UK TrainsUnited Kingdom: National Rail
- London - Edinburgh: 04:19
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
UK trains link all Britain from London to Oxford, Glasgow to Edinburg and Cardiff to Birmingham etc.
Great Britain is full of contrasts, whichever direction you travel you will find a wide variety of landscapes. Hop on and discover the countryside by train in a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. From cosmopolitan and vibrant cities to historic places and their richness in heritage, trains will take you everywhere.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Along 15,795 kilometres of tracks, 23 Train Operating Companies work together for providing the most complete rail network. Long distance traffic, Regional and National lines, everything is made to ease each kind of rail travel.
With its 14 terminals from which the main lines connect to the other parts of Great Britain, London is the hub of the UK rail network. The large choice of schedules will be the opportunity to tailor-make your journey and easily plan day trips to visit Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton or Windsor in one day from London.
From East to West or North to South, and although a few of them are High Speed trains, UK rail network trains run all year long and offer quick connections across the regions. Here are some examples of routes and best travel times:
|London Paddington - Oxford||0h53|
|London Waterloo - Portsmouth||1h35|
|London St Pancras - Dover Priory||1h09|
|Cardiff Central - Birmingham New Street||2h|
|Glasgow - Edinburg||0h58|
|London||Stratford Upon A||01:59||€ 8|
|Hull Gb||London||02:34||€ 35|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- UK Trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Most of the stations are equipped with self-service ticket machines where you will be able to collect your Print @ the station ticket. First class is ideal for business travellers as well as for passengers who want to be pampered. First class tickets provide access to first class lounges in the main stations.
|First class||Second class|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board certain trains. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. There is also a train connection from Munich to Prague, can I use these trains to travel to Prague with the coupon?A. No, the German Rail Pass Extension is only valid on the DB Expressbus between Munich/Nuremberg and Prague.
- A. There is no check in or customs procedures for Italo trains. However ticket control or ID checks can occur randomly on board. Make sure to have your travel documents with you at all times.
- A. AVE trains can be booked up to 60 days in advance, giving you plenty of time to plan the trip of your life is sunny Spain.
- A. The Swiss Family Card is a terrific value that allows children under 16 years of age to travel free when accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The card is free, simply request one at the time you purchase your Swiss Pass. If you forget to mention it, then present your Swiss pass before boarding the train at any Swiss train station ticket window, at the time of validation and advise them that you need a Family Card. They will be able to provide you one.
- A. Lyria trains offer two different classes of travel. In First class, a delicious cold at-seat meal is offered to you, no matter what time you travel. A large selection of Swiss, French, international magazines and newspapers are also available for your perusal. Onboard taxi booking service is also available from Monday to Friday. Comfortable seats will welcome you in Second class where you can also enjoy the convenience of a bar-buffet car.
- A. TGV trains offer a buffet car where you can find a vast choice of hot and cold meals. Drinks and snacks are also available at vending machines on all TGV trains. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drink onto the train.
- A. Validation of your pass is having a Rail Official at the train station stamp your pass as valid.
- A. The Eurail Select Pass is valid on trains operated by the national railways of the three to five bordering countries you select. However, some trains require seat reservations. For example, for many high-speed services, international trains, scenic trains and all night trains, an advance reservation is compulsory.
- A. The following trains require reservations: Eurostar, Thalys, Lyria, all TGV's, AVE, TGV France-Italy, Renfe, Trenitalia, Riveria, Swedish trains, City Night Line, DB (German) night trains, Elipsos, and the Paris-Germany night train. To check if the train you are looking at is on of these trains you just need to look at the details on the fare results to see the type of train in the title. The Swiss Scenic trains and some of the German ICE trains will also need reservations. These are route and time specific.
- A. A travel day lasts 24 hours, in which you can take as many trains as you wish.
answered | Posted by Rafique D. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
answered | Posted by Darshan P. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/12/2015
answered | Posted by Vandana A. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/12/2015
answered | Posted by Carlos O. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/12/2015
answered | Posted by Shani E. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/11/2015
Reviews & ratings UK Trains
Overall rating (145)
Overall appreciationExcellent 34% Very good 37% Average 21% Poor 2% Terrible 5%
- "Comfortable, Fast Travel" Geodino c. 06/03/2016
We bought tickets overseas online. Printing the ticket from any London station was easy. Getting into the train was effortless, even while carrying suitcases. We made the mistake of buying our own food to eat on the train only to find out meals and, even wine was provided. Value for money Convenience
- "Inconvenience at the station:" Vera n. 26/02/2016
My friend and I arrived at 14.58 to the gates, and our train was at 15:00. (the delay was caused because we got a bit lost as it was our first time in London) We were inquiring about which gate to take and running insanely with our luggage, and we asked an employee for directions.(They were just calling for the last passengers to get on the train) The guy, very slowly, told us that we missed it and we should get new tickets. Long story short, we previously paid about 30 pounds online for our tickets to Edinburgh, and we had to pay 125 extra pounds EACH for the next ticket. (at 3:30) (they redeemed only one ticket since the other stayed with the employee previously mentioned) I think that this amount of money is huge to pay considering we arrived 2 mins late, especially that we are new to the city and we were on a tight budget. The trip itself was enjoyable and smooth. I still have the tickets' receipts if requested. Thank you for your concern. Vera Noun, Lebanon. Value for money Convenience
- "problem with train time table " Jacob b. 26/02/2016
when we arrived at Preston we had to run in order to catch the train to Blackpool that on the time table needed to leave 25 min later and it was the last one riding to Blackpool because when we arrived the train station closed the gate so it was lucky we didn't miss it ????? Value for money Convenience
- "Great" Tiago k. 13/01/2016
Everything was clear since Edinburgh to London. Pretty confortable. Nothing tô complain about it. I just thought it expensive. Value for money Convenience
- "Recent train travel" Deirdre h. 16/12/2015
My journey both to and from London would have been excellent however both journeys were rather marred by long delays near Alnmouth following some sort of electrical problem 2 hours going south and one and a half on the return 5 days later. However we were informed that we would be given a refund on any tickets by Virgin for these delays which considerably helped my feelings, however I did not have any connections as others did. Delays aside the service was very good and at least we were kept informed on the problem and given free wifi for the duration. Value for money
- "Trip to Manshester Picadally" Muhammad Fairuz k. 16/12/2015
Had a fun experience onboard train to Manchester Picadally from London Euston. As we book the tickets online, its very convenience for collection as well as the staff is very helpful in assisting us for direction and question. The first class lounge is good but more can be done to upgrade it. Its the most memorable experience we had and look forward to use it on our nxt trip. Value for money Convenience
- "Good but a little expensive" Sushmita m. 02/12/2015
Good Value for money Convenience
- "Totally enjoyed my ride" Otar m. 15/10/2015
I went from London to Edinburgh and train is the most convenient way for this ride. Clean and comfortable seats having even plugs for mobile phone and computers. I enjoyed the whole ride and would recommend to everyone who wants to travel within UK. Value for money Convenience
- "Lovely station-nice journey" . 07/10/2015
We reached Euston well in time , only to realize that it was a good decision . Enjoyed our cuppa coffee and lunch in the nice sunny weather. The journey to Manchester was nice and comfortable and value for money. Getting my tickets printed at the station was a breeze....
- "We were happy" Natalia t. 17/09/2015
Train was comfortable, on time and value for money. Thank you! Value for money Convenience
- "family vacation" Lisa w. 29/07/2015
the train service was very convenient for our traveling needs Value for money Convenience
- "The Fastest way to travel " Stephen f. 10/07/2015
We chose to travel by train after checking the alternatives.The 2 hour train journey is the fastest.As i bought the tickets on line in Israeli Shekels it also worked out cheaper.A very comfortable train which it kept clean by having the rubbish removed frequently. Value for money Convenience
- "IMPRESSED BY RIGHT TIME" . 30/06/2015
that was good, convienience and excellent services, it was my first time travel by rail and next time i will prefer to rail service other than by plan. bye have a nice day. Patras
- "Travel to Edinburgh" . 26/06/2015
The train to Edinburgh was fast and comfortable. More variety of food in the food shop on sale will be good. As couldn't buy food before boarding and there was not much choices. The toilet was clean and fresh. The compartments were also clean. I really like it
- "A promised journey" Ho Lam l. 08/06/2015
Seats were very comfortable. The train departed amd arrived stations on time without delay. Connections to WIFI can better. Overall the journey was very good. Value for money Convenience