Swedish Night TrainsSweden : SJ
- Stockholm - Oslo: 00:00
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Swedish Night Trains
Swedish night trains. Travel in Scandinavia to discover Malmö, Gothenburg, Kiruna, Narvik and Stockholm.
The Swedish night trains are operated by SJ, the national railway company of Sweden. The SJ night train is one of Europe’s most modern trains, with characteristically Scandinavian airy and light cars.
All the SJ night trains have refreshment facilities. The excellent food, and wine, is specially selected according to the seasons. During night time, you have a pleasant time in the on board cinema. It is a proper auditorium with a large screen and 21 seats, showing two films a night until 11 pm. There’s also a fully-licensed bistro in the carriage next door. With the night trains in Sweden, you can travel to the north of the country to visit Luleå, Kiruna and Narvik, Europe’s last wilderness. After your cosy and comfortable night’s sleep you’ll wake up to discover unspoiled countryside and expansive landscapes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Malmö, Gothenburg, Östersund and Stockholm. Here’s an idea of the routes and durations.
|Gothenburg – Åre||13h|
|Stockholm – Åre||8h|
|Malmö – Stockholm||8h|
|Stockholm – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||11h 10|
|Gothenburg – Luleå/Kiruna/Narvik||19h 45|
|Stockholm – Oslo (summer season only)||8h|
|Malmö – Berlin (not during winter time)||7h|
|Malmö – Oslo (summer season only)||7h 30|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Swedish Night Trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
There’s a SJ night train lounge in both Stockholm and Göteborg for 1st class passengers. You can chill out, grab something to eat, buy last minutes stuff in the shop and use the wireless internet to check your emails. There’s also help on hand if you have any questions about your journey.If you’re travelling from Stockholm, Malmö or Åre, you can check in and board the train well ahead of the departure time to ensure you’re settled in time for the whistle.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Sleeper single deluxe||1st class sleepers||2nd class sleepers||2nd class seats|
|1-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|2-bed cabin) Ample space for a very comfortable ride in the Double deluxe cabin. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|Shared bathroom Freshen up or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
|2 or 3-bed cabin Ample space for a very comfortable ride. small>|
|6-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers in the Couchette compartments. small>|
|Sheet, sleeping bag and blanket Travel on a budget, yet comfortably. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. All 1 st class passes are valid for travel in all sleeper accommodations. If you have a 2 nd class pass, you are able to travel in T3 compartments and couchettes. Some T4 compartments are offered in 1 st and 2 nd class. Please be sure to check the details of the fare for the train you wish to travel on to determine what class the T4 is offered in.
Q. On Eurostar, what are the differences between the Business Premier, Leisure Select, and Standard Classes of service?A. Business Premier class is dedicated to serving the business traveler with its superior service. Business travelers can expect a nonsmoking car, fast lane check-in, use of the Executive Lounges, breakfast or a 3-course lunch or dinner with choice of entrée and wine, complimentary drink, newspapers, Wifi access in the terminal and lap top sockets on board the train. Leisure Select tickets provide complimentary food (including a 3-course dinner), beverages, and newspapers while you relax in your reclining seat. Full Fare tickets gives you access to the Eurostar Lounge. Standard Class offers comfort, convenience, and value. Enjoy the bar car, or purchase snacks and refreshments from the trolley cart when it comes to your seat.
- A. Breakfast is served before 11:00 a.m.; lunch is served between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00pm A snack is served between 2:00pm and 5:00pm Dinner is served after 5:00pm.
Q. Can I borrow my travel partner’s rail pass if I prefer visiting Prague and that my partner wants to visit Hamburg?A. No, this is not possible as the extension must be accompanied by your nominative rail pass bearing your passport number, name and country of residence.
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 pieces of luggage and 1 carry-on bag.
- A. ICE trains offer two travel classes: Standard and First. On First Class, some coaches feature individual video screens. Electric sockets for laptops or DVD players can be found in most First class carriages. Quiet zones are also reserved for passengers who want to travel in peace.
- A. On all domestic routes in France and all international routes that depart from France. When traveling round trip on an international route you will need to print both tickets before you depart. For more detailed information on how to use a French self service kiosk review: How do I retrieve my e-tickets at French train stations?
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
- A. No. You have to buy your Eurail Select Pass before travelling to Europe. Eurail passes can be bought up to six months in advance of your travel date.
answered | Posted by CHENG D. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/12/2015
answered | Posted by Mohamed E. | Comments 0 | Created: 21/11/2015
answered | Posted by talia z. | Comments 9 | Created: 18/11/2015
answered | Posted by CHENG D. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/11/2015
answered | Posted by Ng C. | Comments 2 | Created: 04/11/2015
Reviews & ratings Swedish Night Trains
Overall rating (213)
Overall appreciationExcellent 35% Very good 35% Average 21% Poor 7% Terrible 2%
- "4 hours delay" Kwok Sun y. 16/06/2016
Announcement re the delays were not made timely and were made only in Swedish (I guess). Value for money Convenience
- "Comfort" . 06/08/2015
It was the perfect choise to do it It can be done faster if it was express but this possibility is not valid as far as i know
- "Vikings on Rails" Werner s. 07/10/2014
I travelled the 3 nordic Countries NOR; SVE and DAN by Rail and was more than impressed, especially also in Relation to the Railway System we have here in Germany Price, Service and everything was super and made my Trip a real Success. Value for money Convenience
- "Good trip" . 13/08/2014
- "Fine but not great" Tze-keng k. 09/07/2014
The facilities are nice and the staff helpful, but there is nobody responding to what had happened in the coach I was in. There were a pair of Chinese mother and son, and they were watching movies from notebook without putting on there headset, making the whole coach filled with the loud music and sound effect. It wasn't pleasant at all, but I don't blame the train staff. Value for money Convenience
- "Average" Wing Kin c. 16/11/2013
- "Journey to Copenhagen" Man Wai Erik l. 30/08/2013
Expensive one-way ticket from Stockholm to Copenhagen (compared with that of the journey from Oslo to Stockholm) Value for money Convenience