Thello Night trains
Great deals to tour Europe!
Get up to € 60 off your booking and enjoy summer in Europe!
Discover iconic cities such as Paris, London and Rome.
Find a Train Ticket
- Paris - Venice: 13:24
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
Reviews & ratings (117)
Why choose us?
3 million travellers in 2013
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Ask any question on our Travel Forum.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Thello Night trains
Thello night trains. Ideal to travel from Paris to Milan, Venice and Florence.
Hop on board the Thello, the night train which travels between France and Italy. Enjoy a delicious dinner and relax in your bed to wake up afresh the next day. This popular service has carried more than 1 million people in the heart of Paris, Florence, Milan or Venice. Travelling at a speed of 180 km/h, the train will allow you to sleep cosily in a comfortable sleeper or couchette. If you have purchased a rail pass, please note that Passholder fares are not offered for Thello trains. Attendants are available at all hours on the Thello. The train attendants will handle customs procedures and wake you up before arriving at your destination.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Thello Night trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
Experience the service
Before you board
The Thello train leaves from Paris-Gare de Lyon in France.You don’t have to check in before travelling. However make sure that you board the train at least 2 minutes before departure. Make sure that you have a ticket which includes a reservation.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Single sleeper||Double and Triple sleeper T3||4-bed Couchettes T4||6-bed Couchettes T6|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Security Lock and spy hole on the door for a maximum privacy and security. small>|
|Drink Bottles of water are available on board. small>|
|Cabin arrangement At your request, an attendant will arrange the cabin for the night. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Wake-up service You will be woke-up about 30 to 60 minutes before the train’s arrival. small>|
Sleepers: your home from home!
- Thello Night trains offer a Sleeper class with 1 to 3 berth-cabins, with gender distinctions in 2 and 3 berth-cabins, except for people who reserve together. Each cabin has a washbasin, a razor socket, a complimentary toiletry kit, and the comfort of a real bed. Attendants can set up your cabin for the night. You also benefit from a wake-up service and a coffee and croissant at the restaurant car.
Couchettes: economical and practical
- Thello Night trains Couchettes offer 4 or 6 berth-cabins with no gender distinction. As in Sleepers, you can benefit from the help of an attendant. The wake-up service between 30 to 60 minutes before your arrival and a bottle of water in the evening are free of charge.
When you eat well, you sleep well!
- The bar is available for a quick snack with hot and cold beverages and light sweet and savoury dishes. The Thello Night train dining car and its restaurant await you with two set menus for a genuine gourmet meal, providing a full meal served at your table. If you are travelling by sleeping car, the attendant will collect your reservation, otherwise simply come to the dining car where you will be seated on a “first come first served” basis.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. If you are having trouble determining what is the best pass for you, click on the blue square button " Search passes ". You'll be helped, on line, to select the best pass for your trip.
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
- A. No. You need to buy your Eurail Italy pass before travelling to Europe. Just remember that Eurail passes, including Eurail Italy pass, can be bought up to six months in advance of your travel date.
- A. In most cases, railpasses are not accepted on city transportation systems such as buses and subways. Passes will generally cover local commuter trains that are above ground. The exception to this is the Swiss Pass, which is valid for transportation in 37 Swiss cities.
- A. Reservation is only compulsory for ICE Trains called ICE Sprinter as these trains have special services such as a meal and newspaper. Here is the list: Hamburg HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Frankfurt HBF- Berlin HBF, Berlin HBF - Frankfurt HBF, Hamburg HBF – Koeln HBF and Koeln HBF – Hamburg HBF. Passes valid to travel within Germany cover Eurail Global and Select Passes including Germany / Eurail Germany-Benelux Pass / Eurail Germany-Denmark Pass / Eurail Germany-France / German Rail Pass.
Q. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the Thalys (Paris to Brussels and Amsterdam)?A. First class on the Thalys offers large comfortable reclining seats and drinks and a light snack served at your seat. Second class on the Thalys offers generous legroom and a selection of drinks and snacks at your seat that are available for purchase.
- A. The following trains require reservations: Eurostar, Thalys, Lyria, all TGV's, AVE, TGV France-Italy, Renfe, Trenitalia, Riveria, Swedish trains, City Night Line, DB (German) night trains, Elipsos, and the Paris-Germany night train. To check if the train you are looking at is on of these trains you just need to look at the details on the fare results to see the type of train in the title. The Swiss Scenic trains and some of the German ICE trains will also need reservations. These are route and time specific.
- A. A "point to point ticket" is a rail ticket valid on a specific route, between two city stations whereas a Eurail Select Pass offers unlimited travel in 3 to 5 adjoining countries on a total list of 24 countries. The Eurail Select Pass allows you to save money if travelling mainly by train from one country to another.
- A. No, but we do offer discounted rate for many of our tickets and passes for Youth passengers. To qualify for a Youth Pass, you must be under age 26 on the first day of travel.
- A. In Comfort1 (First class), drinks and meal are included in the price of your Thalys ticket and served at your seat. Meal includes a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, but also bread and dessert. In Thalys Comfort 2 (second class), you will get access to a bar-buffet car which offers a variety of food and refreshments.
answered | Posted by beverley b. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/07/2015
answered | Posted by Baraa B. | Comments 0 | Created: 07/06/2015
answered | Posted by Sara H. | Comments 0 | Created: 30/04/2015
Travel on 9may from barcelona to nice, then monaco, rome, florence, milan and paris on 18may. what are the options. (...)I'm traveling from Barcelona to Nice on 9May, then to Monaco (11May), Rome (13May) Florence or Milan (16May) and Paris (18May). (...)
answered | Posted by Chonghoe Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 14/04/2015
answered | Posted by Mi K. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/03/2015
Reviews & ratings
Overall rating (117)
Overall appreciationExcellent 12% Very good 20% Average 25% Poor 21% Terrible 22%
"Overall it was a smooth ride"Roger Ka Chun w.
Overall it was a smooth ride but the cabin is very tiny and a bit wore down. Value for money Convenience
"need travel insurance"Robert s. 20/11/2014
unfortunately you can not get sick or have a trip disruption . if you are unable to use your tickets and cannot get to the staion before the travel date you lose the cost of your ticket at least with airlines you would get something back Value for money Convenience
"Interesting night"Marsha m. 20/10/2014
The overnight train was a new adventure for me. It was surprisingly comfortable, and I was pleasantly surprised to have a compartment to myself. The finishes were no doubt clean, but they seemed dingy. Perhaps a refresh is in order? Value for money Convenience
"Easy way to travel"Roberto b. 09/10/2014
Needs to update the fleet Value for money Convenience
"European Adventure."Jason r. 25/08/2014
When it comes to traveling by train, I think you get what you paid for. The bunks were very clean and safe, the staff was knowledgeable, and the ride was on time and convenient. We would use the train again. Value for money Convenience
"Thello night train"Ginny h. 22/07/2014
The sleep on the train was surprisingly comfortable! It was certainly a new experience to sleep while travelling to another different country. There was enough space in a 6 bunk coach. Our train conductor was friendly as well. Only con was the toilet was not very clean and smelt bad. And also during the night we had to switch train compartments as ours had faulty problems (aircond and all electricity items) not working. Was a mad rush to wake up suddenly to be told to move as all other passengers were rushing to their compartments. However, the conductors has allocated us new bunk beds earlier so no arguments on who gets which beds. Other than that, it was great. Value for money Convenience
"Family Trip Paris to Rome"William Lee k. 09/07/2014
Our first overnight train trip. Overall the trip was exciting. The sleeping car was very basic, no frills and had limited amenities. The sleeping car seemed dated and not the cleanest. Value for money Convenience
"Professional and friendly"Caro b. 04/06/2014
We were two ladies travelling together in a couchette. Arriving at the train we realised we had been booked in a couchette with a strange man. We were quite upset as we did not want to share with a man. The conductor was so friendly! she arranged another couchette for the gentleman and we two ladies had a comfortable ride. Thank you Joy for all your help. Value for money Convenience
"Too quiet"Frederick H k. 14/05/2014
Continue our trip from Rome, Milano to Paris on a sleeper coach was another experience. Everything so perfect. Timing and schedule accurate to minute. Friendly ticket check before boarding the train avoiding disturb when sleeping. When train stops it was so quiet like sleeping at home. Will definetly need user friendly staff for breakfast. Value for money Convenience
"Interesting Experience"Frederick H k. 12/05/2014
We traveled from Milan to Paris as a couple and on booking you are really not sure what you are going to get as it is not very specific! We got a carriage with 6 people all random - mixed male and female. I found this rather awkward as it was a Pensioner and a young man of -25 and a young lady and her friend a young guy they were about 20 or so. Fortunately all respectable folk - otherwise this could be potentially a hazardous situation for the young lady if the fellows were not very nice. I feel that the booking needs to be more specific so you can be put into compartments that you are assured to be safe! Also I would have preferred to know that this was not a very fast train, that it stopped quite a few times. How does one know which train is fast and which is slow? The toilet facility was disgusting - but through no fault of the railway - but the people that used it!
"Excellent service"Mikhail v. 13/11/2013
I booked a train ticked for my girlfriend to go from Dijon to Bologna and the price and the convenience was much better that with sncf. Value for money Convenience
During overnight journey, toilet flush did not work inthe toilet. Dinner items were not adequate. And that too finished early. Self being handicapped, help with luggage was not readily available. Rest were ok Value for money Convenience
"6 bed berth". 24/09/2013
it was terrible especiall at the lowest bed portion... noisy train
"Night train to Paris". 23/08/2013
I was travelling with my elderly parents and two boys. My younger one is less than two years old so need not pay for the ride and not allocated a seat. We were allocated 4 seats/couchettes in a cabin that can accomadate 6 persons. To our surprise, another 2 persons were also assigned to the cabin. In view of so many people in the cabin, the ride was not that comfortable. The couchettes is so narrow, you can hardly toss around while sleeping alone, let alone with a baby by your side. The train was quite old, making a lot of noise while travelling and kind of shaky. Last but not least, some toilet is not well-maintained, the flushing system is spoiled.
" Comfortable enough for two"Wayne n. 04/08/2013
We had the privilege of travelling from Venice to Paris and used the train to complete our "authentic" experience of the Italian countryside. It was summer during our trip, so the sun set late... wonderful. Thereafter, it was a little tedious and it was very lucky that we had reserved a cabin to ourselves... and that there were only two of us. The customer service officers patrolled the train to help families who were too elderly or had difficulty with the bunks (watch out for the uppermost bunk). CAUTIONS: Our main caution with the train is stairs - people who need assistance with luggage or are frail, the Parisian stations are often without lifts or escalators and in the Italian ones, you are vulnerable to the young men who look helpful but then demand 10-20 Euro for helping you with your luggage! In First class, they collect your passports so that you don't have to be woken at the border crossing. They return them! Skip the breakfast in the morning, it's pretty average fare and... you're in Paris!! Better croissants are just two hours away!!!!!! (our recommendation: try Paul). Taxi from Gare du Lyon to 6e St Germain was 20 Euro. Value for money Convenience