Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Great deals to tour Europe!
Get up to € 60 off your booking and enjoy summer in Europe!
Discover iconic cities such as Paris, London and Rome.
Find a Train Ticket
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (952)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
|Castellon De La Plana||Barcelona||02:21||€ 11|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
answered | Posted by Efrat W. | Comments 0 | Created: 26/07/2015
answered | Posted by Diego F. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/07/2015
answered | Posted by CHIN L. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/07/2015
answered | Posted by Deepak M. | Comments 0 | Created: 04/07/2015
answered | Posted by Beth J. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/06/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"Trip to Sevilla"Wayne m.
This was a very pleasant journey. The train was on time and seats were very comfortable. The trip allowed me to enjoy the beauty of the Andalucian countryside. Convenience
"Pleasant trip"Marlene t. 22/06/2015
on time, clean, fast. Better than air transport. Convenience
"Enjoyable"Marlene t. 22/06/2015
The journey was smooth. No delays. Plus we were surprised to find out that our purchased ticket included metro tickets to get us to Barcelona Sants (train station). Apparently it was stated in French so if we didn't show our tickets to the information counter, we would have just purchased additional metro tickets on that day.
"Easy, cheap and comfortable. "Emily j. 21/06/2015
Very straight forward service and ticket purchasing made for a relaxed journey. Prices are fair and the train was quick with no delays. Convenience
"BARCELONA-VALENCIA RETURN TRIP"Rafi-us s. 13/06/2015
I was extremely pleased at the ease with which my train booking and travel arrangements from Barcelona to Valencia and back was accomplished. The train journey was pleasant and comfortable and I enjoyed the views from the train specially the beaches, which are located all along this route.The trains operated promptly according to the schedule. Perhaps the entertainment screen in the cabins showing documentaries, Films and Dramas etc. could be improved. Snacks were available from the cafeteria at reasonable prices. The railway staff was available at the platforms to provide assistance in finding our seats etc. Value for money Convenience
"RENFE Madrid-San Sebastian"Kook Kee w. 13/06/2015
Information on train schedules and update should include English. Renfe staff in San Sebastian spoke good English and went extra mile to help with information. Madrid Chamartin can do with the same. Booking online is very useful for planning our trip. All in all, a very good experience. Many thanks Value for money Convenience
"Great ride"Kook Kee w. 13/06/2015
Plan in advance, book online and take the ride on the ave fast train. Its comfortable and great way to travel in Europe!
"Comfortable "Satnam Jit s. 13/06/2015
Impressed with AVE's efficiency and punctuality. Over a 1000 km journey was covered in just about 5 1/2 hours and was very comfortable. The best and cost effective way to travel between major cities. Value for money Convenience
"happy travel"Ayman b. 03/06/2015
nice train and stuff Value for money Convenience
"Highly recommended!"Wing Chi c. 02/06/2015
It is fast and comfortable , recommended to travel by train between cities! It saves more time than travelling by flight. Value for money Convenience
"Language"Agija r. 02/06/2015
It would be nice that if you have urgent information for travelers in the transit time that the staff will comunicate not only in Spanish but is English too. Value for money Convenience
"very good"Teng Soo s. 02/06/2015
all reservation / printing of ticket and seat done through internet, no additional validation at station, etc. required. Value for money Convenience
"Excellent trip"Maksim k. 31/05/2015
It was good journey by train. But There was one minus it was delayed on 20 minutes. In general i like it. Value for money Convenience
" Rail is the way to go. "Shahed a. 25/05/2015
Could be more liberal with tourist travelling with box, that may be classified as baggage. This suggestion come with our recent experience in Marino Zambrano, Malaga to Madrid, we were told just before entering the train our Glass lamps box cartons were not luggage. Thereafter the gentleman who stopped us spoke to his superior over the phone and took permission I presume, and allowed us to board the train. Value for money Convenience
"easy and cheap"Igor n. 25/05/2015
it was much easear and cheaper than rent a car. You need not drive in big city, you need no parking. Value for money Convenience