UK TrainsUnited Kingdom: National Rail
- London - Edinburgh: 04:19
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
UK trains link all Britain from London to Oxford, Glasgow to Edinburg and Cardiff to Birmingham etc.
Great Britain is full of contrasts, whichever direction you travel you will find a wide variety of landscapes. Hop on and discover the countryside by train in a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. From cosmopolitan and vibrant cities to historic places and their richness in heritage, trains will take you everywhere.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Along 15,795 kilometres of tracks, 23 Train Operating Companies work together for providing the most complete rail network. Long distance traffic, Regional and National lines, everything is made to ease each kind of rail travel.
With its 14 terminals from which the main lines connect to the other parts of Great Britain, London is the hub of the UK rail network. The large choice of schedules will be the opportunity to tailor-make your journey and easily plan day trips to visit Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton or Windsor in one day from London.
From East to West or North to South, and although a few of them are High Speed trains, UK rail network trains run all year long and offer quick connections across the regions. Here are some examples of routes and best travel times:
|London Paddington - Oxford||0h53|
|London Waterloo - Portsmouth||1h35|
|London St Pancras - Dover Priory||1h09|
|Cardiff Central - Birmingham New Street||2h|
|Glasgow - Edinburg||0h58|
|London||Stratford Upon A||01:59||€ 8|
|Hull Gb||London||02:34||€ 35|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- UK Trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Most of the stations are equipped with self-service ticket machines where you will be able to collect your Print @ the station ticket. First class is ideal for business travellers as well as for passengers who want to be pampered. First class tickets provide access to first class lounges in the main stations.
|First class||Second class|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board certain trains. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. Thalys trains offer two classes of travel: 1st class with Comfort 1 and 2nd class with Comfort 2. In Comfort 1, reclining seats will offer you a high level of comfort. Sockets for laptop or mobile phone are also available on some carriages as well as free newspapers on major routes. Wi-Fi is free in Thalys Comfort 1 and in 2nd class with flexible tickets. In 2nd class (Comfort 2), you will get access to a bar-buffet car offering food and refreshments for purchase. Wi-Fi is available at an additional cost in second class for more restrictive tickets.
- A. The following trains require reservations: Eurostar, Thalys, Lyria, all TGV's, AVE, TGV France-Italy, Renfe, Trenitalia, Riveria, Swedish trains, City Night Line, DB (German) night trains, Elipsos, and the Paris-Germany night train. To check if the train you are looking at is on of these trains you just need to look at the details on the fare results to see the type of train in the title. The Swiss Scenic trains and some of the German ICE trains will also need reservations. These are route and time specific.
- A. You will be offered the Print @ home ticket delivery to travel on board Italo trains in Italy. Receive your ticket reference in your inbox, print it and you are ready to travel. The Print @ home is more convenient and has no shipping fees.
- A. Eurostar is a reservation-only service and bookings can be taken up to 6 months in advance. Also bear in mind that Eurostar is not included in the Eurail pass or France Rail Pass program but you can still get a discount on Eurostar when buying a pass.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A. With a Eurail Italy pass, you can get free and discounted ferry crossings, as well as other great offers in museums and monuments. 1st class pass holders are entitled to free transfers between Roma Fiumicino Airport and Roma Termini train station on the Leonardo Express and also between Pisa airport and Florence central station.
- A. Most cites with airports are easily accessible by public transportation (Train, Bus, Subway or Taxi). The following airports listed have access to the downtown train stations: Amsterdam Schiphol, Athens, Barcelona, Berlin Schoenefeld, Birmingham, Brussels National, Cologne, Copenhagen, Dresden, Duesseldorf, Frankfurt, Geneva-Cointrin, Glasgow, Graz, Hannover, Krakow, Leipzig, London Gatwick, London Heathrow, London Stanstead, Madrid, Malaga, Manchester, Munich, Milan Malpensa, Newcastle, Nice, Nuremberg, Oslo, Palermo, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Pisa, Porto, Rome Fiumicino, Southampton, Stockholm, Stuttgart , Torino, Tronheim, Valencia, Vienna , and Zurich.
- A. Breakfast is served before 11:00 a.m.; lunch is served between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00pm A snack is served between 2:00pm and 5:00pm Dinner is served after 5:00pm.
- A. Eurostar Direct Services can connect you directly from London to Paris, but also Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Paris and on a seasonal basis to Avignon in summer and to the French Alps during winter with a single weekly connection.
answered | Posted by Rafique D. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
answered | Posted by Darshan P. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/12/2015
answered | Posted by Vandana A. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/12/2015
answered | Posted by Carlos O. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/12/2015
answered | Posted by Shani E. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/11/2015
Reviews & ratings UK Trains
Overall rating (145)
Overall appreciationExcellent 34% Very good 37% Average 21% Poor 2% Terrible 5%
- "good experience " Kin Chee c. 25/05/2016
The booking fee is a bit too expensive, making the total ticket price less attractive. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Trip" Filipe l. 23/05/2016
An easy way and fast to travel. It will be an option in the future. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice travel" Marilia c. 18/05/2016
Very nice landscapes along the way. Value for money Convenience
- "Enjoyable Trip to Edinburgh" Png Hock l. 15/05/2016
The train ride from King Cross to Edinburgh was very convenient and comfortable. We enjoy and appreciate the clean cabin, good service and courteous staff at the waiting lounge and during the train ride. Value for money Convenience
- "Too Slow" Mee Yoke q. 07/05/2016
Total travel time is too long, many stops! Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable, Fast Travel" Geodino c. 06/03/2016
We bought tickets overseas online. Printing the ticket from any London station was easy. Getting into the train was effortless, even while carrying suitcases. We made the mistake of buying our own food to eat on the train only to find out meals and, even wine was provided. Value for money Convenience
- "Inconvenience at the station:" Vera n. 26/02/2016
My friend and I arrived at 14.58 to the gates, and our train was at 15:00. (the delay was caused because we got a bit lost as it was our first time in London) We were inquiring about which gate to take and running insanely with our luggage, and we asked an employee for directions.(They were just calling for the last passengers to get on the train) The guy, very slowly, told us that we missed it and we should get new tickets. Long story short, we previously paid about 30 pounds online for our tickets to Edinburgh, and we had to pay 125 extra pounds EACH for the next ticket. (at 3:30) (they redeemed only one ticket since the other stayed with the employee previously mentioned) I think that this amount of money is huge to pay considering we arrived 2 mins late, especially that we are new to the city and we were on a tight budget. The trip itself was enjoyable and smooth. I still have the tickets' receipts if requested. Thank you for your concern. Vera Noun, Lebanon. Value for money Convenience
- "problem with train time table " Jacob b. 26/02/2016
when we arrived at Preston we had to run in order to catch the train to Blackpool that on the time table needed to leave 25 min later and it was the last one riding to Blackpool because when we arrived the train station closed the gate so it was lucky we didn't miss it ????? Value for money Convenience
- "Great" Tiago k. 13/01/2016
Everything was clear since Edinburgh to London. Pretty confortable. Nothing tô complain about it. I just thought it expensive. Value for money Convenience
- "Recent train travel" Deirdre h. 16/12/2015
My journey both to and from London would have been excellent however both journeys were rather marred by long delays near Alnmouth following some sort of electrical problem 2 hours going south and one and a half on the return 5 days later. However we were informed that we would be given a refund on any tickets by Virgin for these delays which considerably helped my feelings, however I did not have any connections as others did. Delays aside the service was very good and at least we were kept informed on the problem and given free wifi for the duration. Value for money
- "Trip to Manshester Picadally" Muhammad Fairuz k. 16/12/2015
Had a fun experience onboard train to Manchester Picadally from London Euston. As we book the tickets online, its very convenience for collection as well as the staff is very helpful in assisting us for direction and question. The first class lounge is good but more can be done to upgrade it. Its the most memorable experience we had and look forward to use it on our nxt trip. Value for money Convenience
- "Good but a little expensive" Sushmita m. 02/12/2015
Good Value for money Convenience
- "Totally enjoyed my ride" Otar m. 15/10/2015
I went from London to Edinburgh and train is the most convenient way for this ride. Clean and comfortable seats having even plugs for mobile phone and computers. I enjoyed the whole ride and would recommend to everyone who wants to travel within UK. Value for money Convenience
- "Lovely station-nice journey" . 07/10/2015
We reached Euston well in time , only to realize that it was a good decision . Enjoyed our cuppa coffee and lunch in the nice sunny weather. The journey to Manchester was nice and comfortable and value for money. Getting my tickets printed at the station was a breeze....
- "We were happy" Natalia t. 17/09/2015
Train was comfortable, on time and value for money. Thank you! Value for money Convenience