Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Find a Train Ticket
- Madrid - Barcelona: 02:50
- Prices from € 32
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
Reviews & ratings (952)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Renfe Spanish high speed trains
Spanish day trains. High speed AVE connection between cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Seville etc.
Travelling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high speed train operated by RENFE. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and AVE also means bird in Spanish. The RENFE operated trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph). The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business. RENFE is the Spanish national railway company which operates the AVE high speed trains.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Santiago De Compostela||Barcelona||12:23||€ 40|
|Barcelona||Castellon De La Plana||02:02||€ 11|
|La Coruna||Barcelona||12:53||€ 27|
|San Sebastian||Barcelona||05:28||€ 25|
|Barcelona||Miranda De Ebro||04:38||€ 25|
|Barcelona||Murcia Del Carmen||06:47||€ 16|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Renfe Spanish high speed trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
Make sure to arrive at the station early to find out where you should be taking your train, especially if you are unfamiliar with the premises. RENFE trains leave on time!Ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE trains.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>|
AVE trains operated by RENFE offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly RENFE staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. First class on the Spanish day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, friendly staff to serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat. Second class on the Spanish day train offers generous legroom, bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase and major routes have audio and video programs at your seat.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. The AVE offers 2 first class options they are called Club class and Preferente class. Club class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. This class of service offers tables for each seat. Preferente class on the AVE offers access to the AVE lounges at the rail stations, large comfortable reclining seats, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat, and friendly staff serves you drinks and light snacks at your seat. Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. AVE services offer two different classes of travel: in first class, depending on the train, you will be able to choose between First Class Club and Preferente where you can enjoy a meal served at seat, an access to VIP lounges in the main Spanish railways stations, daily press and free parking (24 hours if you have a single ticket, 48 hours for a return). Turista class, as known as 2nd class, includes a family area, children’s board games, wheelchair facilities as well as audio/video devices.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. Check-in is usually open 30 minutes before AVE train leaves and is closed 2 minutes before departure. Also, bear in mind that ticket control and passport checks will occur before boarding AVE Trains. For travellers carrying Eurail Pass including Spain – just remember that you need to validate your pass prior to boarding AVE trains and get a reservation.
- A. All passengers with an AVE ticket may carry up to two pieces of hand luggage, for which they will be responsible and which they must store in the designated areas. The total weight limit is 20 kg and the combined dimensions (length + width + height) of each piece of luggage must not be more than 250 cm.
- A. High speed AVE trains connect Madrid to cities including Barcelona and Seville, Malaga and Valencia. Travel time between Madrid and Barcelona is 2 hours and 30 minutes. You can also go to Seville from Madrid in 2 hours and 20 minutes. For longer journeys, Barcelona is 5 hours and 45 minutes from Malaga and 5 hours and 37 minutes from Seville.
- A. The term "Gender Specific" means that these compartments will not allow male and female passengers to travel in the same compartment. The exception to this condition is if you and your travel companion(s) intend on using all beds within the compartment. Trains in which this condition applies are: Elipsos, CNL, Lusitania, Spanish Night trains.
- A. Yes, you’ll need to reserve your place on AVE trains like in most high speed trains in Europe.
answered | Posted by sarah c. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/05/2015
answered | Posted by Dilne M. | Comments 0 | Created: 19/05/2015
answered | Posted by Katherine B. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/05/2015
answered | Posted by Katie W. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/05/2015
answered | Posted by sarah j. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/05/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (952)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
" Rail is the way to go. "Shahed a.
Could be more liberal with tourist travelling with box, that may be classified as baggage. This suggestion come with our recent experience in Marino Zambrano, Malaga to Madrid, we were told just before entering the train our Glass lamps box cartons were not luggage. Thereafter the gentleman who stopped us spoke to his superior over the phone and took permission I presume, and allowed us to board the train. Value for money Convenience
"easy and cheap"Igor n. 25/05/2015
it was much easear and cheaper than rent a car. You need not drive in big city, you need no parking. Value for money Convenience
"Great trip"Alexis d. 23/05/2015
Great trip! The train was late but we still arrived on time. Value for money Convenience
"Great Trip"Catherine w. 22/05/2015
The trains were clean and on time. Staff was very accommodating and friendly. Couldn't have asked for a better ride. I do wish there was wifi available on the train though! Value for money Convenience
"CORDOBA"Ajit t. 22/05/2015
EXCELLENT FAST TRAIN AND BANG ON TIME . Value for money Convenience
"Pleasant and comfortable ride"Brenda Lisabeth m. 18/05/2015
My trip from Barcelona to Madrid on 6th May 2015 was a very pleasant and comfortable journey. It was my first trip on a European rail service and I was very impressed with the service, comfort and convenience. Convenience
"Madrid to Barcelona and back "Umer a. 18/05/2015
It was an excellent service. Easy to book online ahead of time. Easy to check in. The train was clean. The seats were comfortable. Would be better if pillows were provided as well. Cafeteria was nice and had enough options available for the journey. Over all the experience was excellent. Value for money Convenience
"More Info for Non-Europeans"Frances Claudine m. 17/05/2015
It was our first time to travel by train in Europe. We didn't know how to get to the train station but we managed to find it. We could have used more information and instructions on how to find the station. Value for money Convenience
"Good"Chi Chiu p. 17/05/2015
Good, comfort and reliable services Value for money Convenience
"Easy and comfortable"Elaine g. 17/05/2015
My son and I traveled from Madrid Atocha to Toledo in early May. The train was easy to find and board, and was on time to leave and arrive. The seats were so comfortable that I slept the whole way! Value for money Convenience
"nice trains"Patrick d. 16/05/2015
the train was very clean-lots of leg room on seats-nice smooth ride -good service ----everything was perfect ----will use the train again later in year Thank You Patrick-Judy Value for money Convenience
"Train trip to Malaga"Paulomi k. 16/05/2015
The journey from Madrid to Malaga was a cool one. Rail Europe trains are comfortable and convenient. We were in the 1st Class and were served well. The only downside was the cabin attendants who behaved arrogantly and had a snooty attitude. Value for money Convenience
"Trip to Spain"Ahmad Wizan m. 15/05/2015
We had a great time enjoying travelling by the renfe high speed train. The train travel very fast at maximum speed of 300 km/h. While travelling on the train, we did enjoy the great view of spanish country. We reached Barcelona just in 2.5 hours after departing Madrid. It was a great memories after visiting Spain with the all good transportation services provided. Hope to visit Spain again. Value for money Convenience
"First Train Ride"Norton l. 13/05/2015
Great trip. Value for money Convenience
"Great AVE"Lok Hin l. 13/05/2015
The AVE Train is great for travelling in Spain. Comfortable and Convenience. Value for money Convenience