Experience a journey back in time as you travel from Wilderswil to Interlaken Ost to board a vintage cogwheel train. This magnificent vintage train, complete with wooden seats and conductors in uniforms from years gone by, will carry you up to Schynige Platte. Within an hour, you will reach the top and spectacular views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura will present themselves to you. Aside from the striking scenery, take some time to visit the Botanical Alpine Garden, the only one of its kind in Switzerland housing nearly 600 species of plants. If the active life is more your pace, this is the perfect place to hit the trails and discover nature on a hike. Feeling hungry? Enjoy the charming restaurant with terrace, and visit the mountain’s hotel! And a bonus, Swiss Travel Pass holders can enjoy all the amazing things to see and do on Schynige Platte for free! Don’t miss out on this one-in-a-lifetime excursion, memories are just waiting to be made!
Experience the beauty of Schynige Platte on nostalgic ride
- From Interlaken Ost board the unique cogwheel train with vintage wooden seats reminiscent of its 1893 inaugural journey up the Schynige Platte
- Visit the Alpine Botanical garden
- Issued as a paper document
- Impressive views of Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, and lakes Thun and Brienz
- Children under 6 travel free sharing adult passenger’s seat
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
• Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schynige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
• The 52-minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found:
• The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
• Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
• Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
• Easy circular hiking trails.
• Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
• Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
• Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
• Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
• All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
• Children under 6 are free.
• Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
• Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
• Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
• Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
• Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather, the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
• Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. If I register on your site, will I start receiving spam?
A. Rail Europe will never spam you! Upon registering, you will only receive booking and/or account related messages, as well as occasional promotion information email from Rail Europe. If you chose to subscribe to our newsletter, you can expect to receive this publication as well (typically twice a month). Of course, you have the option to unsubscribe to at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of the newsletter.
Q. What language is spoken at the train station and on the train?
A. Typically at the train station and on board the train the local language is spoken. Announcements at the station and on board the train will be made in the local language of the departure station.
Q. How can I contact Rail Europe prior to my departure to Europe?
A. Please send us a message from our Contact Us page and we will respond to you via email within 24 to 48 hours.
Q. Do I need to make a reservation if I’m traveling with a rail pass on an overnight train?
A. Yes. Even with your rail pass, you will need to make a reservation on any overnight train. Reservations are required for sleeping compartments, couchettes, and seats. Depending on where you’re traveling, the guidelines of the specific train and/or the type of rail pass you have, you may be entitled to purchase a reservation in place of a full price ticket.
You can search for overnight reservations directly on our website - just be sure to select the "I have a rail pass" option.
Q. Can I get the address and phone number for the train station?
A. We offer specific train station information and maps with approximate locations of many of the most popular train stations in Europe.
In general, you’ll find that stations are centrally located and conveniently reached via public transportation and most airport-to-city links.
Q. Does your website display all trains operating for the route searched?
A. We strive to provide the most comprehensive European rail booking engine online. We have specific partnerships with most European railroads. These partnerships determine the extent to which we are able to provide complete and accurate schedules through our booking engine.
For many countries, our schedules match the complete offerings of the European train companies. But occasionally, some train companies do not load schedules for all local trains. Also, schedules for certain private trains may not be available through our booking engine.
Q. Who should I contact with questions about my exchange or refund?
A. You can visit our Contact Us page to send us a message about exchanges and refunds.
In your message, please be sure to include the original booking number, your contact information, and which item(s) you’re requesting a refund for. If you’re requesting an exchange under the Rail Protection Plan™, note this in your email as well.
Q. Where do I find my booking number?
A. Your unique booking number is located in the confirmation we will email you. If you have created an account, you can also visit your dashboard to see your booking(s).
Please note: this is NOT the number you will use to retrieve your print at the station tickets locally in Europe; please review your invoice for the applicable e-ticket confirmation codes needed to retrieve your tickets.
Q. Are there smoking and non smoking sections on trains?
A. Smoking is not permitted on any trains in Great Britain, Denmark, Ireland, Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg), France, Hungary, Spain, Turkey, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Norway, Sweden, or Poland.
Smoking is restricted on trains in Finland and the Czech Republic.
Smoking is also prohibited in lavatories and dining cars. And you must observe special regulations at stations where you usually find dedicated smoking areas or rooms.
Q. Can I customize my group trip (meals on board, train station transfers)?
A. We love groups, and we do everything we can to make the experience as pleasurable as possible. We offer onboard catering, motor coach transfers to and from the train station, as well as luggage handling at select stations. For more information fill out our Group Quote form and a dedicated group consultant will respond to your request.