Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Find a Train Ticket
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:30
- Prices from € 47
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (952)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Barcelona||San Sebastian||05:28||€ 25|
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|Barcelona||Miranda De Ebro||04:38||€ 25|
|Murcia Del Carmen||Barcelona||06:46||€ 16|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment. Turista class offers good value for money, and you can also easily upgrade to 1st class- Club or Preferente.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
answered | Posted by Tingting C. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/01/2015
answered | Posted by nicola p. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/01/2015
answered | Posted by Becky K. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/12/2014
answered | Posted by Hemant J. | Comments 0 | Created: 29/11/2014
answered | Posted by Abdul A. | Comments 2 | Created: 24/11/2014
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"Fast and comfortable"Olga z.
2,5 hours from city center to city center - fantastic! Value for money Convenience
"Great experience."Frederick l. 12/01/2015
Excellent service in the first class section. Wonderful staff attitude. Very clean and comfort cars and rest rooms. On time. Not a single complaint. Value for money Convenience
"ok"Mika v. 10/01/2015
there is not enough place for the luggage Value for money Convenience
"Granada-Seville Train"Cassim c. 10/01/2015
Very convenient mode of travel, with comfortable seats and on-time departure. One possible area of improvement is to provide more space for luggage. Value for money Convenience
"A good experience"Svein Kåre s. 09/01/2015
Nice tran, very fast and good service Value for money Convenience
"Excellent trip"Zainab a. 08/01/2015
We had an excellent trip and we will definitely repeat it in the near future. Value for money Convenience
"Great ride"Trevenesan p. 07/01/2015
Enjoyed a real comfortable journey between Malaga and Madrid. This was booked online via Rail Europe- booking process was very convenient and tickets were printed at home and same used at the station. Malaga station was really great, only difficulty was finding the car hire return parking which is not properly signed- anyway one needs to go into P2 underground and find the relevant parking as there are no attendants there, and then find the car hire office upstairs. The security and boarding was easy. The train itself was neat, clean and spacious. Plenty of luggage space overhead mainly. There is a well stocked dining car and toilets avaialble. It was a very enjoyable ride. Value for money Convenience
"Excellent, hassle free!"Evelyna a. 04/01/2015
Online booking process was very straightforward and easy. Print at home option was great and when we got to the station , We just went straight to board the train. Train was comfortable and clean and I have nothing but good things to say about our experience. Would totally recommend this. Value for money Convenience
"Short trip"Manohari Sharmini t. 30/12/2014
Enjoyed the countryside and it was a fairly short trip Value for money Convenience
"Fast and convenient"Michael e. 29/12/2014
Easy way to visit Toledo, 33 min from Madrid, very comfortable and fast for a day trip. Value for money Convenience
"Necessary improvements"Neville s. 28/12/2014
I travel over this sector about 6 times a year. Things that would greatly improve the service are: .1. Informing passengers precisely where on the platform their coach will stop. This will save rushing around with the luggage just to locate your coach. 2. Improve the luggage space. It is insufficient for people travelling with suitcases. The overhead racks are fine for small bags but the heavy stuff cannot go up there. 3. There are rarely any luggage trolleys available at Joaquin Sorolla Station in Valencia. The solitary rack (half way along the platform) is usually empty. 4. The rule limiting use of the Club Salon to only one hour before the train departs is hugely inconvenient. Recently I had to sit on the station concourse in Barcelona for 5 hours because of this stupid rule. Value for money Convenience
" Barcelona-Zaragoza-Barcelona"Hasan t. 27/12/2014
I had the chance to make this visit very conveniently. Thanks. Hasan Value for money Convenience
"On time, save money"Shlomo a. 25/12/2014
On time train.No middle stations. Save lot of time and significant cost saving compared to direct flight. Value for money Convenience
"nice trip"Mamdouh a. 19/12/2014
I enjoyed travelling by train and I had a wonderful experience. Thank you. Value for money Convenience
"better than airplain indeed"Boris l. 17/12/2014
I haven't travel by train for ages but this trip excited me and all the family very very much. Nice job. Value for money Convenience