Thello Night trains
Find a Train Ticket
- Paris - Venice: 13:24
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Reviews & ratings (117)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Thello Night trains
Thello night trains. Ideal to travel from Paris to Milan, Venice and Florence.
Hop on board the Thello, the night train which travels between France and Italy. Enjoy a delicious dinner and relax in your bed to wake up afresh the next day. This popular service has carried more than 1 million people in the heart of Paris, Florence, Milan or Venice. Travelling at a speed of 180 km/h, the train will allow you to sleep cosily in a comfortable sleeper or couchette. If you have purchased a rail pass, please note that Passholder fares are not offered for Thello trains. Attendants are available at all hours on the Thello. The train attendants will handle customs procedures and wake you up before arriving at your destination.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Thello Night trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
Experience the service
Before you board
The Thello train leaves from Paris-Gare de Lyon in France.You don’t have to check in before travelling. However make sure that you board the train at least 2 minutes before departure. Make sure that you have a ticket which includes a reservation.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Single sleeper||Double and Triple sleeper T3||4-bed Couchettes T4||6-bed Couchettes T6|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Security Lock and spy hole on the door for a maximum privacy and security. small>|
|Drink Bottles of water are available on board. small>|
|Cabin arrangement At your request, an attendant will arrange the cabin for the night. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Wake-up service You will be woke-up about 30 to 60 minutes before the train’s arrival. small>|
Sleepers: your home from home!
- Thello Night trains offer a Sleeper class with 1 to 3 berth-cabins, with gender distinctions in 2 and 3 berth-cabins, except for people who reserve together. Each cabin has a washbasin, a razor socket, a complimentary toiletry kit, and the comfort of a real bed. Attendants can set up your cabin for the night. You also benefit from a wake-up service and a coffee and croissant at the restaurant car.
Couchettes: economical and practical
- Thello Night trains Couchettes offer 4 or 6 berth-cabins with no gender distinction. As in Sleepers, you can benefit from the help of an attendant. The wake-up service between 30 to 60 minutes before your arrival and a bottle of water in the evening are free of charge.
When you eat well, you sleep well!
- The bar is available for a quick snack with hot and cold beverages and light sweet and savoury dishes. The Thello Night train dining car and its restaurant await you with two set menus for a genuine gourmet meal, providing a full meal served at your table. If you are travelling by sleeping car, the attendant will collect your reservation, otherwise simply come to the dining car where you will be seated on a “first come first served” basis.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Each passenger is allowed 2 bags/suitcases plus 1 piece of hand luggage and every piece of luggage must be labelled. Luggage can be stored in the racks above your seat on ICE trains.
- A. This depends mainly on what Eurostar ticket you have. Business Premier passengers can check-in just 10 minutes before departure whereas Standard Premier and Standard passengers need to check-in 30 minutes before departure. To ensure you have time to go through the security checks and passport control, we would recommend you arriving at the station at least 45 minutes prior to your scheduled departure with Eurostar.
- A. No. You need to buy your Eurail Italy pass before travelling to Europe. Just remember that Eurail passes, including Eurail Italy pass, can be bought up to six months in advance of your travel date.
- A. The following items of luggage are accepted at no extra cost on TGV trains and must be stored in the racks provided: hand luggage (suitcases, travel bags, rucksacks); skis in a bag; children’s prams; dismantled bikes in a bag; portable wakeboards in a bag. Also remember that on all French trains, including TGV, it is mandatory to place a tag on each piece of luggage identifying the traveller.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. You can book early a ticket for Italo up to 70 days in advance. The earlier you book, the more likely you will get the lowest price. Italo tickets are can be book up to 3 days before your travel date.
- A. Paper tickets will be sent to you by postal mail prior to departure.
- A. To obtain a refund, please return your unused, unvalidated tickets/pass to your travel agent, or send to your local Raileurope Office. Click here to get the information in our contact us section. Most tickets are required to be returned at least 3 days prior to the departure date, or to be stamped "Unused" at a rail station in Europe to be eligible for a refund. Please add a short note including the original booking number of the order. It is suggested that you send these documents by some type of traceable mail for proof of delivery, should they get lost in the mail.
- A. Our popular Swiss Card provides 1 roundtrip by rail from any Swiss airport or border to 1 single destination. It also includes a 50% discount on all Swiss railways, lake steamers, postal buses, and excursions to mountaintops.
Q. Is it possible to travel from Cologne to Brussels by ICE and back by Thalys with a German Rail Pass Extension coupon?A. You can only travel from Cologne to Brussels with ICE trains. The extension is not valid on the Thalys train. There are 4 daily ICE trains between Germany and Belgium.
answered | Posted by Nur H. | Comments 2 | Created: 24/01/2015
answered | Posted by Robyn A. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/12/2014
answered | Posted by Mihir D. | Comments 2 | Created: 06/12/2014
answered | Posted by Rakhee R. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/11/2014
answered | Posted by Kishore V. | Comments 3 | Created: 16/10/2014
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (117)
Overall appreciationExcellent 12% Very good 20% Average 25% Poor 21% Terrible 22%
"Overall it was a smooth ride"Roger Ka Chun w.
Overall it was a smooth ride but the cabin is very tiny and a bit wore down. Value for money Convenience
"need travel insurance"Robert s. 20/11/2014
unfortunately you can not get sick or have a trip disruption . if you are unable to use your tickets and cannot get to the staion before the travel date you lose the cost of your ticket at least with airlines you would get something back Value for money Convenience
"Interesting night"Marsha m. 20/10/2014
The overnight train was a new adventure for me. It was surprisingly comfortable, and I was pleasantly surprised to have a compartment to myself. The finishes were no doubt clean, but they seemed dingy. Perhaps a refresh is in order? Value for money Convenience
"Easy way to travel"Roberto b. 09/10/2014
Needs to update the fleet Value for money Convenience
"European Adventure."Jason r. 25/08/2014
When it comes to traveling by train, I think you get what you paid for. The bunks were very clean and safe, the staff was knowledgeable, and the ride was on time and convenient. We would use the train again. Value for money Convenience
"Thello night train"Ginny h. 22/07/2014
The sleep on the train was surprisingly comfortable! It was certainly a new experience to sleep while travelling to another different country. There was enough space in a 6 bunk coach. Our train conductor was friendly as well. Only con was the toilet was not very clean and smelt bad. And also during the night we had to switch train compartments as ours had faulty problems (aircond and all electricity items) not working. Was a mad rush to wake up suddenly to be told to move as all other passengers were rushing to their compartments. However, the conductors has allocated us new bunk beds earlier so no arguments on who gets which beds. Other than that, it was great. Value for money Convenience
"Family Trip Paris to Rome"William Lee k. 09/07/2014
Our first overnight train trip. Overall the trip was exciting. The sleeping car was very basic, no frills and had limited amenities. The sleeping car seemed dated and not the cleanest. Value for money Convenience
"Professional and friendly"Caro b. 04/06/2014
We were two ladies travelling together in a couchette. Arriving at the train we realised we had been booked in a couchette with a strange man. We were quite upset as we did not want to share with a man. The conductor was so friendly! she arranged another couchette for the gentleman and we two ladies had a comfortable ride. Thank you Joy for all your help. Value for money Convenience
"Too quiet"Frederick H k. 14/05/2014
Continue our trip from Rome, Milano to Paris on a sleeper coach was another experience. Everything so perfect. Timing and schedule accurate to minute. Friendly ticket check before boarding the train avoiding disturb when sleeping. When train stops it was so quiet like sleeping at home. Will definetly need user friendly staff for breakfast. Value for money Convenience
During overnight journey, toilet flush did not work inthe toilet. Dinner items were not adequate. And that too finished early. Self being handicapped, help with luggage was not readily available. Rest were ok Value for money Convenience
" Comfortable enough for two"Wayne n. 04/08/2013
We had the privilege of travelling from Venice to Paris and used the train to complete our "authentic" experience of the Italian countryside. It was summer during our trip, so the sun set late... wonderful. Thereafter, it was a little tedious and it was very lucky that we had reserved a cabin to ourselves... and that there were only two of us. The customer service officers patrolled the train to help families who were too elderly or had difficulty with the bunks (watch out for the uppermost bunk). CAUTIONS: Our main caution with the train is stairs - people who need assistance with luggage or are frail, the Parisian stations are often without lifts or escalators and in the Italian ones, you are vulnerable to the young men who look helpful but then demand 10-20 Euro for helping you with your luggage! In First class, they collect your passports so that you don't have to be woken at the border crossing. They return them! Skip the breakfast in the morning, it's pretty average fare and... you're in Paris!! Better croissants are just two hours away!!!!!! (our recommendation: try Paul). Taxi from Gare du Lyon to 6e St Germain was 20 Euro. Value for money Convenience
"A good way to travel"Marion c. 31/07/2013
Taking a sleeper train or the long journey from Paris to Rome was less comfortable than I expected. The worst part was the toilet experience. The only way to describe it is disgusting. The toilets did not have a seat. Under normal circumstances that is fine but on a train that is rocking from side to side, trying to crouch can be difficult. This resulted in urine all over the floor. The toilet paper had also run out and there were no hand towels. The bed in the sleeper car was fairly comfortable and the temperature was good despite the intense heat outside. Make sure you bring food with you on the train as the meals available on the train should be used strictly for emergencies only. Value for money Convenience
"Comfy Trip"Tsz Ying w. 07/07/2013
Toilet are clean. Door can be locked and reading light is provided for each couchette. But the lower couchette is a little bit small but still comfortable. Value for money Convenience
"Book Night Train ticket flow"Fung Ling Mandy s. 22/06/2013
The booking procedure of Euro rail was user friendly and easy to understand. Provided a convenience service on delivery and very efficiency on ticket refund due to make an error on my own. Thank of Rail Euro Value for money Convenience
"Review of Thello"Dai Chew h. 13/06/2013
My trip from Paris - Gare De Lyon to Milano Centrale Stazione was a convenient one, the train was on time, the sleeping facilities in the cabin is well equipped, and sufficient for a good rest, fyi, i took the overnight train, T4 couchettes. The train conductors are very helpful to assist in any situations. Thank you Rail Europe, for providing this wonderful experience, for my trip in Europe. Value for money Convenience