Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Find a Train Ticket
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (952)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
|Barcelona||Miranda De Ebro||04:38||€ 25|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
|Castellon De La Plana||Barcelona||02:21||€ 11|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
answered | Posted by Yuval Z. | Comments 0 | Created: 24/03/2015
answered | Posted by Bob S. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/03/2015
answered | Posted by Mariette B. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/03/2015
answered | Posted by Noor A. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/03/2015
answered | Posted by adite99 | Comments 0 | Created: 27/02/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"good experience"Cheuk Yin y.
Took a round trip between Madrid and Barcelona. We made a booking 2 weeks ahead from the Hong Kong website, everything was smooth and clear. Satisfactory. Value for money Convenience
"Pleasent trip"Daniel j. 22/03/2015
Quick and comfortable Value for money Convenience
"Excellent Service"Alfonso p. 21/03/2015
Great service, convenient and fast! Value for money Convenience
"A journey from Madrid to Toled"Priyabrata s. 18/03/2015
The journey was safe, comfortable and nice. We had no trouble at all in finding the platform number and seats. Toledo station is small but beautiful and in the station itself, we could book the bus trip to go around the city. Value for money Convenience
"1st Time Ave Users"David m. 25/02/2015
We were pleasantly surprised with our first experience using the AVE train from Madrid to Malaga.We bought 1st Class tickets online for a very good price. We had a very good meal served to us with wine which was included in the price of the ticket. Would definitely travel with AVE again. Value for money Convenience
"Valencia to Barcelona"Candace a. 23/02/2015
Everything was great. Received a meal, drinks etc. Only negative was that it was an older train. I've been on new, high-speed trains in Italy and they were very luxurious. This train was older and in need of renovation. But otherwise the service and amenities were excellent. Will travel Renfe again. Value for money Convenience
"Nice train"Philip l. 23/02/2015
Comfortable, clean and pretty much on time, that sums up my trip on Renfe. I would certainly use Renfe again if traveling in Spain. Value for money Convenience
"Valencia to Madrid"Ian s. 21/02/2015
A very efficient train service. Very comfortable. Speed at one point reached 301kph - wow. Value for money Convenience
"Madrid to Malaga"Ian s. 21/02/2015
Put the English train system to shame. Very comfortable, peaceful, on time. Value for money Convenience
"very good"Seonggeol k. 18/02/2015
fast,comfortable Value for money Convenience
"Cold Madrid to warm winter sun"Jeremy t. 13/02/2015
Congratulations RENFE, great trains at high speed and arriving exactly on time. Value for money Convenience
"Quick weekend in Sevilla"Lisa l. 09/02/2015
Great and efficient way to escape from Madrid to Sevilla for the weekend. My only wish was there was wifi and/or charging ports on the train. Some day... Value for money Convenience
"It was easy"Mohamed a. 06/02/2015
Yes . Every thing went easy and smooth as a piece of cake. Value for money Convenience
"SUPERB TRIP BY AVE TRAIN"Syed Siddiq h. 01/02/2015
Great trip , comfortable train , departed on time , arrived 5 mins early . Overall great experience . Value for money Convenience
"Comfortable, Easy, Fast"Tricia w. 30/01/2015
Travel by train in Spain was incredibly easy, affordable, and comfortable. Highlight of our trip and provided some great downtime for our kids between busy days of sightseeing. Value for money Convenience