Renfe Spanish high speed trainsSpain : RENFE
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
answered | Posted by Little_Koala | Comments 0 | Created: 13/02/2016
answered | Posted by Wilfred C. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Margaret M. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
answered | Posted by evan s. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2016
answered | Posted by Niladri R. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "Unforgettable trip" . 29/04/2016
No delay, what is very important while traveling further by plane, comfortable seats , almost noiseless going, I loved that trip.
- "Great Travel Exoerience" Sridevi m. 29/04/2016
Had a very comfortable experience whilst booking and travelling. Highly recommendable!! Convenience
- "comfort on a long journey." Robert Michael s. 29/04/2016
quick, efficient security checks before entry to platform, train on time (as was normal on all our trains)comfortable seating and fairly priced refreshments available. the availability of entertainment(movies/music) was also a plus. Convenience
- "Excelent Experience" Roni s. 29/04/2016
Comfortable and fast trip Convenience
- "personal review" Michael a. 27/04/2016
An excellent experience and service was very timely Convenience
- "Excellent experience" Sridevi m. 27/04/2016
Right from the time of booking,the experience has been excellent. Very user friendly site and experience at the station and whilst travelling has been good. Best way to travel around Europe in comfort and convenience. Value for money. Convenience
- "Trip without issues" Aristoteles l. 27/04/2016
Reasonable service from RENFE. The seats could be a bit more comfortable and the train station in Madrid could have more signs to indicate the different types of trains and services. The auto-service machines are a good option to print the boarding pass and get more info about your trip. Convenience
- "Smooth and beautiful trip from" Richard k. 26/04/2016
We chose to take AVE in order to see the countryside and avoid another flight. Our trip was quite comfortable and very fast! We would travel by train again if we were to need to go from Madrid to Malaga. It was definitely a very pleasant experience with two very different but interesting (in a good way) train stations. Convenience
- "Perfect" William Oliver Pio f. 25/04/2016
Everything was smooth and perfect. Convenience
- "Review form is problematic" Zoi c. 25/04/2016
Hello, the "value for money" question is problematic. I'm not able to click/allocate stars for this one. If I'd value this, my response would be 5. Best, Zoi Convenience
- "a day to relax" Joanell c. 25/04/2016
we had 3 stops in Spain: Barcelona, Bilbao and Madrid. We choose to take the train between Bilbao and Madrid as a kick back, relaxing day. We enjoyed our trip - would recommend Convenience
- "feedback" . 24/04/2016
The trip was excellent in every aspect.
- "its good by train" Robert Michael s. 22/04/2016
trains on time, easy getting around the staion, lifts if needed rather than using stairs( very useful if you have luggage) Convenience
- "Disappointed" Bernard c. 22/04/2016
I bought my ticket on Internet, I live in Canada and it was bought by sncf and unfortunately we were travelling Renfe. This was for travel between 2 cities in Spain. I could not print my ticket when I bought it and had to get it in a booth however when I went for my ticket I was told that my ticket had to be taken in France as it was bought from sncf I had to cancel my tickets and lost 20% and had to buy two new ones and paid quite a bit more as I had bought them in advance at a good price. I was not at all happy. How was I supposed to know all this. Very disappointed. Beverly Caissy Convenience
- "Great trip" Jeff z. 21/04/2016
Enjoyed the ride. Clean fast and comfortable. Also ON TIME:) Convenience