Renfe Spanish high speed trainsSpain : RENFE
Europe Summer Sales: Great deals to tour Europe!
Save up to € 60 on your booking and enjoy a wonderful summertime in Europe!
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||La Coruna||12:52||€ 41|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
answered | Posted by Little_Koala | Comments 0 | Created: 13/02/2016
answered | Posted by Wilfred C. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Margaret M. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
answered | Posted by evan s. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2016
answered | Posted by Niladri R. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "Catch up Barcelona and Madrid" Karl Trygve m. 27/06/2016
We very much enjoyed our trip taking us from visiting Grandchildren in Barcelona to wedding in Madrid in just a short weekend from Norway. Great comfort - time effective. Looking forward to next time. NB Not possible to click for Value for money stars - 5 stars ! Convenience
- "Effortless way of travelling." Ian c. 26/06/2016
Clean trains. Left on time. Great aircon. What a wonderful way to travel from City Centre to City Centre. Great value for money . Helpful on board staff. Will travel again on Refe. Thanks Convenience
- "Family trip" Ugur k. 25/06/2016
I've made a trip from Barcelona to Madrid with my family. We all liked it. My 9 years old daughter enjoyed all parts of this travel. Thanks raileurope. We will see eachother again. Convenience
- "First time on AVE Renfe" . 25/06/2016
Everything was very smooth, train was on time and all in all a fabulous experience. I would however like to choose my own seat during ticket purchase rather than have the system allocate for me.
- "Please add pictures of class" . 25/06/2016
it is important to know whether ticket we are going to purchase is a chair car or a sleeper one , while i booked , photo shown did not resemble the actual . We expected sleeper where as it was a chair car , sitting for almost 11 hours is difficult that too whole night . So please ensure that while booking itself customer knows what he is booking , sleeper or chair car .
- "Great journey" Ashok b. 25/06/2016
On Time, excellent service and very organised Convenience
- "Excellent" Ashok b. 24/06/2016
However, They would not accommodate me and my wife together as she was in another seat Convenience
- "perfect trip" Hubertus e. 24/06/2016
fast, comfortable en on time Convenience
- "Easy way to travel " Dennis c. 24/06/2016
We loved our train trip, no airports, fast, comfortable, staff were excellent and closer to the city centres we were visiting. Convenience
- "Very comfortable" . 24/06/2016
The train journey was extremely comfortable. I didn't realise my ticket came with a meal, but unfortunately as I don't eat meat I didn't have anything. If you don't want to eat meat, you need to let the company know 24 hours in advance. The train was lovely, smooth and quiet!
- "A great trip" . 23/06/2016
A comfortable ride in a very clean train
- "Valencia to Barcelona" David Glyn e. 22/06/2016
Almost all was ok, the trains were on time, the seating areas were clean and the seating easy to find and comfortable. The only negative was the terrible state of the toilets on both journeys, not good at all. Convenience
- "Family trip" Julie p. 21/06/2016
We had a family trip to Spain, and this is the first time we had used the Renfe high speed train. We booked seats in the Tourist section. The train was clean, comfortable and convenient, and easy to use. We would definitely make use of the train again. Only one comment - it would be useful to have a Wifi facility on the train. Convenience
- "Very late arrival" Omer f. 21/06/2016
When I came to y 6:20 train to Seville there was a strick. No body announced by mail, no body was there to direct us. When I finally found the service they just said coldly that I will be able to go on the 8:30 train, thats it, no explanation, no offers for compensation. I arrived to Seville very late and needed to delay my meeting. I should have taken a flight. Soryy this is not a good service and a very bitter taste Convenience
- "First European Train Ride" Miller l. 20/06/2016
I bought two first class tickets from San Sebastian to Barcelona. The ride was comfortable and spacious. Convenience