Renfe Spanish high speed trainsSpain : RENFE
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
|Miranda De Ebro||Barcelona||04:55||€ 28|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
answered | Posted by Little_Koala | Comments 0 | Created: 13/02/2016
answered | Posted by Wilfred C. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/02/2016
answered | Posted by Margaret M. | Comments 0 | Created: 31/01/2016
answered | Posted by evan s. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/01/2016
answered | Posted by Niladri R. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
Reviews & ratings Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
- "San Sebastian to Madrid" Sharon L m. 26/05/2016
The train was easy, comfortable and very convenient. Note: FOR SOME REASON I WAS UNABLE TO GIVE A RATING FOR "VALUE FOR MONEY". I would give it 5 stars. Convenience
- "Undecided about my Opinion " Gloria s. 26/05/2016
Confortable Train, very smooth ride, it's just that for the price I paid for my ticket I thought the train was Non- Stop. It turns out, the train Between Madrid - Barcelona make several stops along the way, they are short and quick stops, but I wasn't aware of these stops. The Luggage storage fills out very quickly, we put our bags two coaches down from our seats so we had to run to get our bags and get off the train fast when it stopped. You have to be very alert and act quickly when the train stops because the people rush to get off the train and it gets crowded and the time the train stops is very short. Overall it was a great experience and good service. Convenience
- "Camino" . 26/05/2016
- "Started with a bus ride" Denise d. 26/05/2016
We have always enjoyed train travel in Europe. This trip was good but I didn't realize that we would need to take a bus for over an hour from the Granada train to another train station to get the train to Seville. It was fine but I probably would have checked into taking the bus for the trip from Granada to Seville instead. Convenience
- "Excellent Spanish trains" . 25/05/2016
The train from Madrid to Cordoba was fast, smooth and ahead of schedule. Trains were frequent too.
- "Turistic trip" Bojan k. 24/05/2016
I have travelled with my partner from Barcelona to Madrid with AVE high speed train and it was wonderful experience. Train is very fast and comfortable, even at speeds of 300 km/h. Very accurate also. Convenience
- "Spain Trip" Wellington m. 23/05/2016
I was pleased with time keeping, comfort, friendly staff and opportunity to see a large part of Spain from Barcelona to Madrid in about 3 hours (sorry could not rate value of money as the stars were not highting) Convenience
- "Smooth and timely arrival..." Yew Kin c. 23/05/2016
Our group of seven adults from Malaysia traveled on 13 may 2016. The train is clean, comfortable and efficient.We even had a simple meal onboard their cafe carriage. Very good value for money...rgds Chanykin. Convenience
- "Very nice trip" Mhd Amer d. 21/05/2016
This trip was very nice and comfortable. The high speed train made the journey short and convenient. I enjoyed the lovely scenery throughout the trip. In brief, it was a great experience that I would recommend to everyone. Convenience
- "Speed train was Grrrrrrrrreat!" Christopher b. 21/05/2016
We travelled 1st class. Friendly staff, great service, food Convenience
- "Super Comfortable Experience" Aniruddha s. 21/05/2016
We had a super comfortable journey. We recommend travel with Rail Europe. Certainly we plan to use Rail Europe on our future visits. Convenience
- "excellent" . 20/05/2016
very comfortable, convenient and a great experience
- "Luggage rack" Nan Yuh h. 20/05/2016
The luggage rack for large luggage in the train were all taken up by small and light luggages. The luggage rack for train should be reserved for large and heavy luggage that cannot be lifted or fit into the shelves above the seats. Otherwise the train service is excellent. Excellent value for money(Unable to click star). Convenience
- "Tracks under construction" Shirley b. 20/05/2016
Because the tracks were being worked on, had to take a bus to a point along the way. That was inconvenient but it worked out. Once on the train it was comfortable. Convenience
- "nice trip" Khalida a. 19/05/2016
le voyage etait un peu long mais s est tres bien passe le train est confortable et tres proper et calme Convenience