and were told that only white wine was available for that drink service - yet everyone else was asking for red wine and getting it? we pointed this out but it made no difference - the staff member would not change her mind.All drinks were available when the lunch was served. Convenience
- "Nice and fast and on time." Jens Ø. 17/11/2016
Recommend this way of traveling between Malaga and Madrid, just as fast and not more expensive. Convenience
- "Madrid to Malaga AVE" Gillian h. 17/11/2016
This is the first time I have travelled in Spain on AVE Train. We booked 1st class seats which were large and comfortable, and the coach was well laid out. Both of our trains were exactly on time, and we also made use of the train running from Madrid Airport to Atocha Station, which was included in the price of our AVE ticket. Overall very impressed and will definately travel again this way in the future. (Unfortunately was not able to allocate stars for value for money but would rate as very good). Convenience
- "Online purchase of tickets" Jose v. 14/11/2016
Purchasing the ticket online made the trip convenient. Convenience